Need help on an 09 LT, top trunk loose - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Need help on an 09 LT, top trunk loose

HI, hopefully someone can help me on this. The 2 rear bolts holding the top trunk on my 09 LT are loose. Upon checking my Clymers I found that it is for 99 to 05 (old LT was an 02 that I wore out w/97K on it) Anyways, It seems that the top trunk has been redesigned and the old instructions to remove it do not work. I need to remove the interior covering somehow to get to the bolts. Under the old system there was a knobbed screw and a clip to remove the interior covering. Does anyone out there know how to remove the interior lining without cutting it or updated instructions to get to the screws/bolts? Thanks in advance for any guidance in this. Ride Safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Re: Need help on an 09 LT, top trunk loose

It looks to me like there in the speaker area on the top. Im not seeing any huge change in my book. My book is a 99 - 2009 there also was a 2005 to 2009 book.
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 6:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by det130
HI, hopefully someone can help me on this. The 2 rear bolts holding the top trunk on my 09 LT are loose. Upon checking my Clymers I found that it is for 99 to 05 (old LT was an 02 that I wore out w/97K on it) Anyways, It seems that the top trunk has been redesigned and the old instructions to remove it do not work. I need to remove the interior covering somehow to get to the bolts. Under the old system there was a knobbed screw and a clip to remove the interior covering. Does anyone out there know how to remove the interior lining without cutting it or updated instructions to get to the screws/bolts? Thanks in advance for any guidance in this. Ride Safe
On the left of the trunk is a nob that the strap goes through, remove that. Then at the front by the latch are two clips, between the outside shell and inside lining, that you can pop loose with a flat blade screw driver. The back of the lining is held by velcro.

Thats it.

BTM, HOLD onto the top lid after you take out the knob.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Aug 6th, 2013 at 7:23 pm.

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 7:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Following John Baker's instructions, be sure to prevent chipping the upper lip of the trunk when using the screwdriver to pry it out. I use a nylon pry bar I got from Harbor Freight - it works great and won't hurt the paint.
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 7:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003
Following John Baker's instructions, be sure to prevent chipping the upper lip of the trunk when using the screwdriver to pry it out. I use a nylon pry bar I got from Harbor Freight - it works great and won't hurt the paint.
I should have said a really large flat blade...as in width. I like the nylon pry bar idea.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 6:44 am Thread Starter

thanks all will try
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 9th, 2013, 12:13 am
Sit

Did you get it out? I use a very marrow small but long screw driver. Shine a light down in the space by the latch and you will see the plastic tab that holds the liner in. Press it back with the screw driver, no need to hulk it, just a bit of pressure to move it. While doing this pull up on the liner just a bit. It will come up enough to keep the tab from clicking back into place. Then do the other side. Also, the front of the liner is held in with velcro, pull it lose first, then do tabs. Then the liner pulls out and you can get to the bolts. Of course you have to do the retention strap first before everything or you can't get liner out. If the tabs break, don't sweat it, they hold it in place, but not like its going to fall out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 K1200LT-Ocean Blue
1989 K100RS - Blue & White
1992 K75S - Black
2013 Ural Patrol - Sold
2007 R1200GS-Granite Gray-Sold
2004 R1150R-Titan Silver-Sold
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 10:14 am Thread Starter

NOt yet, wsa gona do it Sat, but said screw it and went riding instead. I don't have the 'knob' by the latch cover or where the strap to hold the top half is, But there is a 4 sided screw, figure the guy who had it beofre me took it off. I think the guy b4 me took alot of things off and on as many parts are 'loose' a month afte I got it at MAX BMW in CT, the windshield came partway off, then a side chrome strip fell off, then when I washed it, water leaked into the panel and gear shift indicator didn't work for a week Now the top trunk. gotta luv backyard mechanics who think they know more then they do. Also, one of the screws for oil pan cover is stripped.
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 10:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by det130
Also, one of the screws for oil pan cover is stripped.
Since Max did/should have done an oil change on the bike before they sold it to you, I would ask them to fix the stripped screw. After all they were there last.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in