LT Intercom? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2013, 5:08 am Thread Starter

LT Intercom?

I have a 09 LT, Does it have a built in intercom? There is an asterisk above the CD button. I assume its a Bluetooth system....I'm trying to figure out why once in a while our Nolan B4 intercoms just shut off. Could it be interference? Any help is welcome Thank you

When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.
Colonel. Theodore Roosevelt

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who would do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. Albert Einstein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2013, 8:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: LT Intercom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperjon
I have a 09 LT, Does it have a built in intercom? There is an asterisk above the CD button. I assume its a Bluetooth system....I'm trying to figure out why once in a while our Nolan B4 intercoms just shut off. Could it be interference? Any help is welcome Thank you
The Lt does not have any stock Bluetooth capability, so no bluetooth unless someone added something. Open the oddments lid (where the CD is), if there is there a rotary swith above the CD then you have an intercom and it is hardwired only. I would say you have an issue with the Nolan. HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2013, 12:40 pm

Forget the LT com system and go with a stand alone Bluetooth system like one of these.
http://bikerinfosite.com/2010/03/car...-right-for-me/
No more cords and if you convince you buddies to invest, talking with other riders as you ride adds a new demension to enjoying your ride.
Bluetooth music from you phone/ipod lets you listen to what you want.
I have the Cardio G4 but the NEW Q4 (replaces Q3) looks interesting.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2013, 7:17 pm

SENA sells a transmitter and an adapter you can connect to the wired system.

I use the transmitter and an adapter on my Goldwing and it works fine. Two headsets can each pair to the transmitter.

Jim Andrews
Woodland, MN
2003 K1200 LTE
2014 Honda NC700X DCT
2010 Aspen Classic Pop Up Camper
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2013, 8:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK75RT
SENA sells a transmitter and an adapter you can connect to the wired system.

I use the transmitter and an adapter on my Goldwing and it works fine. Two headsets can each pair to the transmitter.
That would be either the SM10 here or the SR10 that also supports two way radios here .

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 12:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumperjon
I don't have a solution for you but can commiserate. We are using the B4 systems for intercom too and occasionally lose connection. It just happens but will soon reboot on its own or with the press of a button.

One thing I have found is that you cannot have the intercom synced and at the same time use bluetooth for iTunes due to each helmet can only have one bluetooth connection at a time. That is disappointing since I wanted both my wife and me to be able to listen to our own music and still have intercom.

iTunes via iPhone works great when riding solo.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #7 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 1:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tips727
I don't have a solution for you but can commiserate. We are using the B4 systems for intercom too and occasionally lose connection. It just happens but will soon reboot on its own or with the press of a button.

One thing I have found is that you cannot have the intercom synced and at the same time use bluetooth for iTunes due to each helmet can only have one bluetooth connection at a time. That is disappointing since I wanted both my wife and me to be able to listen to our own music and still have intercom.

Tips,
Either Sena will provide your single source tunes to both B4 headsets. Pair or hardwire the tunes to the Sena pair the headsets to the Sena..

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Tips,
Either Sena will provide your single source tunes to both B4 headsets. Pair or hardwire the tunes to the Sena pair the headsets to the Sena..
Thanks John. This renews hope. I am trying to avoid hard-wire - enough so that I am choosing not to use the OEM com system on the LT.

The only thing that concerns me about the Sena Bluetooth setup is that I have been told by the tech guy at Nolan that the B4 system will only allow for one Bluetooth connection per helmet. Until now its been either intercom or tunes. So even though the Sena would allow both helmets to be connected to the same tunes, I am not seeing a solution to the intercom without hard-wire. Am I missing something?

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #9 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 1:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks John. This renews hope. I am trying to avoid hard-wire - enough so that I am choosing not to use the OEM com system on the LT.

The only thing that concerns me about the Sena Bluetooth setup is that I have been told by the tech guy at Nolan that the B4 system will only allow for one Bluetooth connection per helmet. Until now its been either intercom or tunes. So even though the Sena would allow both helmets to be connected to the same tunes, I am not seeing a solution to the intercom without hard-wire. Am I missing something?
Tips,
I don't have the B4 but it seems a little strange that only one bluetooth connection. Perhaps he meant only one at a time? I have the Sena SMH10, you can connect lots of devices, but only one talks at a time. So if you are listening to tunes and you partner wants to talk, press the talk button, tunes cut out headset comes on. Press again headset goes off, tunes come on. In the case of the GPS, it is silent, then interrupts the music and then goes silent. HTH

Just did a quick read on the Nolan, looks like it should work just fine and can switch between sources.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Last edited by johnbaker15; Aug 3rd, 2013 at 2:01 pm.
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 5:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Tips,
I don't have the B4 but it seems a little strange that only one bluetooth connection. Perhaps he meant only one at a time? I have the Sena SMH10, you can connect lots of devices, but only one talks at a time. So if you are listening to tunes and you partner wants to talk, press the talk button, tunes cut out headset comes on. Press again headset goes off, tunes come on. In the case of the GPS, it is silent, then interrupts the music and then goes silent. HTH

Just did a quick read on the Nolan, looks like it should work just fine and can switch between sources.
The B4 does allow for multiple Bluetooth connections but only one at a time per unit.

The next time we ride 2 up I will sync the iTunes first and then try switching to intercom as needed. I am guessing that will duplicate the best I could get out of the Sena SM10. Does that sound right?

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #11 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 5:22 pm

Quote:

The ONLY way to have music AND intercom without having the 10-20 second waits to switch back to music is a Wired Audocom intercom. Bluetooth is nice, my wife and I currently use that route with Scala headsets in the helmets. But a wired intercom beats the pants off of the bluetooth stuff fast in having music, GPS, and intercom all going. She talks music drops down to the background and when we are done talking about 6 seconds later music comes back to full volume. It also dips down for the GPS announcing that you missed yet another turn..

Until these bluetooth makers get the "hokey" out of their systems Wired will be the most smooth operating available.

Now, If you are Ok with a bit of hokey operation, you can get phone+GPS into your headset via the SR10 and then share music via the SM10 but if she talks or wind noise trips the VOX you lose music for 10-20 seconds completely.. And you have two devices you have to have on the handlebars or in your pockets that you have to turn on as well as the helmets. Oh and dont forget to charge them.

I really hope that someone comes out with a motorcycle Bluetooth system that is well made and designed for the riders and not for a profit margin and price point.

But I'm going back to a wired system because Bluetooth just can not deliver music and communication at the same time in any elegant way.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 5:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The B4 does allow for multiple Bluetooth connections but only one at a time per unit.

The next time we ride 2 up I will sync the iTunes first and then try switching to intercom as needed. I am guessing that will duplicate the best I could get out of the Sena SM10. Does that sound right?
The SM10 will provide the same source audio (dual stream) to two headsets at the same time, can't do that without either the SM10/SR10 or some other makers device. The iPhone can only provide a single stream, same for GPS etc.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in