US Route 66 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

US Route 66

I was just wondering if anybody has taken US Route 66 east to west coast;and is it as Great as you hear about it;or is just a boring route ;with lot better options for going west.
I am just checking on some options for this riding season.

Gary
2003 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Re: US Route 66

only bits and pieces are open. The bits that are are open going through towns are pretty cool, like Santa Rosa or Williams. A lot of it is now interstate (I40). You have to find the "historic route 66 roads". The internet is a good source. Good luck.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 7:11 pm

Gary, I have never ridden it myself, from what I have read it is a great ride. I understand that it get a little hard to follow sometimes since some of the old road is gone having been swallowed up by the interstate. There is plenty of info out there that should give the detail of the road. It should be a great ride that I would like to take myself someday.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT

post #4 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 7:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm
I was just wondering if anybody has taken US Route 66 east to west coast;and is it as Great as you hear about it;or is just a boring route ;with lot better options for going west.
I am just checking on some options for this riding season.

Gary
2003 K1200LT

I have always wanted to ride 66 but on some type of antique motorcycle. Possibly a belt drive model with a hand oil pump.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #5 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 7:19 pm Thread Starter

Robert;;You go head and ride your antigue motorcycle;I WILL see you on the west coast.;;;;;I will ride in comfort on my LT

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #6 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 7:40 pm

Garage

Been on it as recently as 2011.
After getting my LT I set out to do just that. Got as far as Oklahoma City and decided to cut the trip short because of my 6k maintenance check so I hightailed it to TX from that point. Yes I got off and on at different points got in some major sites to me. It got better from St. Louis MO to OK. Chicago where it starts to Joliet I have done many times on other bikes. Plan to finish it someday, I hope.
ride safe
post #7 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 8:38 pm
Super Moderator

Took the ride several years ago with another couple . . .

So to really enjoy you must go with the proper attitude, stop often and at out of the way
places, do not rush and be prepared on occasion to go on roads that just may end in the
middle of no where.

This should be an adventure and will require some preplanning . . .

Here is a site that will get you going - state by state and town by town http://www.historic66.com/

Would be best if you took a camera and posted a ride report so all can enjoy!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #8 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 8:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you are looking to make good time, forget it. The original Route 66 is pretty abstract these days. Lots of small town odd-ball things to see along the way if you have the time.

post #9 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
only bits and pieces are open. The bits that are are open going through towns are pretty cool, like Santa Rosa or Williams. A lot of it is now interstate (I40). You have to find the "historic route 66 roads". The internet is a good source. Good luck.
I'm with you on this one Michael. Route 66 is now no more than a romantic fantasy. It was superseded by interstates 55, 44 and 40. All that remains is Historic 66 that exits off the interstates and goes through various towns and cities along the way and leads right back to the interstate on the other side. Adventurers will be keeping close quarters with soccer moms in mini vans through lots of stop lights - not my idea of an LT trip.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #10 of 10 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
If you are looking to make good time, forget it. The original Route 66 is pretty abstract these days. Lots of small town odd-ball things to see along the way if you have the time.
You are right about odd towns with small things
Some where in the night between Tulsa and Oklahoma City I saw a giant Pepsi Cola bottle all lighted up when full. Camera ran out of juice no picture.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in