Passenger arm rests - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hilton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 10:25 am Thread Starter

Passenger arm rests

Been thinking about a set of passenger arm rests for the LT. Any feedback would be greatly appriciated, and anyone have a used set in good condition for sale, nothing in the classifieds.Thanks

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CMTO 8 yrs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 11:52 am

Re: Passenger arm rests

Don Muddiman's armrest are awesome. They are real quality armrests which go on easily and replaces old hinges with strong, quality replacements. They are not cheap but they are worth every penny. They fold up; not swing out. I believe they are much better than the ones that swing out. Even after three years with lots of use from my bride and they still look brand new. Just google K1200LT armrests and you will find the set from Don Muddiman plus pictures. Directions are done very well.
post #3 of 30 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:11 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

THE BEST FOR THE MONEY

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 30 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 10:08 pm

What do the passengers think of the arm rests?

Before I bought the LT, my GF said she wanted a bike she could fall asleep on the back of and not fall off...and arm rests. I found Wolfie, put her on him, talked to the dealer about adding arm rests (he was pushing the Z-Technik), he said no problem. Bought the bike, decided to drive it a bit before sinking lots of money into it.

She likes the bike as-is... I'm willing to buy 'em if she'd like 'em, but she's shown not the slightest interest since (as in... "do you want me to add arm rests?" "No").

So... Those that have added arm rests... What do your passengers say it helps/improves/etc?
post #5 of 30 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 4:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHolland
What do the passengers think of the arm rests?
Before I bought the LT, my GF said she wanted a bike she could fall asleep on the back of and not fall off...and arm rests. I found Wolfie, put her on him, talked to the dealer about adding arm rests (he was pushing the Z-Technik), he said no problem. Bought the bike, decided to drive it a bit before sinking lots of money into it.
She likes the bike as-is... I'm willing to buy 'em if she'd like 'em, but she's shown not the slightest interest since (as in... "do you want me to add arm rests?" "No").
So... Those that have added arm rests... What do your passengers say it helps/improves/etc?
I added the Z-technik pair, which I managed to find reasonably priced, second hand. I asked my wife the same questions, yet she didn't sound like she cared one way or another. She has been able to fall asleep w/ them, so I can only figure she's comfortable enough w/ them, otherwise I doubt she'd attempt to nod off w/o them/something to keep her "enclosed". I offered to take them off for our next trip, but she said not to, so I finally got a concrete answer.
The only real drawback of the Z-techniks is one has to lift them up out of the way every time one wants to raise the trunk lid. The Muddimans (sp?) don't have this problem.
One thing I wonder about the Muddimans is how much sound they block from the rear speakers when they're in the upright position, which I think they do automatically, though I imagine the sound loss is negligible.

I'm not home to mess w/ it, but I intend to mount some kind of cup holder to the underside of one of the armrests- somehow. Ideally, it will have some kind of swivel in it, in order to stay upright each time the armrest is lifted. Installing a cupholder looks to be fairly easy w/ the Muddimans. What I did on the last trip was to hang a Camelbak from the "elbow" or joint of one of the armrests, which keep it close and the drink tube easier to reach.

If you search enough, you'll see an aftermarket backrest w/ some molded armrests, which look more like winglets. I have no experience w/ these, but they look stupid and not very functional, but YMMV.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Mar 23rd, 2013 at 4:42 am.
post #6 of 30 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 6:27 am

I had Armrest on my LT & my wife & granddaughters all loved them. My wife could fall asleep at the drop of a hat & felt more secure with them. When we got the K1600GTL BMW said arm rest would be available but after a year of waiting I built my own using armrest from a older Goldwing. Now my 8 year old grandson is riding with me as will as my granddaughters & wife. They all love the armrest.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 30 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 7:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
...When we got the K1600GTL BMW said arm rest would be available but after a year of waiting I built my own using armrest from a older Goldwing. Now my 8 year old grandson is riding with me as will as my granddaughters & wife. They all love the armrest....
Those look really neat Steve. I've wondered about how successful someone would be doing the same thing on an LT. You grandson looks like he's thoroughly enjoying hangn' w/ Grandpa.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #8 of 30 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 9:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebear695
Been thinking about a set of passenger arm rests for the LT. Any feedback would be greatly appriciated, and anyone have a used set in good condition for sale, nothing in the classifieds.Thanks
I have a set of Muddiman's in my garage that I took off my LT before i traded it. I only used them on one trip. My wife loved them, gave her a feeling of security since she often fell asleep. I have been trying to figure a way to mount them on my top box on the RT, but so far haven't quite determined if it is feasible. My wife doesn't like going on the RT so much as she doesn't feel "tied in". I have considered selling them but need to make sure I won't regret it if i could modify the mounts to make them work. Also, I live on the east coast of Canada, so not sure what shipping might cost, although i have mailed parts to a company in California that i deal with without too much problem.

