MCCA fund - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2013, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

MCCA fund

Does the state you live in have something like we have here in Michigan. It is called the MCCA
fund. It stands for Michigan Catastrophic Claim Association. There is a addition to everyone's insurance for every vehicle you have. This year the amount is 179 dollars which goes on your insurance premium. I guess this is to cover expenses above what your insurance will cover. Once again they have us where they want us. I don't like it but what can you do.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 10:15 am

Re: MCCA fund

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok
Does the state you live in have something like we have here in Michigan. It is called the MCCA
fund. It stands for Michigan Catastrophic Claim Association. There is a addition to everyone's insurance for every vehicle you have. This year the amount is 179 dollars which goes on your insurance premium. I guess this is to cover expenses above what your insurance will cover. Once again they have us where they want us. I don't like it but what can you do.
in SC, we pay what's call uninsured and under insured fees...which maybe the same?

99 F-150 and those fees are about $125
03 BMW K1200 fees are over $200

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers

Last edited by FrankNitti; Mar 19th, 2013 at 1:53 pm.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 10:23 am

In California it's called uninsured/under insured motorist coverage. Not mandatory but with a large population with no insurance and a lot more with 10k or less in coverage, it's crazy not to have it. Costs can be about 30%+ of your total insurance costs.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:03 am

No other state has anything like it. But it's due to our particular brand of No-Fault auto in
surance. It's a horrible cost to incur. $175 a year per vehicle (until June 30, 2013), not licensed operator. If you suffer an injury caused by an accident that vegetizes you for the rest of your life it covers the cost of care until you die. The fee only goes up and is administered by a private committee with no avenue for public input. I don't even think our elected reps can influence the process. And from what I understand, if a motorcyclist is injured in a single vehicle accident the rider is not elegible for the coverage. The same does not apply to automobile operators. Only if involved in a multi-vehice accident. But do we riders get a break in the cost? Oh, Hell no!
Read more about it here: http://michigancatastrophic.com/

Matt
95 Honda Magna (sold)
97 R1100RT (sold)
00 LTc, Canyon Red "Tarkus" (sold)
01 F650GS (wifey's, sold)
01 Ducati S4 Monster "LittleOne"
04 R1150RT (turned to scrap)
99 R1100RT Tundra Green
Kalamazoo, MI
"Worry does not rob tomorrow of it's sorrow. It saps the strength of today."
post #5 of 7 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Just talked with my agent....the uninsured fee is mandatory, the under insured is not.

But as someone said, on a scooter you better have your *** covered because the other guy won't.

__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 1:53 pm

Matt, in Washington State you not only do not need underinsured/ uninsured coverage, or a $175 fee as you discuss, you are not even required to have liability insurance on a motorcycle.

Not even a state mandated minimum amount.

I live across the river from Portland, OR where insurance is required. The young squidders cross the river to the WA side to race their bikes on our roads. Saves them a $1000 + ticket for not having liability insurance should they be caught in OR.

Prudence, of course, means we carry coverage with WAY more than the minimum requirements for cars.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 8:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

The MCCA (Michigan Catastrophic Claim Association) can be a PIA. With 3 motorcycles, a motorhome, a car, & a truck... it adds up. I get to pay into the MCCA 6 times every year. But, if anybody that ends up on the wrong end of a catastrophe it cames in handy. The problem is motorcycles are not covered in it, unless a car is involved. The MCCA saves the insurance companies money, but the insurance co. isn't going to lose money,...We are going to pay for it anyway. The state is the one that gets to save by not having to pay the bill for the people that don't have any or not enough insurance.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in