LT kickshift - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

LT kickshift

http://cvmtouringaccessories.com/LT_...t/default.html i have this site in my favs and i never noticed the kickshift before so i thought i would post it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by IIIIKreacherIIII; Mar 21st, 2013 at 7:43 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 6:53 am

Re: LT kickshift

Firstly, since it doesn't appear to pivot at the bottom in any way I don't see how it can cause the gear lever to go up. Secondly the gear shift mechanism on the LT's is a known weak point and there is a danger that the force this would exert could exacerbate the weakness.
post #3 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 7:01 am

I've had one of those for several years and thousands of miles.
Works well.

By the way, I am on my original shift linkage on my 2000 K1200LT. It has never failed, although I have disassembled and greased it a couple of times.

Here's an old thread on the subject:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55395

Last edited by CharlieVT; Mar 22nd, 2013 at 7:09 am.

post #4 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 10:18 am

Nice product, though it looks like it would stress the shifter lever.

2009 K1200LT
2002 Sportster XL1200 Custom
post #5 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:16 pm

I'm with Highroamer. I, too, don't see a pivot point at the bottom of the lever. It seems to me, then, that the only way it can actually work is by twisting the factory shift lever and stressing it until it's forced upward into the next gear. Seems like a crappy design, to me.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #6 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwing
I'm with Highroamer. I, too, don't see a pivot point at the bottom of the lever. It seems to me, then, that the only way it can actually work is by twisting the factory shift lever and stressing it until it's forced upward into the next gear. Seems like a crappy design, to me.

If you look at the picture the heel portion is well behind the fulcrum. Just imagine that the whole thing is solid with the fulcrum in the middle. The stresses will be close if not the same.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 1:34 pm

I'm not feelin' it. The way I see it, with the fact that there's no fulcrum/pivot, pressure applied to the kickshift downward with the heel would serve only to push everything down, which is great for downshifts, but not much else.

DW

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

post #8 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 2:55 pm

Quote:
I'm not feelin' it. The way I see it, with the fact that there's no fulcrum/pivot, pressure applied to the kickshift downward with the heel would serve only to push everything down, which is great for downshifts, but not much else.

OK, try this: Imagine a disk with a shaft mounted in the center. You can rotate the shaft from any point on the disk. Now imagine that you cut the disk so that you have a one inch ring supported by one spoke. You can still rotate the shaft with any part of the ring. Now imagine a cut in the ring next to the spoke. You can still rotate the shaft from any point on the ring. Does this clear it up or make it worse?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #9 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 3:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
If you look at the picture the heel portion is well behind the fulcrum. Just imagine that the whole thing is solid with the fulcrum in the middle. The stresses will be close if not the same.....
Bingo!

The distance from the heel plate to the center of rotation (the location bushing of the shift left behind the foot peg plate) isn't that much different than the distance from the toe shifter to the center of rotation, hence the leverage applied is about the same.

For those who can't picture how this works, imagine a steering wheel with only one spoke. It doesn't matter where you grab the wheel, you can grab the wheel at any point with one hand and still turn the steering column. And that one spoke on the steering wheel could be in the shape of a spiral, or be contorted in all kinds of different bends, and the end result would be the same.

It is the distance from the pivot point that determines the amount of leverage applied. The fact that the accessory heel shift is designed to pass under the footpeg makes no difference; it could have an even more circuitous path and still have the very same force applied as long as the pedal ends up the same distance from the pivot point.

This is a repeat discussion, read the last two posts in this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55395
post #10 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 3:18 pm

Quote:
LOL, I had the same impression of the thing when I first saw a picture of it.
But the design is actually elegant in its simplicity. If you like chrome, the other option might suit you better, but there is a lot of unnecessary hardware. Compare:

Note how much less space is taken up by the "funny" looking shifter, the foot peg and toe shifter are encroached upon by the chrome shifter. The other one is neatly tucked out of the way, weighs less, has fewer parts, and works great.

post #11 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 3:21 pm

Got it! And now my brain hurts. Time for a 5:1 Martini. Up. Bleu cheese-stuffed olives. Yummm!

DW

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

post #12 of 21 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 8:11 pm

I have the one shown in the bottom set of pics.....had it for almost 8 years now. No problem with the linkage.....but I have taken it apart and greased it (4 times) and replaced the foam pads (once). I had the "Police" heel/toe shifter on my Guzzi way back when, and LOVED it.

