Trailing arm - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 1:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Trailing arm

Hi All, it looks like I bent the trailing arm on my front suspension. The last few weeks we were in Florida this last winter the front of our '02 K1200LT/Hannigan lost some ride height. It looked like it was setting about 1 inch or so lower that it use to. So after we got home to Michigan for the summer, I took the sidecar off & put the bike on my lift backwards with the rear wheel in the clamp. I check the trailing arm with a strait edge & compared it with my friends LT. It looks like there is around a 3+MM deference at were the back of the boss the ball joint rides on between the two. I am thinking this might make the angle of how the ball joint sets together & lower it a few more MM. Then, because the front wheel on my bike is moved forward with the steer light set up. Maybe by the time you extend that out to the front axle it might be close to the drop I had it the front end…or not…

Anyway, I need to find a good strait trailing arm to replace my OEM one. There are a few on E-bay, but the bikes there were on looked like they were on the ground hard.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old Jun 8th, 2013, 1:21 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Trailing arm

The ones I saw when I was looking at the bikes they came off of looked wrecked pretty bad. Without having a good arm It's hard to compare them. I bent mine bad enough that the tire was up against the lower engine cover.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in