Oil change supplies - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Oil change supplies

My nearest BMW dealers are about 50 miles in opposite directions from where I live. I tried to find an oil filter at the local auto parts store but no joy. Then, reading the service manual, I discover I need to have new, crushable washers. Any wisdom on the forum as to a good online source for these items?
Bartman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Re: Oil change supplies

Beemer Boneyard. There's a Bosch filter that fits but I can't find the number right now. BB also uses Bosch filters.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 3:05 pm

A good online source for BMW parts is www.beemerboneyard.com.

At the risk of starting a new thread, in my experience you don't need to replace the crush washers at every service. As long as you don't over-tighten the drain and filler plugs, the crush washers can be used several times. A tip that has worked for me, when you undo the filler or drain plug, do not remove the crush washer from the plug. This ensures that the sealing faces remain paired and minimizes the amount of deformation required to seal when the plugs are tightened again.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 5:10 pm

There are many oil filter threads here. Guys find oil filters from Walmart to Napa. I chose to order the five filter oil change kit from Boneyard and am very happy with what they sent and it included the oil wrench.
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 7:20 pm

If you have an Advance Auto parts near they sell Purolator 10241 it will work in the LT just fine. You can also get a Bosch filter there as well. That would be a 72161. Both are good filters. If you do use an automotive filter on your bike make sure you take the sticker off if it has one on it.

Marty Blok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 LT
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 7:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok
If you have an Advance Auto parts near they sell Purolator 10241 it will work in the LT just fine. You can also get a Bosch filter there as well. That would be a 72161. Both are good filters. If you do use an automotive filter on your bike make sure you take the sticker off if it has one on it.
Marty ;you forgot they have paint on them ;;oh thats right we both already use painted filters

Gary
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 7:36 pm

The bosh 3330 works and is the same as the 72161, the 3330 has the sticker the 72161 does not. I have been using the 3330 now for years and years on two different LT's with no issues, just peel the sticker.
Take your crush washer and oil filter cover o ring to your local ace hardward or napa auto parts and have them match it up.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 9:21 pm

Just a tip from down under, you may or may not wish to make use of it - I never replace crush or sealing washers, instead I lightly coat the plug threads (only) with Loctite 567 Teflon thread sealant. None of the sealant ends up inside the comparetment, low torque only is required for the plug (safe in alloy), no leaks occur and the plug is easily undone next service as this Loctite product does not set firm. Simply wire brush off the plug threads and re-apply the product. Very little is required, a tube will last for years. Main engine oil filter cover O ring can be sourced cheaply from any hydraulics supplier. HTH

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2013, 7:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres
A tip that has worked for me, when you undo the filler or drain plug, do not remove the crush washer from the plug. This ensures that the sealing faces remain paired and minimizes the amount of deformation required to seal when the plugs are tightened again.
I do just the opposite and never had any problems. I would flip the crush washer and will use it for two oil changes. Now, if I happen to purchased my oil filter from the dealer, I have them provide a new crush washer. If I order from Beemer Boneyard, those filters do not come with crush washers. Last month I drove to my local dealer and purchased some oil drain plug, transmission fill and drain plugs, and the rear end fill and drain plugs (or o-rings). This should last me for at least a year, if not two.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I never pull the drain plug but reach up in the sump and blot out any remaining oil through the filter acess hole.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 11 Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
I never pull the drain plug but reach up in the sump and blot out any remaining oil through the filter acess hole.
Yep usually very little at that.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in