smoke, smoke, smoke that tail pipe! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 4:32 pm Thread Starter

smoke, smoke, smoke that tail pipe!

all of a sudden i'm seeing smoke.

after standing for 1 1/2 hours while we (the local GA PGR) honored a VN Vet and POW with 2 purple hearts and a bronze star, i started the My Camel to go back to the camel house. she emitted blue, oil smelling smoke (yes, it was smoke from a camel, but not.....well, you know).

i know the story of LT's smoking a bit when left sitting on the side stand but this wasn't a 'puff' or two, this was much more smoke than i have seen before from the side stand.
when rev'ing multiple times (after letting warm up for a few seconds) she still emitted smoke. here i am, sandwiched between a number of HD's, rumbling, and my beautiful '02 LT is smoking a camel.

BTW this was only 15 minutes from the camel house through town (>45 MPH). i had been running errands prior to going to this service. all >50 MPH and most around 35 or so.

she has 29,650 Miles on her so i can't believe it's valves or pistons or engine stuff. it has to be something else. i'm due for MY first oil change whiich i'm going to attempt by myself, since i got her a year ago with 24K miles.

your collective experienced knowledge comments an thoughts are very welcome. i don't want to take her to the dealer unless you think this may be something major.

thanks all!!

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 4:56 pm
Gold Supporter

Re: smoke, smoke, smoke that tail pipe!

When you shut down, dont immediately put it on the side stand, let the oil drain into the crankcase. I'll, shut down, hold the bike upright, and take off my gloves and helmet, then set on the side stand. This has worked well for me.

USN Retired
IBA #37743
2005 K1200LT O'l Blue (Mine)
2002 R1150RT (Hers)
Cage-2006 SLK 280
Previous Rides: 2006 VTX 1300R, 1986 CB650 Nighthawk, 1982 CM450, Countless Dirt Bikes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 5:16 pm

x2...............what happens is that the oil settles in the piston skirts..........if you keep it upright just long enough to let that drain out.........no problem-o's..........if the oil is warm.....it just takes a few seconds...............if you haven't run it that long; well, sit there for a while, on the level, take off your helmet and gloves, then; get off and put it on the center stand..........it's sort of a thing we all get used too...............just saying..........

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 5:29 pm

When you stop, turn off the engine, lean it a little to the right for a little bit, then put it over on the side stand.

You want to drain oil out of the bottom of the cylinders before leaning it to the left. Any oil pooled in the bottom of the cylinder once leaned left has the possibility of slowly leaking past the rings, and will burn off on start up.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 5:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mine has smoked so badly that I couldn't see cars in my rear view mirrors. Took several minutes to go away. As everyone says, keep her off the side stand or hold her upright for a short time after engine shutdown. By the way, all horizontal engines are prone to this with the right conditions.
Ever see an old aviation radial motor start up? Wow.

post #6 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 5:50 pm Thread Starter

ok. i'm just a scaredy cat (is that how it's spelled?)

i just have not seen that happen in the year i've mounted her.i have seen a little in the garage.

i'll take your word for it. and i'll change my habits. turn off. leave vertical/slightly tip to right for 30 seconds or so, then onto the stand (note i'm not saying which stand). actually i have yet to master the center stand and have been using the side stand for a year.

i have had 2 people show me the right way and i still can't master it. oh well, there ARE SOME things i CAN do.

thanks brother LT'ers.

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 6:30 pm

it takes a little time Mike.........practice makes perfect, if you make your practice perfect.............right?.............

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 9:13 pm Thread Starter

yeah Jim. i've been married 2x. you'd think practice makes perfect

i got off immediately when i stopped her when i got home. i just fired her up and yep....smoke.....

this time i shut her down and let her sit vertical for a minute or 2. we'll see what we shall see.

but gentlemen----and i say that with GREAT respect......

why all of a sudden? this is the first time in 4k miles.

the only difference from 1 year ago to now, is that i'm letting her rev up to 4k and above before shifting. i've been doing that for a couple of weeks now. could that somehow be the cause??

she's due for an oil change. the PO has used Amsoil for the past 4 years.

maybe i should be going back to normal, real, oil? and if the answer is yes....why??

what's going on?

i've noticed my mileage has gone down over the past spring from about 41 MPG when i got her a year ago, to about 37 MPG.

any relationship? air or fuel filter? I know the brown wire has been cut. i looked behind the back seat and saw a rubber tube standing vertically. maybe i should take the box and seat out and trace the tubes from up front?

i'm going to ask for some help from Chris blueknightga who lives here locally and has offered to assist in my first oil change. he might help take her apart a bit to see if it has had a canisterectomy done.

thanks for listening

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 9:28 pm

What everybody else says.... side stand = smoke.

4k not a problem, the bmw mechanic I bought mine from said the more revs the better.

What kind of oil?... now you have gone and opened a can 'o worms !

If bmw says use 20-50 for summer type sf, sg or sh oil, that is correct, and they mean dino oil, not syn.

Bruce - pilot, Belynda - pillion
Oak Park, CA.
'99 K1200LT Champagne, 28,500mi
'04 R1150R Silver, 18,900 mi
'12 R1200RT Beige, 28,400 mi (sold 4/19)
post #10 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

yeah. i sometimes do that. i do start controversial issues for no known reason.

i think i'll just use normal oil at this change. 20/50. i just looked at the oil level in the sight glass. i'm not sure what i am looking at but it appears to be low-not visible.now.....i AM on the side stand and i understand the oil will migrate to the left side and the right side might show low. so in the AM i'll try to get her on the center stand and heat up the engine and see.

but question to y'all: what if i ADD regular oil to the synthetic that's already in the crank case? can i do that as a stop gap until i change oil, or should i get my butt down to one of the auto stores and put some mobil one or other synthetic in until the upcoming change?

is it dangerous to mix?

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 20th, 2013, 11:11 pm

Maybe you did something just different enough that your routine was changed during your recent incident, and you shut 'er down and promptly moved to the side stand. In my experience it takes just a few seconds to avoid the smoke at the next startup, not a "minute or two", but others' experience may differ. I don't even think about it any more - as soon as I pull up to the destination I shut the engine off, turn off the ignition, then lean it onto the side stand. Maybe 5 seconds...? If it's smoking after this routine I don't notice it, and no one has ever said anything to me about it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2013, 9:24 am

Most times if I put it right on the sidestand at shutoff I'll get a bit of smoke at startup, every now and then, I'll get none. There have been times I've gotten A LOT. One morning starting up to leave the Iron Horse, I thought I was fogging for mosquitoes! People came out and even the owner said "They'll do that every now and then."

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #13 of 13 Old Jun 21st, 2013, 12:25 pm Thread Starter

Angry Re: smoke, smoke, smoke that tail pipe!

thanks Chris.

well, i've been waiting for 30k to do the oils changes with Chris' help. i'm close enough i suppose.

for everyone's information and my total em bare assment, i checked the oil level and did not see anything (and yes----i DID get her up on the center stand with a lot of trepidation.)

i've purchased a quart of mobil 1 15/40 to fill the gap so to speak until i get it all changed.

Chris. will send you an email back channel.

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in