KN-163 (Oil Filter) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 9:57 am Thread Starter

KN-163 (Oil Filter)

That is the number of the K&N oil filter for the LT.

It has a wrench protrusion that makes it easy to remove and fits in the well on the LT with no problems.

I know some people don't like the K&N filters but I haven't heard of any reasons why they don't like them. To me, I like being able to put a wrench on it to remove the dayum thing cause of where it is.

Anyone have any valid reasons on not using this filter on an LT?

[B]It STILL don't make me no nevermind![/B]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:18 am

Re: KN-163 (Oil Filter)

Oil filters? they are fine. It's the air filters that have the problems, they cause oil burning issues and they let a LOT of dirt into the engine.

Plus they are just snake oil, Most car magazines have proven that the K&N air filter does nothing at all over a standard paper filter. Back in the early muscle car days they did work as the air cleaners were designed for small engines slapped on big V8's but motorcycles have restrictive intakes to begin with so no filter made will make any difference at all other than making the wallet lighter.

They don't make any extravagant claims on their oil filters, and I believe they are actually made by Champion.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #3 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
It's the air filters that have the problems, they let a LOT of dirt into the engine.
Tim, letting lots of small particles pass is what I've heard from one of our resident engine experts regarding the K&N air filters. I have asked for his opinion on the oil filters in the thread "Low on Oil".

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909

post #4 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 12:20 pm

I have my oil analysed, and have seen no indication of any increase in "dirt" in any of the engines on which I use K&N air filters.
I did see an increase in "silica" when I used Redline oil, but it turns out that they used silica as their anti-foaming agent. Don't use Redline anymore.
post #5 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 3:35 pm

You wont see it in the oil until your rings wear out from the dirt. You will see it in the TB and air intakes though.. When I used them on carbeurated engines, the Carbs got a lot more dirt in them the years I used K&N compared to cheap paper filter years.

post #6 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Stick with the recommended paper type air filter element, it is designed to match the EFI (engine management system) by having a specific pressure drop across it. Anything different causes changes. As for the oil filter, just be aware that not all oil filters which fit in the same position have the same pressure relief valve setting. Some have no pressure relief valve at all. The purpose of the pressure relief valve is to allow filter bypass when oil is cold, thereby ensuring the filter media isn't stressed and the engine pressurised lubrication system is not starved. Lots to lose when it all goes pear shaped, not a lot to gain, except the saving of a few $$$.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #7 of 19 Old Aug 6th, 2013, 8:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Everything you wanted to know about filters and more http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters

Cross reference and filter recommendations http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Usually Ron would have posted this by now, he must be on vacation.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Aug 6th, 2013 at 8:35 pm.
post #8 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 10:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Everything you wanted to know about filters and more http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Fil...tml#OilFilters

Cross reference and filter recommendations http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Usually Ron would have posted this by now, he must be on vacation.
Thanks for the links John!

Seeing as I have JUST changed my oil and installed the K&N-163, is there any negatives on using this filter?

I just replaced what came on the bike when I bought it. I ran the old K&N for 6K miles with no apparent problems but I will be the first to tell you that I don't know everything there is to know ;-)

post #9 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 11:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish
Seeing as I have JUST changed my oil and installed the K&N-163, is there any negatives on using this filter?
There are a few folks that usually chime in (Ronkmiller) was the Ron I mentioned, I think the consensus is that use the best filter you can afford and you can justify taking whatever risk comes with the filter you pick. The article I linked you to does not recommend using KN filters.
I just buy the BMW filter's from either beemerbonyard or my local dealer, ebay etc.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #10 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 1:09 pm

Quote:
You wont see it in the oil until your rings wear out from the dirt. You will see it in the TB and air intakes though.. When I used them on carbeurated engines, the Carbs got a lot more dirt in them the years I used K&N compared to cheap paper filter years.
Not going to argue this point. Did have an interesting thing happen on my last oil change (my Ford V10 PU). Got a high dirt reading, which was unusual for that rig as it had been running pretty clean up to then. A suggestion was made that I check the gasket on the back side of my air filter. Sure enough, I had folded it over itself in one spot, thus allowing unfiltered air to bypass into the system.
So either the air filter has working, or my rings are already worn out
post #11 of 19 Old Aug 7th, 2013, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Not going to argue this point. Did have an interesting thing happen on my last oil change (my Ford V10 PU). Got a high dirt reading, which was unusual for that rig as it had been running pretty clean up to then. A suggestion was made that I check the gasket on the back side of my air filter. Sure enough, I had folded it over itself in one spot, thus allowing unfiltered air to bypass into the system.
So either the air filter has working, or my rings are already worn out
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Here is proof from a 3rd party that did testing, K&N passes more dirt. Very cool that you can afford oil testing regularly. Has it made any difference? do you have old data from when you ran a paper filter?

