Maintenance tear down planned! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 5:32 pm Thread Starter

Maintenance tear down planned!

Have 47K on bike and am planning on doing the plugs, air & fuel filters, oil & filter, and add jack oil in rear shock adjuster. Probably clean components under seat and rear pan. Anyone have any favorite spark plug suggestion and is there anything else I might want to do while I'm in there?

2002 BMW K1200 LT.....Bought 6/15/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 5:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Maintenance tear down planned!

Heck, do the rest of the fluids...brakes,transmission,final drive.. And if you have a couple hours check the valves.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 6:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonHolly
Have 47K on bike and am planning on doing the plugs, air & fuel filters, oil & filter, and add jack oil in rear shock adjuster. Probably clean components under seat and rear pan. Anyone have any favorite spark plug suggestion and is there anything else I might want to do while I'm in there?
For sparkies, I try to find either Bosch XR7 LDC or NGK DCPR7EIX (iridium). Been happy with both.
Just in case you need torque info:
Cylinder head cover is 9Nm
Sparkplugs are 20Nm
Shield is 5Nm

post #4 of 42 Old Jun 13th, 2013, 8:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I just installed a set of Bosch XR7LDC's an hour ago, as I'm doing the same thing right now that you are planning to do. I decided to leave the valves alone, as the bike has around 22,000 miles on it, and the rear spring pre-load looks fine as is. If you don't have a torque wrench available to tighten the plugs, the manual says to finger tighten and then do a quarter turn. I was surprised at how "loose" they were before I read the manual. When you do the fuel filter, make sure you have an oil filter wrench (as shown in one of the videos) that opens up more than 4.5 inches, as mine was about a half inch too small and I have to look for one that fits the huge fuel pump cap. I'd also check the water hoses and radiator cap, since you'll have it apart and they're much easier to see from on top. If you don't have any driving/fog lights on and plan to add them in the near future, now is the time to also tackle that. Have fun!
post #5 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 7:30 am Thread Starter

I'll bet that my bike has never been touched, maintenance wise, by the previous owner. I bought the bike with 39K on it. Yes the hydraulics is a very good idea. I just bought a HF "Brake Bleeder Vac Pump" to do the clutch and brakes. I did the FD and tranny about 8K miles ago last year. I'm also thinking about doing the heat sensor mod to enhance warm weather performance. (Stays hot in Florida.) I just put a new Cee Bailey reverse contour windshield on a couple days ago and really like it over the OEM one.

post #6 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 8:25 am

Quote:
I just bought a HF "Brake Bleeder Vac Pump" to do the clutch and brakes. .
I did the same thing, but found it pretty much useless. JohnZ has a step by step instructions on here somewhere (I think in the Hall of Wisdom) that works flawlessly. I printed it out and keep it in a notebook in my garage and follow it step by step everytime I change the fluids.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #7 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 8:26 am

The DIY maintenance videos are in my signature if you need them

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

President of

post #8 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 8:54 am

I have 3 K&N oil filters (KN-163 ) painted black they have a 7/8 nut on bottom to use a socket on to in stall or take out ,will the facted that they have paint on them and would be in a wet sump remove the paint and hurt my bike ?, Can i use or buy unpainted filter? Thanks
post #9 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 1:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

@ Molan:

Don't know about black versions, but both of my KN-163s are silver. Unless they changed colors within the last several months, I would assume yours are pretty old versions if they're still in the original sealed packaging.
post #10 of 42 Old Jun 14th, 2013, 9:53 pm

If you don't have good quick disconnects, with extra O-rings Ron consider adding them to your list. Whenevr I take mine apart I loose the O-ring.

If your shocks are going to need replacement soon?

How is the oil level window?

most recent throttle cables?

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 42 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 8:39 am

I'd check the distribution hose for the crankcase ventilation. I found mine was shat when I did the teardown for filters and cables. I wasn't planning on checking valves either but after waiting for parts I decided why not. Glad I did, two intake and three exhaust out of specs with two more at minimum. 33k on 2000. It doesn't take much to check them.
post #12 of 42 Old Jun 15th, 2013, 1:31 pm

Lube the shifter balls! makes a huge difference in shifting ease.

