when is an oil 'Q' not a 'Q' - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 1:16 am Thread Starter

Garage
when is an oil 'Q' not a 'Q'

How should I best effect an oil change on 7k mile trip??
Right now I'm 2700 before due which will probably put me into AZ. Family in San Diego and WA state and return home. So the question is halfway no matter what or CA and then again back home. Would the extra 1000 or so miles over 3 hurt?
Mid -June is quickly approaching.
ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 4:30 am

Re: when is an oil 'Q' not a 'Q'

Won't even be an issue worth worrying about mate, long runs like that are great, change the oil when you get home, she'll be fine. 10,000 miles @ 50mph average speed = 200 operating hours,..... nothing really.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #3 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 8:15 am
cws

Garage

Gotta agree with Dennis. I put on 17,000km in a 7 week trip, changed 2 rear tyres in that time but all fluids weren't touched again (apart from a little oil top-up) till well after the trip was done. Not a problem with the motor, purred all the way.
Enjoy your ride Bill!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:30 am

You can easily do 6000 miles on a oil change, no worries.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #5 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 10:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
You can easily do 6000 miles on a oil change, no worries.
Isn't 6,000 miles the recommend oil change interval anyway?

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #6 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

I take it you do 3000 mile changes? I think recommended is 6000. I do mine at 5000. Long trip, no problem. It's the city driving that really gets them dirty. Just keep it full. Or take a filter with you and change it out at some auto parts store. All it'll cost you is an oil pan and they may even have one to loan you.

post #7 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 11:51 am

Or if you want the comfort level of your desired oil change interval, I'm sure there are several members of the forum along the way that would be happy to host you for an oil change etc for a couple hours.

Depending on when you breeze through Phoenix (meaning if I am in town), you are more than welcome to come and drain your oil at my place, the facilities aren't superb but I manage - it's an option.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
)
2000 BMW R1200C
post #8 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 5:38 pm
Enjoy The Ride

With todays oil I wouldn't worry one bit about riding 7000 miles before a oil change unless it is still under warranty. Long highway miles are a lot different than short rides around town because the oil gets hot enough to evaporate the moisture & some of the other contaminates.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour
Or if you want the comfort level of your desired oil change interval, I'm sure there are several members of the forum along the way that would be happy to host you for an oil change etc for a couple hours.

Depending on when you breeze through Phoenix (meaning if I am in town), you are more than welcome to come and drain your oil at my place, the facilities aren't superb but I manage - it's an option.
Thanks on the offer.
I am overwhelmed everytime by the generosity shown by members on this forum. I mean not an agreed tech session but just inviting a total stranger into your bike workshop. Now that's CLASS. Thanks again mid-June but won't quite make it to Phoenix.
ride safe
post #10 of 10 Old May 22nd, 2013, 8:44 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
With todays oil I wouldn't worry one bit about riding 7000 miles before a oil change unless it is still under warranty. Long highway miles are a lot different than short rides around town because the oil gets hot enough to evaporate the moisture & some of the other contaminates.
No I'm on my own.
Warranty expired last month(tax day). But during those years I got accustomed to consistently do it every 3000 miles. After my 600 mile break-in I stuck pretty close. I even interrupted my route 66 trip to CA for one of the service maintenance intervals at my dealer. The good side was a detour into TX with a mere 200 miles over.
So the general consensus here is it's OK enjoy the trip leave my worries behind. Watch it and a good change back home. Thanks all.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in