Last edited by timgray; Aug 7th, 2013 at 4:14 pm.
post #12 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 12:57 am

Well hell, if "Bob, the oil guy" has posted proof on the internet that K&N passes more dirt, I'm switching out all my K&N filters and K&N may as well just shut the doors.
And now it will no longer be "very cool" that I could afford a $9 oil test that has clearly made no difference.
WTF? Is it just me?
Yeah, probably.
post #13 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 5:26 am

Quote:
Well hell, if "Bob, the oil guy" has posted proof on the internet that K&N passes more dirt, I'm switching out all my K&N filters and K&N may as well just shut the doors.
And now it will no longer be "very cool" that I could afford a $9 oil test that has clearly made no difference.
WTF? Is it just me?
Yeah, probably.

There is no need to be a complete jerk, I provided a link with some real data, and ask a friendly question and you wig out trying to be as rude as you possible can be.

Last edited by timgray; Aug 8th, 2013 at 5:34 am.
post #14 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 8:08 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
There is no need to be a complete jerk, I provided a link with some real data, and ask a friendly question and you wig out trying to be as rude as you possible can be.
Tim,
Take this little friendly suggestion while you are posting on the site. Sometimes typed messages don't convey all the thinking behind them and intentions can be misinterpreted.

Frank presented his "real" data and you decided you knew better. It isn't helpful to always challenge other posts with "your" real data unless it is actually your data. So after you poked the bear a couple times you take offense and call him names.

Since you are kinda new here it might be helpful for you to re-read the Welcome message on the home page. Just saying.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #15 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 8:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Tim,
Take this little friendly suggestion while you are posting on the site. Sometimes typed messages don't convey all the thinking behind them and intentions can be misinterpreted.

Frank presented his "real" data and you decided you knew better. It isn't helpful to always challenge other posts with "your" real data unless it is actually your data. So after you poked the bear a couple times you take offense and call him names.

Since you are kinda new here it might be helpful for you to re-read the Welcome message on the home page. Just saying.
His data does not correlate with my data or others observed experience, including a well known and highly respected online source and i graciously I share that data, then I nicely asked if he can share his data because more than 1 data point tells the story in a complete way.

post #16 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 2:03 pm

Thanks for the back-up John, but it's OK. I know what a jerk I can be. I just don't react well to bonehead statements (not that anyone has made any, and not calling anyone a bonehead either).

I was recently burned by an article posted on the internet by a well respected contributor. It happened when Slick Willy, a contributor to LatinLoveLubeConnection.com, said that I could place a paper filter on my condom IF dirt was getting past her rings while making love on the beach, and all chafing would stop. Well, I'm hear to tell you that IT DIDN'T WORK! Switched to a K&N, and while it was a bit more bulky, it stopped all dirt from getting past her well worn rings.
So you see John, I've learned that just because it was posted on the internet, it wasn't proof. And I have also learned that if my data does not correlate with others, it's probably wrong.
post #17 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Switched to a K&N, and while it was a bit more bulky, it stopped all dirt from getting past her well worn rings.
Once again a bigger tool was the answer

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #18 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 4:06 pm

Smile Re: KN-163 (Oil Filter)

It is just an oil filter. Use what you want, it is your bike. I use Napa filters and have for many years. Take the sticker off, clean off the glue and put it in. Yes, it is painted, has any paint ever come off? No...
We don't need to get pissy with each other over a damn oil filter... I use what I want to use, I bought the bike, paid for it, no one else. I take into consideration the suggestions on here and then I do what I want to do. If it the wrong decision it is my fault. Have I ever had the oil analyzed in the last 128k miles , no. Do I care to? No.. I put in the recommended oil viscosity, top it up if it is a bit low , change it and the filter every 6 k miles or so. I also use a k&n air filter, clean it once a year and put it back in. The bike has done well for the last 11 years.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #19 of 19 Old Aug 8th, 2013, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

The way that I see it, if the filter is the right micron rating and the bypass valve is set to the right pressure, then the nut on the end is just icing on the cake!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in