Anyone having problems with the Garmin 660X and the Scala G4 / Schuberth SRC? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: Do you have a Garmin 66x and Scala G4/SRC and does the music skip after a few hours?
I use a different headset and it works for 3+ hours of music 4 80.00%
I use a different headset and mine failed after 3+ hours of music 0 0%
I have a G4/SRC and I have never listened to MP3 for over 3 hours from the Garmin 0 0%
I have a G4/SRC and I have listened to MP3 for over 3 hours from the Garmin and it never failed 0 0%
I have a G4/SRC and have listened to MP3 for 3+ hours from the GPS and it stops 1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 8:15 am Thread Starter

Anyone having problems with the Garmin 660X and the Scala G4 / Schuberth SRC?

I have posted my problem in the GPS section and am working with Schuberth and GArmin on the issue.

It would be awesome to be able to quantify others who are having the same problems.

OK, here is the story for those of you that have not seen this yet..,.

I have had 3 660 and two 665 from Garmin over the last 2 years and also a Scala Rider and a TWO Schuberth SRC bluetooth systems.

EVERY Garmin / Scala / SRC combination has had the same problem.

After 2+ hours or so, the MP3 player starts to skip (it goes silent) for a few seconds. The player continues to "play" but no music or audio thru the bluetooth speakers.

The music skips and comes back in and then skips more frequently and then stays "silent" longer till it cuts out completly.

Like I said this has happened across 5 different Garmin GPSs and 3 scala/SRC systems

In fact jsut last weeek I just got a brand new SRC and GARMIN 665LM and went for a 3 hour ride today and after 2+ hours it started skipping. The ONLY commonality is my HEAD and MY BIKE.

It would not be so bad if all I had to do was re "pair" the SRC / Garmin but in the past it would start to skip right away after I re"paired" the set and then quick this time go out completely.

Interesting enough, my iPhone plays music over the bluetooth for 10+ hours thru the SRC but the Garmin /SRC combo fails miserably.

I am reaching out to this wide audience to see if anyone CAN use their GARMIN and Scala/SRC for over 3 hours or longer of MP3 over bluetooth and NOT have it cut out like it does for me.

PLEASE let me know if yours works or what your experience is.

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Can you tell which headset / Garmin you use

If you are not using a Garmin 66x and a Scala G4 / SRC can you tell us which combination you are using?

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 3:34 am

Garage
Re: Anyone having problems with the Garmin 660X and the Scala G4 / Schuberth SRC?

Unfortunately there was not an option of "Had G4 and could not get the wretched thing to work properly / Music skipping within 3 hours."

I had a G4 and had no end of troubles with it. We never managed to have a proper conversation while touring, as for the music frequently it would skip within 20-30 mins.

Despite the dealers replacing it, and updating the device, it would never work properly. Eventually I gave in, and requested my money back. After much research I switched over to the Sena SMG10 and not looked back. Yes there are some teething problems, but the music plays, and I can communicate.

I know there are many satisfied users of the G4, and those that are dissatisfied with the SMH10. (I am not excited by the clip mechanism.) Personally I am very happy with the SMH10.

Best regards
Adam

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 7:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Angry Re: Can you tell which headset / Garmin you use

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
If you are not using a Garmin 66x and a Scala G4 / SRC can you tell us which combination you are using?

Thanks
Paul, back in October "Becketma" had a series of problems with the 665 related to playing Mp3s. He was using a Sena headset at the time. I think he went through 4 or 5 Garmin units before giving up.

HTH

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 8:05 am Thread Starter

Re: Anyone having problems with the Garmin 660X and the Scala G4 / Schuberth SRC?

I am up to speed on Becketma's issues.

I do not believe that these are the same problems.

It seems that his problems were related to having the Garmin open up the MP3 player.

I get the MP3s to play but they skip after 2-3 hours and then stop altogether.

So different problems..

post #6 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 7:41 am

Re: Can you tell which headset / Garmin you use

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight

Thanks
I'm with Adam on this in that I can't seem to get my SRC to pair up with anything, but I'm guessing/hoping I'm just not holding my tongue right. It's straying off topic, but the fact you're having problems between it and the Garmin gives me reason to worry I might have issues trying to find a Bluetooth dongle to work w/ the SRC. I suppose your issues will cool my jets re: buying a Garmin 66X in order to bluetooth.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #7 of 7 Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 7:57 am Thread Starter

Re: Can you tell which headset / Garmin you use

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
I'm with Adam on this in that I can't seem to get my SRC to pair up with anything, but I'm guessing/hoping I'm just not holding my tongue right. It's straying off topic, but the fact you're having problems between it and the Garmin gives me reason to worry I might have issues trying to find a Bluetooth dongle to work w/ the SRC. I suppose your issues will cool my jets re: buying a Garmin 66X in order to bluetooth.
The SRC and my former Scala G4 has paired well with my iPhone for 10+ hours at a time and no problems.

I even did a 50CC with a Scala G4 and my buddy had the same and we did over 11 days and 7K miles and no problem with the intercom.

Last year we did another 6k+ miles FL to Detroit to Maine and down 95 and 11 days with my SRC and his Scala G4 and that intercom trip worked just as well.

It is just the bluetooth to Garmin that craps out after 1-3 hours...

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in