Bruce - pilot, Belynda - pillion
Oak Park, CA.
'99 K1200LT Champagne, 28,500mi
'04 R1150R Silver, 18,900 mi
'12 R1200RT Beige, 28,400 mi (sold 4/19)
post #13 of 42 Old Aug 11th, 2013, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Some great tips guys! I was finally able to carve out a work area on my back yard patio to start my major maintenance plans. Ordered plugs and fuel filter and should be here Tuesday. So anytime after that I hope to start this project. Started looking at some of the tupperware around the guage panel and found some cracks. Guess a little epoxy on the back side of them will fix it. Bought some 3M automotive vinyl I plan on installing on the upper tupper and handle bar covers. Someone painted the upper tupper before I bought it. If the 3M doesn't work out I'll try hydro-printing or painting. I went with the Bosch XR7 LDC plugs.

Last edited by RonHolly; Aug 11th, 2013 at 6:59 pm.
post #14 of 42 Old Aug 11th, 2013, 7:32 pm

Nice!

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #15 of 42 Old Aug 11th, 2013, 10:39 pm

Strap wrench for the fuel pump nut.

ABS module funnel from Beemer Boneyard, the vac pump is next to useless.

If you don't have a good parts source, Denise at Bentonville BMW.
Probably knows more about the ride than most riders.
post #16 of 42 Old Aug 12th, 2013, 2:07 pm

In just the last couple of months there have been a flurry of "running hot" issues - me included. Maybe you can take a peek at your radiators while you can see them and get the fins cleaned out. Since doing mine (with new cap and thermostat), my temp is rock solid just below half. One less thing for me to worry about.
post #17 of 42 Old Aug 12th, 2013, 2:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
In just the last couple of months there have been a flurry of "running hot" issues - me included. Maybe you can take a peek at your radiators while you can see them and get the fins cleaned out. Since doing mine (with new cap and thermostat), my temp is rock solid just below half. One less thing for me to worry about.
Did you change the fluid while you were there?

post #18 of 42 Old Aug 12th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Quote:
Did you change the fluid while you were there?
OH YEAH! I drained the system and removed both radiators for cleaning. I soaked them both to soften up 90,000 miles worth of crusty old bugs, then sat for about 2 hours straightening out the bent fins (really good therapy) .
You could do a search on radiator guards. Couple of guys built their own and show you how to do it.
Can't see putting anything back in once drained. I think the fluid I replaced was 2 years old at most.
post #19 of 42 Old Aug 12th, 2013, 5:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
OH YEAH! I drained the system and removed both radiators for cleaning. I soaked them both to soften up 90,000 miles worth of crusty old bugs, then sat for about 2 hours straightening out the bent fins (really good therapy) .
You could do a search on radiator guards. Couple of guys built their own and show you how to do it.
Can't see putting anything back in once drained. I think the fluid I replaced was 2 years old at most.
I've had my LT for a year and I'm thinking the fluid is probably 11 year old! My plugs and fuel filter came today and I think I'll order new radiator cap and fuel filter hoses. Gonna give some real serious thought about doing the cooling system also. If the weather will give me a break I guess I could at least start. It's just so blasted hot here in Tampa right now!

post #20 of 42 Old Aug 12th, 2013, 8:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcounty
Strap wrench for the fuel pump nut.

ABS module funnel from Beemer Boneyard, the vac pump is next to useless.

If you don't have a good parts source, Denise at Bentonville BMW.
Probably knows more about the ride than most riders.
Is it necessary to remove the large nut just to replace the fuel filter?? ABS module funnel?? Think I need to do some reading on that one. Thought of something else to do. Drill a weep hole.

Starting to look like this "little" project is going to take some "big" time to complete!

Last edited by RonHolly; Aug 12th, 2013 at 9:06 pm.
post #21 of 42 Old Aug 12th, 2013, 9:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce60
Lube the shifter balls! makes a huge difference in shifting ease.
+1 on that. I couldn't believe how dry mine were when I lubed them at 32K.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #22 of 42 Old Aug 12th, 2013, 11:34 pm

Quote:
Is it necessary to remove the large nut just to replace the fuel filter?
Removing the large nut is actually quite easy. I made my own strap wrench using the slack end of a tie down strap and pliers.

Take some time to review the service videos that 14wntr mentioned. They sure were a confidence builder for me in preparation to dive in to the project. Thanks again, Kirk and friends.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #23 of 42 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 7:35 am

Must be something in the water, I'm planning on doing the same, probably around November as the garage gets used for Halloween from here up til Oct 31st.

