Motorcycle Lift for LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

Motorcycle Lift for LT

Hello LT pilots. Since it's time to do a considerable amount of work on the LT (shocks, fork seals, brakes, plugs, etc) I am thinking that a lift or lift table might be a great investment. Does anyone have an opinion on which is better? Lift vs. lift table? Also, if you have one, which make and model do you have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 5:12 pm

Re: Motorcycle Lift for LT

You will need a lift table for the LT since it's design does not allow it to be lifted from underneath. The budget conscious have chosen the Harbour Freight model which seems to work well although I have no experience with it. Do a search and I'm sure you will find a ton of information on this topic.

Mugz

"If at first you don't succeed... well, so much for skydiving."

BMWMOA - #45711

2006 K1200LT - Blue Baby
2003 R1150GS - Yellowbird
1981 R100CS - Sadly gone
1991 K1100RS - Sold and burned
1986 K100RS - In the past
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Hey Mugz, We have a Harbor Freight locally. Already called them. They have 3 table lifts in stock....only $320. I'm going to go look at one today or tomorrow. Don't know why I didn't think of them to begin with. Thanks.

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 6:48 pm

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Motorcycle Lift for LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_B
Hey Mugz, We have a Harbor Freight locally. Already called them. They have 3 table lifts in stock....only $320. I'm going to go look at one today or tomorrow. Don't know why I didn't think of them to begin with. Thanks.
Jim,

Have the Harbor lift, use it with all my bikes including the LT. One thing about loading the LT on the lift, you will need to build some side boards to allow you to walk it up.

AND I would suggest getting a friend or neighbor to tie it down while you sit on it and provide stability. Just be VERY careful, but the HF lift will handle it.

OH, and check your past Rider Mags. there was a coupon in there for the lift at $299, might save a little $$.

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
post #5 of 21 Old Jun 9th, 2013, 7:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_B
Where are you located, your profile does not say.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #6 of 21 Old Jun 9th, 2013, 11:31 am Thread Starter

I picked up my new Harbor Freight motorcycle lift this morning. Hopefully it works well, I get my work done, then I intend to sell it to recover the space in the garage. I am in the Milwaukee metro area. Next step is to order my new Wilbers shocks.
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 9th, 2013, 6:20 pm

I keep mine under my bench it works great just did my 12k service on it after you use it you might change your mind and keep it good luck

Jim
post #8 of 21 Old Jun 9th, 2013, 7:58 pm

I keep my HF lift in the middle of the garage. When not in use I park my Honda Ridgeline truck over it. The also doubles as a nice large work table. It was the best $299 I've spent on a MC tool so far. When I'm working on a bike on the lift I always keep all the tools I'm using on the table as we'll. Can't tell you how much time that has saved me walking around the garage looking for tools that have rolled away on the floor.
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 12:39 pm Thread Starter

I assembled my Harbor Freight lift last night. There really wasn't much to assemble, so it went really quick. I have to say that I am really impressed with the lift. Not sure if they have always been built like this, as I have heard several people say that theirs was a little flimsy, but at least currently this thing is SOLID. Maybe I'll change my mind after loading the fat pig onto it for the first time, but as of now I'm very impressed. Storage turned out to be a piece of cake too......just left it in the middle of the floor and drove my truck over the top of it. Might not work for a small truck, but my K2500 had no issues. Looking forward to trying it out.
post #10 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 4:38 pm

Well... If you decide to get rid of it when you're done I'd be interested.
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 10th, 2013, 5:08 pm

I did not use that front wheel lock I used the one harbor freight has front wheel chock
# 69026 $39.00 I just bolt it on when I use it make a better strap mount for the front
also a scissors jack I can jack the back wheel up and raise or lower the center stand
great for changing the tranny oil

Jim
post #12 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 12:00 am

I finally took some pics of my Harbor Freight lift. I built some side boards out of plywood and 2X4's and an extension for the front stop. I needed the extension on the front so I can roll my '09 LT up to it and then activate the electro hydraulic center stand and have the front wheel line up with the wheel vise. With the side board I feel very comfortable driving my LT and my KLR 650 up on the lift. This lift works great with both scoots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1370455872603.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	38772   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF lift front extension.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	38773   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF lift side board hangers.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	38774   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF lift with side bds.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	38775   Click image for larger version

Name:	HF Lift with side boards.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	38776  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HF lift with KLR.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	38777  

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 10:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12smitty
I needed the extension on the front so I can roll my '09 LT up to it and then activate the electro hydraulic center stand and have the front wheel line up with the wheel vise. With the side board I feel very comfortable driving my LT and my KLR 650 up on the lift. This lift works great with both scoots.
Not sure why you had to extend the front stop plate, unless the hydraulic stand has a different range than the manual one, like I have on my '02. After I put mine up on the center stand the wheel clamp works just fine.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
Not sure why you had to extend the front stop plate, unless the hydraulic stand has a different range than the manual one, like I have on my '02. After I put mine up on the center stand the wheel clamp works just fine.
I don't know about the earlier models without the electro hyd stand. Maybe some of the wheel clamps are mounted further back? With mine I had to add the extension.

