Coolant question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 24th, 2013, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Coolant question

It's coming up to the point where the bike gets field stripped for summer ( too hot to ride time ) maintenance, which includes coolant change.
My question is, has anyone ever used WaterWetter in conjunction with their bmw coolant?
The stuff really works well in cars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old May 24th, 2013, 9:18 am

Re: Coolant question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcounty
It's coming up to the point where the bike gets field stripped for summer ( too hot to ride time ) maintenance, which includes coolant change.
My question is, has anyone ever used WaterWetter in conjunction with their bmw coolant?
I've used it in my K1100LT. Bike seems to run cooler but that may be psychosomatic. I also used to use it in my dirt track car with good results (no antifreeze allowed).

Your mileage may vary, Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old May 24th, 2013, 9:52 am

I've got it in mine right now, didn't notice that the engine temp gauge is showing anything different, but I can confirm it works in the car, so why not?

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.

post #4 of 12 Old May 24th, 2013, 4:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Water wetter will do absolutely nothing for a vehicle that has a perfectly good functioning cooling system. Cooling systems are designed to maintain an engine at a specific temperature over a wide range of conditions.

Now if what you are riding/driving has trouble doing that then go for it - it will help with heat transfer.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 9:17 am Thread Starter

Just got the bike re-assembled after doing some really major maintenance and hard parts replacement. All the 24k maintenance plus interior and exterior fuel and coolant hoses, new clamps, all new body panel fasteners, isolating nuts, clip nuts...well, everything..
When replacing the coolant I used 50% BMW coolant, and the rest as 3 ounces water wetter and water to top things off.
Test ride was flawless, and the seat of the pants observation of the coolant temp seems to indicate a much more dynamic response to any type air flow through the radiators.
I will continue to watch and plan on a hot weather ride today to see how the new mixture reacts, but I think there might be some advantage to this stuff.
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 1:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
It does?

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...etter®-review/

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 3:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Under normal conditions your water pump puts out a constant flow. The pressure and potential volume of this flow varies with the engine RPMs. Where this flow exits the engine is the thermostat. It is a temperature sensitive spring loaded valve which varies the flow rate dependent upon temperature. As John noted, under normal conditions the water wetter will have no discernible effect on your cooling system. While we're on the subject, as I recall, the difference between 1/2 gauge and redline on the LT is 15 degrees. So unless you get into the red area (not just close) it's normal depending on the conditions. In other words your fans do not normally run. They are the last line of defense, creating an artificial airflow through the radiators in stop and go traffic. Does it work? Maybe. Should you be able to "see" the difference on your temperature gauge? Nope. Not if things are clean and working properly.

post #8 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 3:42 pm Thread Starter

I do not know to a certainty that it will provide any additional cooling in the bike.
I use it in my car, a gran marguis with the police package, and have seen in summer months a cooling difference of one needle width on the gauge in very hot weather.
Now, whether that needle width is 50 degrees or 0.5 degrees I don't know, I just know the gauge shows a cooler engine. Also used it in a 3 litre Taurus, notorious for heating issues in summer stop/go traffic, to good result.
I also do not know whether surface area of the radiator -v-amount of agent applied is linear or exponential. I had the thing apart and put new coolant in it and figured what the heck I'll give it a try.
I have been monitoring the after ride radiator temps with a thermal gun just for some type of base line in the "after" side of the equation to have comparative numbers for the next coolant change, which will be sans wetting agent, just BMW coolant and water.
SO in a years time I might have something to discuss.
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 4:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I do not know to a certainty that it will provide any additional cooling in the bike.
I use it in my car, a gran marguis with the police package, and have seen in summer months a cooling difference of one needle width on the gauge in very hot weather.
Now, whether that needle width is 50 degrees or 0.5 degrees I don't know, I just know the gauge shows a cooler engine. Also used it in a 3 litre Taurus, notorious for heating issues in summer stop/go traffic, to good result.
I also do not know whether surface area of the radiator -v-amount of agent applied is linear or exponential. I had the thing apart and put new coolant in it and figured what the heck I'll give it a try.
I have been monitoring the after ride radiator temps with a thermal gun just for some type of base line in the "after" side of the equation to have comparative numbers for the next coolant change, which will be sans wetting agent, just BMW coolant and water.
SO in a years time I might have something to discuss.
Here is another "test", but not clear it was all that scientific. The difference is pretty minimal, other than during cruise. And if those figures are correct, 147 degrees is actually too cool for efficient engine operation.

I am pretty sure the advantage isn't due to any magic in water wetter, but due to using nearly 100% water as coolant. I'd love to see a test including 100% water for reference.

If it really provides adequate corrosion protection so that water can be used as a sole coolant, then I can see the advantage. However, that doesn't help in cold weather. And the advantage of water wetter added to a normal coolant mix is probably in the measurement noise...

http://www.importtuner.com/reviews/i...s/viewall.html

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 28th, 2013, 5:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This is interesting. The MSDS for the primary chemical in WaterWetter:

http://www.chemistrystore.com/polyox...onylphenol.pdf

Chemical used in everything from pesticides to soap.

It's only at about 20 percent in the WaterWetter so the flammability is negated. Interestingly, it's used as an additive in fire trucks to make their water more effective. Makes it penetrate and cling to the surfaces at a dilution rate of 1 to 1000. Weird.

post #11 of 12 Old May 30th, 2014, 7:27 am

Garage

Just changed my 2000 lt coolant
Put evans waterless coolant in and it seems fine.
Does not seem to have air in it, temp goes up, fans both go on.
Temp goes down to middle.
Ran it idle then around the block for an hour plus.
Been running it in my 318 for 1.5 years
My k75 took it well

Any way to know if I have air in system before I put the fairings back on?
post #12 of 12 Old May 30th, 2014, 6:52 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkinskg View Post

Any way to know if I have air in system before I put the fairings back on?
It will be let out (if there is any) if you loosen the clamp on the upper cross over hose and slide a screw driver in to open the hose up. Other wise it hides nowhere else.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in