Still working to find a fluid leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 18th, 2013, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Still working to find a fluid leak

I've replaced all the brake lines-no leaks anywhere at calipers, or junction box.
Replaced fork seals, fluid.

Rode today about 100 miles, came home and put it on the side stand in the garage. After 15 minutes checked, and there were several drips that appeared. I reached up and found some clear fluid on the back of the left fork-not the red that I filled the forks with. There wasn't that much, but something still isn't right. Doesn't seem to be any way that brake fluid could find its way there? Could it be clutch fluid? I'm stumped. I've been enjoying the project of brakes, forks, etc., but time now to do more riding.

Any help or ideas? Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 19th, 2013, 9:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Still working to find a fluid leak

Clutch fluid on the LT is Dot 4 brake fluid. It has a distinct feel on your fingers. That about the only other source for clear fluid on that side.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old May 19th, 2013, 10:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've replaced two of those top brake lines on the front fork. Take a flashlight and look up under the nose, visually tracing the line back to where it connects to the hard line. Have someone squeeze the front brake hard and I think you'll see your leak, either from that line or the end of the master cylinder line. However it could be one of the short lines attached to the calipers as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old May 19th, 2013, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dean and John for replies. I've been 'living' up there with my flashlight and someone working the brake or clutch levers, and there is no apparent leak at either brake line. I wonder if there could be some fluid leaking from the fork seal? It does seem to be clear and not the BMW red/purple color though. I'm stumped. I also am hopeful that the 'residual' left from when the brake line did fail is some of the reason for leaking?

Thanks for weighing in.

dave
post #5 of 9 Old May 20th, 2013, 12:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

When my fork seals went south the fluid did not appear red in color. Mine leaked badly, to the point of partially covering the left side of the lowers. All I can tell you is that leaks run downhill unless the wind is blowing hard and then they go where the breeze goes, so above and/or forward of the wet spot is usually the culprit location. Also, if it is your fork seals, moisture contamination will change the color of the oil and then it varies depending on synthetic or regular. For example, water turns regular gear lube a cream color and synthetic gear lube turns black. As I recall mine had turned almost black when I dumped it out, but only in the bottom of the tube where the water had settled. The top part still looked ok.

post #6 of 9 Old May 20th, 2013, 7:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks Dean, I did the fork seals last Wednesday. When the right failed, the leak had some red in it as it traveled down the fork. I replaced both sides and filled the forks with the red fluid. Now, at least it appears, the left fork is where the fluid is coming from, although this morning it was dry after 200 miles riding yesterday. I'll keep watching it.

I don't see any moisture around the steering damper, although it too may need attention after 104 K miles?

Appreciate the help

Dave
post #7 of 9 Old May 20th, 2013, 9:25 am

just curious if you replaced the bushing in the top of the slider below the seal, it wears into an oval shape as does the seal, I did not do them in my K1100 forks first time and seals did not last long until needed to be done again, a few hundred miles

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #8 of 9 Old May 20th, 2013, 11:00 am Thread Starter

I did not replace it-that is the copper part correct?
post #9 of 9 Old May 20th, 2013, 11:56 am

it is copper by the looks of it, dark coating on inside, about 1 inch high, called bush on realoem - it is a cheap part from the dealer even in Canada
the plastic tubes take the place of the bushing they had at the bottom of the stanchion on K1100 forks I presume

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in