I'll have about 50,000 miles and 12k miles on the fuel filter and airfilter...are they REALLY going to need replacing at that distance? If not, removing the fuel tank would be something I could do without. There was one specific spot I had to lift on the tank to get the bolts to align...it was a flat spot on the Starboard side, a few inched forward of the Sterm.

+1 on the shifter linkage.

I used whatever spark plugs were included in the Beemer boneyard kit. (http://www.beemerboneyard.com/k12ltrsmaintkit.html) and had to go to the metal quick disconnects after crushing the brittle plastic OEM ones.

I'll do coolant and trans fluid this time, and three of the lifter cups were at limit 12,000 miles ago...I decided to sit on them to see what they did. Motor still runs fine, but now I have a baseline to see if/how they are wearing.

------------------------
05 LT - Blue
03 VTX 1300s - fun while it lasted, sucked in the cold.
post #24 of 42 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 6:59 am Thread Starter

With all the suggestions and tips offered I guess I should start a list so nothing gets forgotten when I actually get around to doing the maintenance. Let me know if you think I forgot something on the list below!

1. Oil & filter change
2, Change plugs
3. Grease shifter balls
4. Change anti-freeze with new cap, thermostat & inspect hoses
5. Install new front wheel bearings
6. New fuel filter and hoses
7. New air filter
8. Replace hydraulic fluids in clutch, front and rear brakes
9. Drill a weep hole in bell housing
10. Clean radiators and straighten any bent fins
11. Check crankcase vent hole
12. Service rear shock load leveler with Jack Oil
13. Repair crack in dash tupperware with epoxy
13. Install 3M carbon fiber covering on top tupperware and handlebar
14. Replace fuel quick connect with metal one

Note: FD and transmission fluids changed 6k ago so they should be good to go.

Last edited by RonHolly; Aug 14th, 2013 at 11:20 am.
post #25 of 42 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 7:22 am

The shock adjuster uses jack oil not dot 4. The wheel bearings? Are they bad?
Take some time and watch my free DIY videos. They should be a great help to you.

Kirk

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #26 of 42 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 7:54 am

Quote:
Starting to look like this "little" project is going to take some "big" time to complete
I just did mine. Took 7 days. Those days were two-three hours a night just taking my time. This was the first time I've done the 24K maintenance on the bike and I took my time and documented/researched every move.
Knowing what I know now, it's a single 10 hour day including refreshment breaks and lunch.
I have a lift which makes life so much easier, and an electric nut driver, which makes Tupperware removal a snap.

I got the coolant mix wrong on mine, so went back last evening and drained/flushed/refilled with a more appropriate mixture.
All that from start to finish was about 90 minutes total.

Watch the videos, they're near priceless.
post #27 of 42 Old Aug 14th, 2013, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr
The shock adjuster uses jack oil not dot 4. The wheel bearings? Are they bad?
Take some time and watch my free DIY videos. They should be a great help to you.

Kirk
Yup, you caught me! I watched the DIY video about a month ago and forgot that it was Jack Oil. "Good Save!" Thanks

post #28 of 42 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Hope the weather cools down soon so I can start the planned tear down. Changed the oil yesterday and now my cooling seems be starting to act up. Before, normal driving was just under center scale. Now it's slightly above center scale. Probably needs fluid flush and 50/50 mix refill. Not running hot just not normal.

post #29 of 42 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 3:29 pm

A note to others doing the rear shock oil....

Dont just ADD oil, change it if you can, get a syrenge with a thin tube and suck out as much old oil as possible and then add new. Getting the old contaminated oil out is always a good idea.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #30 of 42 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 3:46 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timgray
A note to others doing the rear shock oil....

Dont just ADD oil, change it if you can, get a syrenge with a thin tube and suck out as much old oil as possible and then add new. Getting the old contaminated oil out is always a good idea.
Yup, your right! Good idea.

post #31 of 42 Old Sep 16th, 2013, 6:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I would also suggest getting a brake Bleeder Bag. I just did the front/rear/ABS brake system and the bleeder bag made it sooo much easier. This was always a PITA when I did my cage brakes, but the bag makes it a one-person, non-messy job. Have fun!
post #32 of 42 Old Sep 17th, 2013, 6:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003
I would also suggest getting a brake Bleeder Bag. I just did the front/rear/ABS brake system and the bleeder bag made it sooo much easier. This was always a PITA when I did my cage brakes, but the bag makes it a one-person, non-messy job. Have fun!
I also found adding speed bleeders to the bikes helped a lot, the Vac pumps always tend to suck in air.