post #9 of 30 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:30 am Thread Starter

You guys are the bomb, just the info that I was looking for, thanks

Skydiver, if you think of selling, PM me, we can talk

Eddee P
Bronze God on a Steel Stallion

2001 K1200LT, Champagne with all the STUFF, and R1100RT ft fender, cool
2008 R1200 RTP (retired)
2002 R1150 RTP (retired)
2007 Honda Silverwing
2007 Suzuki Burgman AN650ex
2001 Ducati ST4
1997 KZ1100 (totaled) Motors are cool,

CMTO 8 yrs

We sleep peacefully in our beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to visit violence on our behalf....George Orwell
post #10 of 30 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 11:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebear695
You guys are the bomb, just the info that I was looking for, thanks

Skydiver, if you think of selling, PM me, we can talk

I will do that. I should try and make that decision right away so both you and i could benefit from it. I don't think it is possible to mount them well on the RT box, but i haven't given up hope, just need the incentive to look again. You have given me the incentive necessary to determine what to do with them.They aren't doing anyone any good inside my trailer. That is another thing i should look at selling, used it once on the same trip and after i got the RT my wife wasn't so enthusiastic about going so never hauled the trailer again, although i have hopes to do so. I will certainly contact you soon one way or the other.

post #11 of 30 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 3:40 pm

Someone asked about the sound from the speakers if the Muddiman speakers are up and the answer is VERY, VERY LITTLE. We also have the fm app. on the cell phone. I just put SENA smh5's in our helmets so we have everything paired. For music, I play my iPod which is paired.I really like the idea of no wires connecting to the bike. After having seen both the Ztech armrests, and the BMW ones that swing out, the Muddiman's are still the better choice. Just my two cents. The wife doesn't use them all the time but if she wants to sleep, read a book or just change hand position, she uses them.
post #12 of 30 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 10:03 pm

After a couple of years of trying to talk my wife into testing the Muddimans, she did so last fall on a friend's bike. She was totally impressed and now we will have some installed before the 2013 riding season.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #13 of 30 Old Mar 24th, 2013, 8:39 am

Question Re: Passenger arm rests

Don's are the best. My wife loves them. Easy to install. Look good down and almost out of site when up.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #14 of 30 Old Mar 24th, 2013, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydiver
I have a set of Muddiman's in my garage that I took off my LT before i traded it. I only used them on one trip. My wife loved them, gave her a feeling of security since she often fell asleep. I have been trying to figure a way to mount them on my top box on the RT, but so far haven't quite determined if it is feasible. My wife doesn't like going on the RT so much as she doesn't feel "tied in". I have considered selling them but need to make sure I won't regret it if i could modify the mounts to make them work. Also, I live on the east coast of Canada, so not sure what shipping might cost, although i have mailed parts to a company in California that i deal with without too much problem.
skydiver if ebear695 doesn't want your muddiman's let me know i am interested.
post #15 of 30 Old Mar 24th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Me dear wifee loves the Muddimen's. Makes her feel secure. Little does she know.

2013 BMW K1600GLT (I love this bike!)...
2005 BMW K1200LT, a/k/a "Fat Bottomed Girl" (traded for 2013 K1600GLT)...
1998 Honda VFR800, the finest sport/tourer ever created...
1978 Yamaha DT400E, because I just can't leave the sound of a two-stroke behind...
post #16 of 30 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 12:14 pm

ebear695,
If you're interested in the Z-technics, I have a set for sale in the classified section. They are in excellent shape.
post #17 of 30 Old Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
...When we got the K1600GTL BMW said arm rest would be available but after a year of waiting I built my own using armrest from a older Goldwing...
I have been looking at Goldwing armrests wondering if they could be adapted to the LT, so far I think the answer is probably but I am too cheap to pull the trigger, anyone rigged them up to the LT? I like the idea of adding a little chrome to the big gal, plus they are relatively cheap and widely available used.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #18 of 30 Old Jun 12th, 2013, 1:48 pm

If anyone has the Ztechnik armrests, I have a set of replacement pads for sale in the classified section at a very good price compared to the $78 EACH Ztechnik charges. We no longer have our BMW, but as a passenger, I really enjoyed these armrests.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ztechnik armrest pads.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	38800  
post #19 of 30 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 9:12 am

My wife finally got to try a pair of ZTechnik's Folding Passenger Armrests for the K1200LT at the MOA rally last weekend. The ones she tried out were like these ones ZTechnik | Z9501A Folding Passenger Arm Rests for BMW K1200LT . She liked them. So my question is, has anybody ever dropped the bike with a passenger using any style of passenger armrests? Was anybody hurt from the armrests and did anything get damaged? Also please include which model of armrests you were using.

