Questions: Under The Instrument Cowl - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 5:06 pm Thread Starter

Questions: Under The Instrument Cowl

So, the weather, while still cold, is dry enough for me to shake my grouchiness and go work a little in the garage. Pulled the windscreen in anticipation of having it tinted by one of the local tint gurus. Pulled the upper cowling in anticipation of mounting a few brackets and goodies on the parcel shelf. Got into the rear of the instrument cluster, since there was only ONE panel light illuminating the whole deal.

What I got for my effort are three questions:

1: When I pulled the windscreen, I saw that there were 2 D-shaped rubber spacers at the bottom bolts of the brackets. Are these the 'plastic washers' that everyone says to be mindful of when removing the windscreen and are there supposed to be 4 of them?

2: The small maplight is powered with a purple 'hot' so it is always live. However, the wires are pretty thin. I'm not looking to power anything with a major draw (Perhaps a GPS, or a radar detector, or a phone charger) but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea just how many amps those dinky little wires are good for? Don't want a melt-down.

3: Back to the bulbs. They're pretty tiny, and of course, not marked. Are these 2721 bulbs (otherwise known as 74) and has anyone replaced them with some compatible 180* led bulbs?

Thanks in advance!

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 5:17 pm

Re: Questions: Under The Instrument Cowl

get the replacements from www.superbrightleds.com
I have tried blue, red, and am now back to white. just something to do, change is good for a while and they are not that much of a pain to change out.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/searc...wedge-base/74/

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 6:07 pm

What I got for my effort are three questions:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwing
1: When I pulled the windscreen, I saw that there were 2 D-shaped rubber spacers at the bottom bolts of the brackets. Are these the 'plastic washers' that everyone says to be mindful of when removing the windscreen and are there supposed to be 4 of them?
Yep, there should be four of those little cushion thingies. OEMs seem to go away pretty quick, at least they did on ole Toad. So, I replaced 'em with a cut-to-shape piece of stickyback velcro. Holding up pretty good after 10+ years.
Quote:
2: The small maplight is powered with a purple 'hot' so it is always live. However, the wires are pretty thin. I'm not looking to power anything with a major draw (Perhaps a GPS, or a radar detector, or a phone charger) but I'm wondering if anyone has an idea just how many amps those dinky little wires are good for? Don't want a melt-down.
Don't know what the amp reading is for those wires, butt I've piggy-backed a SmarTire monitor unit with 'em for several years. A 4A/32V fuse protects similar size wiring at the instrument cluster.
Quote:
3: Back to the bulbs. They're pretty tiny, and of course, not marked. Are these 2721 bulbs (otherwise known as 74) and has anyone replaced them with some compatible 180* led bulbs?
Thanks in advance!
I just replaced the 5 backlighting bulbs in the cluster with red LED bulbs - can't find the package, but I do remember that it had 74 nomenclature on the bag. I didn't get to see 'em for very long after they were installed (I did a major *blowed up real good* situation elsewhere on ole Toad), butt what I did see, I like. Especially in the dark of the garage!!

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

Gentlemen: As always, thank you for your thoughtful replies. I now have direction.

(Man, I love this place!!)

DW

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

post #5 of 7 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 6:59 pm

And I have always powered my GPS off the map light and on my '99 powered both GPS and sat radio for 100k

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Mar 18th, 2013, 5:38 pm

What used to be my map light wire now powers my GPS, Valentine radar detector and small amplifier for the detector,
had the same setup on my previous LT,
no issues for a hundred thousand miles.

On the windshield I found some plastic hose that just fit inside the holes in the shield,
I then cut pieces of the hose just a little longer than the thickness of the shield,
when the screws are tightened the hose swells just a little and "cushions" the shield and screws.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 7 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 11:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks, Buff. I, too, plan on powering only a GPS, a radar detector, and maybe a phone charger, so I'm thinking a couple of amps, maximum. Insofar as concerns the windscreen, I noticed that the holes had the beginnings of some stress cracks.....and I wondered to myself why BMW didn't feel it necessary to sleeve the holes. I was contemplating adding bushings at the time of re-installation. Looks like the concept is a winner.

Great minds run in the same channels.

DW

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in