Fuel Filter Replacement and the Rotten Hoses. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 31st, 2013, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Filter Replacement and the Rotten Hoses.

The past week I've been going through the new to me 05 LT doing all the maintenance. I've replaced every fluid, but the fork fluid, and changed every filter. I was very pleased that the valves after 11,000 miles were all in correct spec. I found no stripped out holes, or broken fairing tabs and everything went smoothly for the most part. But when I went to replace the fuel filter I discovered that the short piece of hose connecting the filter to the pump had begun to deteriorate to the point that I didn't want to just fit the new filter and hope for the best. The elbow shaped hose also had some cracking but not as bad as the short hose. Now had I know that the hoses would have been in bad shape, I would have pre-ordered a new ones from BMW before I opened up the tank. So not wanting to keep the LT dissembled in the garage any longer than absolutely necessary, I decided to try and find a section of actual submersible fuel hose somewhere in the Phoenix area, but no luck with that. So I ordered a piece of Gates 27093 5/16th inch submersible hose off Ebay from a guy in TX. But when the hose finally arrived a few days later I found that the hose he sent is blue with no writing on it and it's 3/8 inch. I don't think it is even made by Gates . Well that was a bummer, because I thought that I would just have to keep the bike disassembled for another week or so while I ordered the new hose from BMW. Then I remembered that I had a complete fuel pump assembly in the shed that fits my Moto Guzzi Norge.

On this assembly there is a corrugated hard plastic hose that connects the filter to the base plate and a shorter plastic hose that connects the filter to the pump. So I go get the assembly and sure enough the hoses are the right size. Now the nice thing about these non-rubber hoses is they will not deteriorate like the OEM rubber ones and because the long hose is corrugated it does not kink when bent. The hoses also have the strange trait that even though they are hard, they still stretches a bit to go over the expanded sections of the nipples on the pump and filter and then contract to fit snugly over the non-expanded section of the fittings. The hoses are secured with OEM style Oetiker clamps that are 11.3 mm in size. I get them from this company http://www.ebay.com/itm/150605685330...84.m1497.l2649 . This is the hose that BMW should have used when they started putting the fuel pump assembly inside the tank.

The long piece of hose you see in the picture has a 3 inch section right in the middle that is not corrugated, which allows the hose to be cut into two useable sections to be fitted into two separate fuel pump assemblies. The short piece of hose in the picture that connects the fuel filter to the pump just so happens to be about the same length as the small rubber hose on the BMW assembly.

Guzzi didn't get it 100% correct as well. You'll notice the half plastic fuel filter in the picture. The plastic part swells and becomes rubbery, and can separate from the metal part of the filter, which when it happens will leave you stranded on the side of the road. One of the things that a new Guzzi owner does is change out the OEM fuel filter to an all metal one ASAP.

Now I have no idea what Guzzi wants for these hoses but it couldn't be much more than the prices BMW charges for the rubber ones. And if you have a friend you could both split the cost since the long hose will make two correct size hoses for the BMW pump assemblies.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to take a picture of my BMW pump assembly with the Guzzi hoses before I installed it back in the tank.

Last edited by azccj; May 31st, 2013 at 6:30 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 31st, 2013, 6:50 pm

Re: Fuel Filter Replacement and the Rotten Hoses.

you can get the straight submersible hose from O'Reily's for about $20. Cut it to make it fit and go longer on the piece that has to bend so that the curve can be a little larger.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 11:12 am Thread Starter

I actually did call O'reilys and was told the hose wasn't available. The guy on EBay gave me a full refund and now I have hoses in the tank that should never deteriorate. So it all worked out and didn't cost me anything to fix. Today I should get the bike back together and then I can start putting miles on it.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 12:43 am

"This is the hose that BMW should have used when they started putting the fuel pump assembly inside the tank."

They did from 1985 to 1995. I'm not sure why they started using the formed nitrile jacketed rubber hose after that, probably since it was less expensive, yet still met the specifications needed for submersible hose.

Many manufacturers still use the flexible corrugated type, notably Harley, Moto Guzzi, Ford and many others.

I did this mod:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...highlight=coil

and it has worked great.

