Another Brake Line Story........ - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:19 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Another Brake Line Story........

So the old LT gave up another brake line this week. This time it was the left front caliper line. Same old sh**. Pin leak developed which allows the line to bleed down slowly under pressure. Some of you may recall that line number one was the front master cylinder line which got Spiegled. Problem solved. Number two was the rear master cylinder which got O.E. replacement (why, I don't know in retrospect). Number three was the rear caliper line which actually "popped" when I installed the master line and was testing it. It got a custom built line from a local shop at less than half of O.E. price. Problem solved. So........ the same shop built me a new line for the left front caliper. "What's my point?", you may ask. Well, if you have a brake line failure, just bite the bullet and order the Spieglers. You'll likely save yourself some headaches in the long run.
As for me...... I only have one O.E. line left, so I figure one more failure and I'm done. Sure makes bleeding the brakes easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:31 pm

Re: Another Brake Line Story........

yep. after losing one line and replacing it, i lost another (this is an 02) so i just----just(?) had them replace all and now that can't go bad/won't go bad/shouldn't go bad.

Preventative Maintenance. it only makes sense.

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #3 of 19 Old Jul 8th, 2013, 11:50 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

The sad thing is I have a 1983 Honda V65 which sat outdoors for at least five to ten years. The original owner was going to throw it in a dumpster so I rescued it. The thirty year old original brake lines on it are just fine. However the Brembo lines on my LT which has been inside a garage its whole life are leaky failing pieces of junk. Brembo makes great brakes, but their brake lines are crap, it seems. Just my personal experience.

post #4 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 10:56 am

Can someone give me a link to the Spiegle (I am assuming this is a Brand?) brake lines?
post #5 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 11:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish
Can someone give me a link to the Spiegle (I am assuming this is a Brand?) brake lines?
http://www.spieglerusa.com/

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #6 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Question Re: Another Brake Line Story........

02 LT
Front master brake line failed in 2010 on way home from Killington, VT.
Replaced with OEM line.
Just recently had 96K service and had all lines replaced with OEM and complete system flush.

Back when I replaced the front master line I considered aftermarket but was advised the stainless steel lines do not "give" (expand/stretch) like the rubber OEM and this may put strain on the ABS Control Unit.

Has there been any such indication of harm to ABS Control Units by using SS lines ?

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #7 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Thanks for the link Copper!
post #8 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
02 LT
Replaced with OEM line.
Just recently had 96K service and had all lines replaced with OEM and complete system flush.

Back when I replaced the front master line I considered aftermarket but was advised the stainless steel lines do not "give" (expand/stretch) like the rubber OEM and this may put strain on the ABS Control Unit.

Has there been any such indication of harm to ABS Control Units by using SS lines ?
Good question and I will stand on the sidelines for the answer. I plan on replacing the lines on my 2000 LT soon.
post #9 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:43 pm

stainless brake lines are rubber hoses with stainless braid on the outside, you can get the same type flexible products lower pressure of course for washing machine, tap and toilet supply

the rubber is still going to degrade over time depending on quality

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #10 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougholck
02 LT
Replaced with OEM line.

I believe that BMW says SS lines will damage the ABS control unit. I think using the brakes damages BMW ABS modules. Perhaps the reason BMW says that the Spieglers will damage the ABS modules is because the stock lines are designed to fail and thereby provide a pressure relief for the unit

Sorry if I sound a little jaded, I just have zero confidence in BMW ABS systems. I wonder how many 2000 BMW cars are running around with ABS failures on them, just a guess but I bet it is really close to zero.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C

Last edited by copperstatetour; Jul 9th, 2013 at 1:30 pm. Reason: sp correction
post #11 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Quote:
I believe that BMW says SS lines will damage the ABS control unit. I think using the brakes damages BMW ABS modules. Perhaps the reason BMW says that the Spieglers will damage the ABS modules is because the stock lines are designed to fail and thereby provide a pressure relief for the unit

Sorry if I sound a little jaded, I just have zero confidence in BMW ABS systems. I wonder how many 2000 BMW cars are running around with ABS failures on them, just a guess but I bet it is really close to zero.
It could be worse;

It could be an HD unit where YOU are the test lab. Jus sayin!

[B]It STILL don't make me no nevermind![/B]
post #12 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish
It could be worse;

It could be an HD unit where YOU are the test lab. Jus sayin!
I had no idea they were still working on testing, I thought that HD had all their R & D completed back in the 20's.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #13 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 4:58 pm

Quote:
I had no idea they were still working on testing, I thought that HD had all their R & D completed back in the 20's.
They're trying to come into the 20th century. Let's not be too hard on em huh?

[B]It STILL don't make me no nevermind![/B]
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 5:48 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45
stainless brake lines are rubber hoses with stainless braid on the outside, you can get the same type flexible products lower pressure of course for washing machine, tap and toilet supply

the rubber is still going to degrade over time depending on quality
I have seen stainless oil lines with rubber but I have never seen a stainless brake line with anything other than teflon inner reinforced with the woven stainless steel outer. Spiegler uses Dupont PTFE-Teflon inner.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 6:36 pm

Honestly if BMW brake lines fail so much it is because they are poorly designed. If they can not last 10 years without any failures then they are defective. The dealer should happily replace them without cost and give you an apology.

I know, that last part probably made most of you laugh...

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #16 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 7:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just sayn' I am replacing all the lines on my 05 next year. Why you say? Because it was built in April of 04 and will be 10 years old.

My 1976 Suzuki had OEM hoses on it and in 2002 I finally replaced them but they were not leaking but did a great balloon imitation every time I grabbed the brakes. Seriously almost every manufacturer recommends replacing any rubber based hoses at the 10 year mark. Naval aviation replaced all hydraulic hoses every 5 years.

Any one that has gone past 10 years on brake hoses (Teflon excepted) is living on borrowed time. Just because you survived does not mean you always will.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 7:25 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I should point out too that the lines are clearly stamped "Brembo", so my take on it is that Brembo makes poor quality brake lines, or at least used to. On the bright side Humpty Dumpty is all back together and functioning normally, at least for now. This particular line ruptured as I was approaching an intersection on a steep downhill incline and the traffic light short-cycled for some reason. All I got was about a two second amber and then red, so the ABS was tested that day. It did the job, so that part made me happy.

post #18 of 19 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 11:27 pm

mine lasted 11 years with no failures that i know of.

listen people--the things said on this site are a collection of a few. the majority probably don't know we're here. those with issues pipe up-appropriately so!! most are the silent majority of the minority.

the is-without a doubt-the most knowledgeable and kindest bunch of fellows and fellaws i have ever seen on a forum. and that's the truuuutttthhhs!

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #19 of 19 Old Jul 14th, 2013, 2:25 am

I just recently had ALL of my front brake flexible lines fail. One failed shortly after starting a trip. I returned home. The second failed immediately after I replaced the first and the third a few days later. The 2001 LT has 38k miles on it and has been kept in a garage. My 2000 honda nighthawk is fine.

I have kept a log of all maintenance and part failures on my 2000 NightHawk and the 2001 LT. Both have nearly identical mileage, but the LT has had significantly more parts failures and tires.

My next ride will NOT be a BMW.

Current
2016 Yamaha FJR1300A (Cobalt Blue)
1973 Honda CL350 (Red)

Previous
2001 K1200LT Pacific Blue
and a long list...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in