Wanna race? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Talking Wanna race?

Cool story... Last week I was out on my 02 LT in Northern portion of Kentucky. Had the tunes rolling, the GPS fired up, just sitting at a stoplight. Other side of the light was a straight stretch maybe 3 miles. Good visibility.

Up rolls some sort of crotch rocket... actually a GSXR 1000. A strapping young muscle head flips up his dayglow orange face shield and starts yelling something. I turn down the music, flip the half-helmet up and and hold my palms up in a "what did you say" gesture.

He shouts ... "Wanna race," and revs his engine in two crisp and quick barks.

I reply, "Only if we are going for pink slips." I look him right in the eye in a way he knows i'm serious.

He chuckles and says "You'll lose."

I reply, "So are we gonna race?"

He looks my bike ove and says sarcastically, "Sure."

"Ok," I say. "Here to Seattle for pink slips. First one to the Space Needle wins."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:25 am

Arrow Wanna race?

Please go on...
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:51 am Thread Starter

He rode away in a power wheelie for over a quarter mile. I turned up the music and continued my Sunday morning therapy session.

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:30 am

Wink Wanna race?

Your story makes me think at this joke:

A mouse and an elephant run on an african track.
The mouse says "what a dust we make!"
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:06 am

Lol

So are you going to keep her?
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:46 am Thread Starter

in poker terms ... i'm pot committed. I'm just afraid it will be expensive furniture in my garage. I'm still going to try to sell. Probably set the price just high enough that no one will buy it.
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYchris02
...Up rolls some sort of crotch rocket... actually a GSXR 1000. [snip] He shouts ... "Wanna race," and revs his engine in two crisp and quick barks. I reply, "Only if we are going for pink slips." I look him right in the eye in a way he knows i'm serious. He chuckles and says "You'll lose." I reply, "So are we gonna race?" He looks my bike ove and says sarcastically, "Sure." "Ok," I say. "Here to Seattle for pink slips. First one to the Space Needle wins."
  1. You'd best be careful making that bet if a guy like me pulls up next to you on a Ninja. I will take that bet, and your bike too.
  2. I don't know what a "crotch rocket" is. I'm assuming you mean "sportbike".
  3. Wanna race? When & where? And what do you want me to be riding? It's all good.
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 5:48 pm

I actually had that race. And if you think you think you will win any race on your Ninja, then you obviously haven't experience high end long distance running.

I raced a guy on his CBR1000 (with hard bags), from the the Saint Lawrence Straight to Belleville. I was on my K100RS Special Edition, with tank bag, duffle bag, and tent. His bike was my old bike, and he was from Boston going to Toronto. I sold my CBR1000 before I moved to K's, and it was the correct decision for our style of riding.

At 7 in the morning he blew by me on the left side so fast his wind blast shook my bike. I thought it would take a while to dial him in, but I did, within about 45 minutes. I kept my KRS rolling at 200-210kph, and he eventually was on my right. He couldn't sustain high speed cruising for very long. He could get up to the mid 200's, but only for a short time. The reason is, he told me why he couldn't keep up to me when we would stop of gas. The wind would put so much force on him that his neck would getting very strained. As I sat in a nice pocket of still air, with only one hand on the bar, he was getting tired trying to stay with me. We raced for 9 hours, only to stop for gas, of which he consumed more. His brand new honk'n CBR1000 was and is not faster than my K100RS, he asked me to slow down for the last 3 hrs of our trip. I agreed to keep it at 140 on the 401, and he very happy to cruise behind me to my right. There is now doubt that his bike is "faster", but in reality, where we really ride, is isn't faster. I will race anybody any time with my BMW, as long as they are riding one of those crotch rockets. Over the long run, the CBR, Ninja types are plain slow.

So, if some sport bike, like a Ninja or CBR asks for a race, take him up on it. Not only is the victory easy, the money you make selling his bike can pay for some new toys for the kids. You know the old saying about a fool and his money? Well, a fool is just that, a fool.
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 7:36 pm

Welcome Greg....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregK100rs

So, if some sport bike, like a Ninja or CBR asks for a race, take him up on it. Not only is the victory easy.....
...have you met Joe?

Warren
Chipley, FL
'05 LT - Gold
She was a fast machine, She kept her motor clean
She was the best damn woman I had ever seen -- [ac/dc]

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."
Yogi Berra

Last edited by midnitejaz; Jul 29th, 2006 at 7:42 pm.
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitejaz
...have you met Joe?
Apparently not. K100Rs needs to be aware there are many, many "crotch rocket" riders out there that have done Iron Butts, 50CC's and many other quick long distance runs.

Anecdotal experience does not a knowledge base make.

I've got $100.00 that says Joe on his Ninja wins. I'll also donate $50 in Gas money to see the race take place.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Adams
I've got $100.00 that says Joe on his Ninja wins. I'll also donate $50 in Gas money to see the race take place.
Yeah, I saw that race but Joe lost and had to give the Ninja away... So he had to buy another bike and went for a Beemer so he can win the Ninja back

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 6:15 pm

Let Joe know that we we get started on highway 20 it connects to the 401. All day, 4 to 6 lanes and go as fast as you dare. If some crotch rocket can keep up with me for 9 hrs at speeds up to 200kms +, and only stopping for gas then that surely would be a site to see.

Like I said, I did the race in the real world not dreaming about it. I could have beat him on a K75 if needed.

My previous bikes were awesome rides, CBR1000, Suzuki 1150EF, V4 Honda Sabres, nice bikes, fast and reliable. High top end speeds, but not fast, not fast for all day riding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in