But, the next time I need to do this I'll just order this kit for $15.00 and custom cut it for the LT:

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/BMW...fp-hosekit.htm

Quicker, cheaper, simple and should last for a looooongg time. It also looks like there is enough hose to do TWO changes, and the quality of the FI clamps are WAY better than standard FI clamps you find at auto parts stores.

It meets the
SAE 30R10 specs for submersible fuel hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flexible fuel hose kit.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	38681  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 2nd, 2013 at 1:08 am.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 12:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbaltz
you can get the straight submersible hose from O'Reily's for about $20. Cut it to make it fit and go longer on the piece that has to bend so that the curve can be a little larger.
Nope, it will kink. Maybe not immediately but give it some time, and when it does you will come to a very abrupt stop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 1:05 am

"Now I have no idea what Guzzi wants for these hoses"

$21.99 for the long one:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idProduct=3141

and $21.16 for the short one but they will throw in 4 clamps:

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scrip...idProduct=6565

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 5:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
"This is the hose that BMW should have used when they started putting the fuel pump assembly inside the tank."

They did from 1985 to 1995. I'm not sure why they started using the formed nitrile jacketed rubber hose after that, probably since it was less expensive, yet still met the specifications needed for submersible hose.

Many manufacturers still use the flexible corrugated type, notably Harley, Moto Guzzi, Ford and many others.

I did this mod:

and it has worked great.

But, the next time I need to do this I'll just order this kit for $15.00 and custom cut it for the LT:

Quicker, cheaper, simple and should last for a looooongg time. It also looks like there is enough hose to do TWO changes, and the quality of the FI clamps are WAY better than standard FI clamps you find at auto parts stores.

It meets the

Ron I see you took my information on that BMW thread on the hose from Euromoto;Wow I feel had something up on you

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Gary

2003 K1200LT
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 11:21 am

[QUOTE=GaryEm]Ron I see you took my information on that BMW thread on the hose from Euromoto;Wow I feel had something up on you

Gary
2003 K1200LT

You indeed do - and I didn't mean to steal your thunder. You must be an Airhead too. I just wish you found that last fall!

I spent quite a while stumbling around looking for corrugated hose before I came up with my solution - I could NOT find any - and then I stumbled back on to my thread and found out you indeed have the ULTIMATE solution:

1. Inexpensive: $7.50 PER REPAIR beats me by $22.50 and BMW by about - oh $40.00 or so. (it looks like there is enough hose to do 2 repairs)

2. Easy to install: Just trim one end long, and one end short, save the leftover piece to connect the pump and filter. (I'll bet you could gently heat the short section with a hair dryer or heat gun on low once installed to get the slight bend)

3. Durable - it meets the standard for submersible hose - 'nuff said.

4. ..and a LOT less hassle then hunting up a 1 foot section of submersible hose and the uni-coil. They're BOTH not easy to find. Nothing like having it show up on your doorstep instead of running around town looking for parts.

I guess the only question is does it work? I'm tempted to pull my tank off again - umm, maybe not. - to see if it does.

My bet is that it will work great.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 5th, 2013, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

I did this mod:

and it has worked great.

It meets the
Thanks for that link. I just ordered 2 sets of hoses. The next time I have my R1150RT's fuel tank off, I plan on changing out the crappy rubber hoses.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 5th, 2013, 5:27 pm

Looking to get the kit to change my pump hose. Any issue using the submersible hose from the tank to the disconnects? I noticed what looks like a mouse sampled a chunk of hose from the tank to the disconnect. Thought the extra hose should work. Am I right?
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 11:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by I4neye
Looking to get the kit to change my pump hose. Any issue using the submersible hose from the tank to the disconnects? I noticed what looks like a mouse sampled a chunk of hose from the tank to the disconnect. Thought the extra hose should work. Am I right?
You are very limited with corrugated hose as to how much you can trim to fit. You can only trim the straight ends. Regular FI hose (inexpensive) would be preferred.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Quote:
You are very limited with corrugated hose as to how much you can trim to fit. You can only trim the straight ends. Regular FI hose (inexpensive) would be preferred.
The damaged line has a sharp bend in it. Not sure standard line wouldn't kink.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in