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #13 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 5:54 am

I guess I'm a retard. I read through everyone's explanation, but I agree w/ Highroamer. It seems w/o a pivot point at the bend, then pressing down on the back side would just leave the front attachment point wanting to pull the shifter down. From the top view, it appears one would have to rotate their heel inward towards the bike in order to press down on the back of the lever. If it works, then more power to em. The chrome version looks spiffy, though.

I wonder if either would work w/ floorboards?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #14 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 6:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
... I read through everyone's explanation, but I agree w/ Highroamer. It seems w/o a pivot point at the bend, then pressing down on the back side would just leave the front attachment point wanting to pull the shifter down.

I wonder if either would work w/ floorboards?
I think both types would work with floorboards, but you'd have to check the dimensions to make sure they'd fit. If you search the forum, I think you'll fine posts from folks who have done it.

As far as visualizing how the Touring Accessories kickshift works, maybe this will help. Remember, the pivot point of the toeshifter is behind the footpeg on the footpeg attachement plate. Then picture how a steering wheel works: Push down on the right side of a steering wheel and the steering column turns.
The pivot point of the shifter is directly analogous to the steering column; it is the axis of rotation.

Now picture: A steering wheel with only one spoke.
A steering wheel with a gap in the wheel... still works right?
Imagine an angular steering wheel rather than a round one, push down on the right side, the axis of rotation turns.
Now cut away those portions except that point where you are applying the downward force on the right side of the wheel; starting to look like the kickshifter?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pictures 003.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	37990  
post #15 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 6:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
.... From the top view, it appears one would have to rotate their heel inward towards the bike in order to press down on the back of the lever.....
This is true, I find I have to turn my heel inward to catch the heel shifter. Also, because I have the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit, the heel shifter plate is relatively high. Sometimes I find that I turn my heel inward and catch the shifter arm rather than the plate itself. Actually this isn't anymore foot movement than what it takes to position the toe of the boot under the toe shifter.

This isn't really a "cruiser" type accessory like toe-heel shifters found on old Moto-Guzzis or HDs. The chrome one pictured in my earlier post comes closer to those I think. I find it works well, and when my arthritic big toe starts giving me pain, the heel shifter is really nice to have. It is simple, relatively cheap, and low profile on the bike.

Nice to have options.
post #16 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 7:47 am

Seems like a neat little shifter arm, but I have to ask, how is it any easier than just using your toe? I just donít see the advantage of something like this on these bikes?
post #17 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW
Seems like a neat little shifter arm, but I have to ask, how is it any easier than just using your toe? I just donít see the advantage of something like this on these bikes?
As I stated in the post just above your's: "I find it works well, and when my arthritic big toe starts giving me pain, the heel shifter is really nice to have."

Before I started having arthritis issues, I wondered why anyone would want a heel shifter too.

When I was camping in my youth, I used to scoff at folks who brought lawn chairs to a state park. Then after a few years I starting envying them.... and a few more years and I started bringing my own lawn chair.

I used to wonder why the heck anyone would "trike" a perfectly good motorcycle. Then when you begin to realize that knees, hips, etc. wear out, it makes perfect sense.
post #18 of 21 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 4:59 pm

I was just wondering if anybody out there has one those shifters;; the one on the top picture ;;
Thats mounted along with Darius Floorboards.
Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #19 of 21 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 10:30 am

I have one and cant say anything good or bad about it
My foot is only an 8.5 or 9 depending on the boot so I would kick it and sometimes its hit or miss. When I hit the kicker, it worked well
So the effort of picking my foot up and moving back was about the same a toe shifting, so I took it off
Add to that I sometimes ride my S83 without one made more of an effort to adjust from bike to bike
That being said it was put on the first summer I owned the LT and I wasn't real accustom to the Bike, so May try again this summer
post #20 of 21 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
As I stated in the post just above your's: "I find it works well, and when my arthritic big toe starts giving me pain, the heel shifter is really nice to have."

Before I started having arthritis issues, I wondered why anyone would want a heel shifter too.

When I was camping in my youth, I used to scoff at folks who brought lawn chairs to a state park. Then after a few years I starting envying them.... and a few more years and I started bringing my own lawn chair.

I used to wonder why the heck anyone would "trike" a perfectly good motorcycle. Then when you begin to realize that knees, hips, etc. wear out, it makes perfect sense.
It is interesting how events in our lives will change our perspectives!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #21 of 21 Old Mar 28th, 2013, 9:22 am

I understand the operating principal behind the Kickshift. However, for a more robust design, the attachment to the shift lever should be closer to the output shaft on the trans.

2009 K1200LT
2002 Sportster XL1200 Custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in