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"

post #15 of 21 Old Jun 11th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Quote:
I don't know about the earlier models without the electro hyd stand. Maybe some of the wheel clamps are mounted further back? With mine I had to add the extension.
Duh!!! After looking at the pics I posted I realized that there are other mounting holes for the wheel clamp. Instead of extending the front wheel stop I guess I should have just moved the wheel clamp back Oh well, those of you that purchase lifts can now learn from my mistake.

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"

post #16 of 21 Old Jun 12th, 2013, 8:30 am

I have a HF 1000# lift and put mine on the center stand all the time. I understand the scary issue since I almost ran my LT off the front of the lift the very first time I put it on and lifted it all the way up. When I went to lower it down, my lift lurched a little bit and it was enough to "bounce" the bike off the center stand and it rolled forward, with the front tire rolling off the front. It hung up on the center stand guard and did not go all the way off. But boy did it scare the S#%& out of me! What I now do is put it on the center stand then turn around the front tire chock and slide it against the tire. That way the front tire is all the way against the front when on the center and can't roll forward. I have also put 3 additional rings on each side to strap the bike down. I've now had my lift for about 18 months and it's been up and down many times, always on the center stand. I never have thought about having it on the side stand, thinking that it would not be centered and have the weight leaning too far over.

Other than that it's a great lift at a better price. I love mine and can not imagine doing my work on the garage floor.

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #17 of 21 Old Jun 12th, 2013, 8:34 am

If your wondering what to do with your full size lift when not using here is what I do. I have the Harbor Freight #1000 lift (non-air model). When not using it, I wheel it over to the far corner of my garage and stand it on end up against the wall by the garage door. It fits right into the space and only uses 2' by 12" of floor space. 2 heavy screw in eye screws into the wall and a strap hold it in place. I have stored the lift this way for almost 5 years now and there is no leaking or loss of lift. Works fine every time.

I only had a 6' ladder there and now hang the ladder right over the lift. Most of the time during the year I never use the lift and this was a great way to get it out of the way. Currently I just lift it up on end but it is heavy. Maybe a rope and pulley up above the lift will be coming in a few years. Just so happens HF also has a rope/pulley that is at a good price too. I normally have a better wheel chock on the lift but take it off to put on a trailer.

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #18 of 21 Old Jun 12th, 2013, 11:35 am

I shaved down 2x10 boards, stood them on end long enough to go UNDER the harbor freight lift. I then glued and screwed my running boards long enough for my foot to reach as I start up the ramp.
So the ramps simply slide under the lift then I drilled a center hole through the lift into the center board where I drop a 3'' inch lag bolt into to keep the boards from sliding out of the ramp when I put my feet on them

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #19 of 21 Old Jun 12th, 2013, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I finally took some pics of my Harbor Freight lift. I built some side boards out of plywood and 2X4's and an extension for the front stop. I needed the extension on the front so I can roll my '09 LT up to it and then activate the electro hydraulic center stand and have the front wheel line up with the wheel vise. With the side board I feel very comfortable driving my LT and my KLR 650 up on the lift. This lift works great with both scoots.

Steve, I noticed that in the pics of your lift, there was a red object lying next to the long, black safety bar near the front tire clamp. What is that? My lift did not include that?

Jim
post #20 of 21 Old Jun 12th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Jim, That red object is part of a jack handle that goes with a small bottle jack. This is not a part of the HF lift. I use this bottle jack sometimes to place under the engine to raise the front of the bike when it is on the center stand. This allows me to remove the front wheel. You can accomplish the same thing by pulling down on the back of the motorcycle with a motorcycle tie down strap.
If you look close you will see I took a piece of aluminum strap and fabricated some hooks that hold the side boards to the lift. This keeps them from sliding away from the lift when my feet are on them.

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"

post #21 of 21 Old Jun 12th, 2013, 8:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Steve. For a second there I thought I missed out on something or threw something away that I shouldn't have. Good to know I didn't.

Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in