Currently riding a 2003 K1200LTC
post #33 of 42 Old Sep 30th, 2013, 6:44 am Thread Starter

After reading "Printman's" posting about his bike burning up, I will definetly check the fuel line going to the fuel log. I'll also revisit my quick fuel connects and make sure everything is still ok there! Don't know what to check to prevent electrical fires.

After "Cutting the brown wire" I've been having a lot of riding fun and want to postpone the teardown but I know it really needs to to done before I regret it!

Last edited by RonHolly; Sep 30th, 2013 at 6:56 am.
post #34 of 42 Old Oct 13th, 2013, 9:32 pm Thread Starter

Started my maintenance today! Have several pics to share but not that earth shattering! I'll try and get them posted first chance I get. Started at 8:30 this morning and finished at 5:30 this afternoon. Glad those those maintenance items are behind me. Here's a list of what I have done.
1. Removed fuel tank, installed new filter and changed out all factory hose clamps
2. Installed new K&N air filter
3. Inspected fuel log for factory clamps but they had been changed already with SS ones
4. Installed steel Quick Disconnects on fuel tank lines
5. Replaced several screw that were missing from tupperware and lower engine guard
6. Serviced the rear shock adjuster with jack oil (If was empty! Rides really nice now!)

Still have to flush the cooling system and bleed brakes and clutch. My headlight lens seems to be yellowing and need to do something about that.

Hope you like my new logo addition! "If not, Oh well!"

Last edited by RonHolly; Oct 13th, 2013 at 9:44 pm.
post #35 of 42 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 12:22 pm

Great thread for me as it covers a lot of what I'll have to do over the winter and also has easy links to the vids. Also makes it look a little less daunting.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

post #36 of 42 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Put new tires on last week and bought Dynabeads for balancing. Different brand but same thing. Haven't put them in yet but maybe tomorrow. Bought a Metzeler for the front and a Bridgestone for the rear. Hope I get some milage out of the Bridgestone but general concensus is they get around 5-6K with careful use. We'll see.

post #37 of 42 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 4:48 pm

6-8k is about right for a Bridgestone front. Rears run much longer. I've gotten as much as 22,000 out of one. Current rear is getting close to 16,000. I doubt that I'll get 4000 more out of it, but I'm not changing it til I have to.

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #38 of 42 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
6-8k is about right for a Bridgestone front. Rears run much longer. I've gotten as much as 22,000 out of one. Current rear is getting close to 16,000. I doubt that I'll get 4000 more out of it, but I'm not changing it til I have to.
Is the rear a Bridgestone BT020? 16K!!! To me that is amazing!

post #39 of 42 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 6:03 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Put new tires on last week and bought Dynabeads for balancing. Different brand but same thing. Haven't put them in yet but maybe tomorrow. Bought a Metzeler for the front and a Bridgestone for the rear. Hope I get some milage out of the Bridgestone but general concensus is they get around 5-6K with careful use. We'll see.]
Where did you get your general consensus on the rear Bridgestone BT020 5-6K mileage ?. I've never read about any rear Bridgestone tire mileage anywhere near that low on this forum.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #40 of 42 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
Where did you get your general consensus on the rear Bridgestone BT020 5-6K mileage ?. I've never read about any rear Bridgestone tire mileage anywhere near that low on this forum.
Before I bought my tires, last week, I was doing a search forum wide and I found it somewhere by one of the members. Even though he said mileage was low it was a good performing tire (meaning it was cheaper than Metzeler). That's why I went with the BT020 on the rear. I'll do another search and see if I can find it again.

post #41 of 42 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman

I got about 9k out of my rear BT020 and 6K out of the front Metzler. A thousand of that was across the Ca. and Arizona desert at 113 two up with luggage.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #42 of 42 Old Jan 29th, 2014, 2:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14wntr View Post
The DIY maintenance videos are in my signature if you need them
These have been a god send. Haven't even needed to go near the manual yet.

Thanks,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in