John

2006 BMW K1200 LT
2011 Polaris 850XP Touring
Butler, Pa
post #20 of 30 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 10:27 am

I found a set of used ztechnik armrests for a great price. My wife loves them. There is also muddleman armrests which are great ,but hard to find.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #21 of 30 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhetzel View Post
My wife finally got to try a pair of ZTechnik's Folding Passenger Armrests for the K1200LT at the MOA rally last weekend. The ones she tried out were like these ones ZTechnik | Z9501A Folding Passenger Arm Rests for BMW K1200LT . She liked them. So my question is, has anybody ever dropped the bike with a passenger using any style of passenger armrests? Was anybody hurt from the armrests and did anything get damaged? Also please include which model of armrests you were using.
I dropped the LT at parking lot speed with my wife on back. She was using the Flip down (Eagle) type armrest. She was able to get away from the bike before it hit the ground with little trouble. At speed I can't say if the out come would have been any different. It is the trade off you make for her comfort.

Stevie Shreeve
post #22 of 30 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 6:15 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
zTechnik Arm Rests

Had these on for many years, and dropped too many times.
(Not counting getting caught out in a freak snow storm, down
3 times)
My wife has never had any issues just stepping off prior to the crunch.
These pivot on a slight angle which allows the passenger to step clear without hinderance.

HTH
johnbaker15 likes this.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #23 of 30 Old Jul 19th, 2016, 8:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: zTechnik Arm Rests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
Had these on for many years, and dropped too many times.
(Not counting getting caught out in a freak snow storm, down
3 times)
My wife has never had any issues just stepping off prior to the crunch.
These pivot on a slight angle which allows the passenger to step clear without hinderance.

HTH
I'll let my wife know that there was a real world test done and it passed multiple times.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #24 of 30 Old Jul 20th, 2016, 5:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There may be a down side to the arm rests. If they're of the type that are combined with the top box hinge, that's a very weak part of the top box. As the plastic ages, it gets brittle and cracks. The arm rests put an upward pressure on the bracket on the bottom of the top box and pulls away from the plastic. Here's what I did to fix the broken out hinge. Just a large amount of epoxy with screws drilled down through the bracket and into the epoxy. An auto body friend did the work (the weird looking color at the top was from the masking tape that held the black epoxy from flowing out). So far, so good...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1279.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	112922  

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #25 of 30 Old Dec 21st, 2016, 6:19 am

Garage

Hi everyone from the North of Ireland. I want to firstly say thanks for accepting me.

I have been trying to obtain a pair of Ztechnik armrests for my K1200LT without success. Tried all dealers I know in Europe and in America but it seems Ztechnik have stopped making them.

Can anyone advise of a dealer/supplier who may have a pair in stock ?

I think the Ztechnik arm rests really complement the K1200LT.
post #26 of 30 Old Dec 23rd, 2016, 8:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlorgain View Post
Hi everyone from the North of Ireland. I want to firstly say thanks for accepting me.

I have been trying to obtain a pair of Ztechnik armrests for my K1200LT without success. Tried all dealers I know in Europe and in America but it seems Ztechnik have stopped making them.

Can anyone advise of a dealer/supplier who may have a pair in stock ?

I think the Ztechnik arm rests really complement the K1200LT.
Reviving an old post but try here:
THE BEST FOR THE MONEY

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #27 of 30 Old Dec 24th, 2016, 7:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
I had Armrest on my LT & my wife & granddaughters all loved them. My wife could fall asleep at the drop of a hat & felt more secure with them. When we got the K1600GTL BMW said arm rest would be available but after a year of waiting I built my own using armrest from a older Goldwing. Now my 8 year old grandson is riding with me as will as my granddaughters & wife. They all love the armrest.

I'd really like to see those arm rests and how you made them. Eventually the GTL will be considered. And she will want arm rests.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #28 of 30 Old Dec 24th, 2016, 11:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
I'd really like to see those arm rests and how you made them. Eventually the GTL will be considered. And she will want arm rests.
I'll take a pic once I get the bike uncovered, Wife plants are in the garage and have the BMW trapped in the corner. I managed to free the KLR so I can still ride but have not freed the K1600 yet.

Stevie Shreeve
post #29 of 30 Old Dec 26th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Ok. Thanks.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #30 of 30 Old Dec 28th, 2016, 9:50 am

Garage

Muddleman! I bought my '05 LT in September and spent an exhaustive search calling and looking for the Ztechnik armrests. Muddleman armrests are great and easy to install. I am not mechanically inclined so it took me a bit longer than most. Happy with them so far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in