12k Valve Check Results - Advice Needed - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2013, 8:54 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cwarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX,
Posts: 240
12k Valve Check Results - Advice Needed

Hi all,

As a result of all of the DIY instructions and helpful threads on this board I decided to do all of my 12k service myself. So far I've gotten most of it done and am now checking the valves. My bike is a 2007 with 12,900 miles. I've never checked or adjusted valves on anything before so feel free to suggest whatever you think may be helpful. The valve measurements revealed that: I have 1 intake valve that is out of spec, 3 intake valves that are at the lower limit, and 3 exhaust valves at the lower limit. I have read that the gap will decrease with time/wear and so a gap in the upper range is more desirable than one in the lower range. I have also inferred from this forum that exhaust valves should be adjusted only when out of spec (I'm not sure if my understanding is correct).

So, considering the above, should I:
(1) adjust all the lower limit and out of spec valves?
(2) only adjust the out of spec valve?
(3) only adjust the intake lower limit and out of spec valves?
(4) button it up and take it to the dealer to let them do it?

Method
I used this feeler gauge and used only two fingers (somewhat oily) to grip the blade and insert it in the gap. Plugs were in and bike was in 5th gear. I measured all valves once then repeated two more times (each camshaft was rotated at least one full revolution between the three measurements). The first two times I believe I was using too much force to get the feeler gauge in and had not found David Healey's advice on the two finger grip. So I measured all valves the final time using what I believe to be the appropriate amount of force.

Results

Intake
Cyl 1
Front: .15mm fit - .18mm did not
Rear: .13mm fit - .15mm did not

Cyl 2
Front: .20mm fit - .23mm did not
Rear: .15mm fit - .18mm did not

Cyl 3
Front: .20mm fit - .23mm did not
Rear: .15mm fit - .18mm did not

Cyl 4
Front: .20mm fit - .23mm did not
Rear: .18mm fit - .20mm did not


Exhaust
Cyl 1
Front: .25mm fit - .28mm did not
Rear: .25mm fit - .28mm did not

Cyl 2
Front: .28mm fit - .30mm did not
Rear: .28mm fit - .30mm did not

Cyl 3
Front: .28mm fit - .30mm did not
Rear: .28mm fit - .30mm did not

Cyl 4
Front: .28mm fit - .30mm did not
Rear: .25mm fit - .28mm did not


Thanks in advance!

Chris W.
cwarren is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old Mar 16th, 2013, 10:39 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,129
Re: 12k Valve Check Results - Advice Needed

Limits are just that - limits. Anything outside those limits must be corrected. My experiance over the years with the LT is that it takes several thousand miles to move a valve clearance(seat wear). Mine were always within limits until 47 K and I had three that were out of limits. I made one more adjustment at 75K on two valves. Most did not change at all. So fix what is out of limits and keep checking. Also there never wear loose but rather always wear tight.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 3:28 pm
Senior Member
 
Zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Loxahatchee, Fl, USA
Posts: 986
Re: 12k Valve Check Results - Advice Needed

Chris;

How mechanical are you? Just asking. Its not that bad to do them yourself, will save you ALOT of money. There are instructions on this site somewhere. Adjust all your valves to the correct specs. While your in there, remove all the buckets and write down the sizes your currently have. Make sure you keep them in order.
That way next time you do it you wont have to guess what size you need when going to the dealer.
Hint: sometimes you can swap the buckets between cylinders, but most of the time you will need new ones from the dealer.
Also since they never wear out, there are people on this site that will swap with you.
If you need some, I have quiet a collection.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Zeke is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 3:41 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City, KS, USA
Posts: 217
Re: 12k Valve Check Results - Advice Needed

Seeing that you have the cam cover off I would recommend you correct all the clearances as necessary. Your inlet valve clearances vary from .13mm to .20mm. Since you already have three inlet vales at .20mm, you can opt to bring the other five also to .20mm. If it was me I would bring them all to .18mm, like cylinder #4 rear.

You have five exhaust valves at .28mm. I would bring the other three exhaust valves to the same clearance.

Having identical valve clearances for the respective valves on all cylinders to the extent practically possible helps improve the smoothness of an engine.

As far as your question concerning exhaust valves go, these are normally the first to suffer damage if running too tight. The inlet valves may survive running clearances too tight and could even improve engine performance a little, but exhaust valves will not. Running exhaust valves at less than the recommended clearance can quickly lead to burnt valves.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
andres is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 5:44 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
cwarren's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Houston, TX,
Posts: 240
Re: 12k Valve Check Results - Advice Needed

Thanks for the replies... I'm remeasuring before I pull the cams.



Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
So fix what is out of limits and keep checking. Also there never wear loose but rather always wear tight.
I read about wearing tighter rather than looser which is why I am wondering about whether to make all of the tighter clearances more loose, but still staying within the limits. I think I read that the buckets come in .05mm increments so that may not be possible. I am re-measuring now. I remembered that I could use multiple feelers to get incremental thicknesses rather than just using the next feeler up from the one I had. Duh!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
How mechanical are you? Just asking. Its not that bad to do them yourself, will save you ALOT of money. There are instructions on this site somewhere. Adjust all your valves to the correct specs. While your in there, remove all the buckets and write down the sizes your currently have. Make sure you keep them in order.
That way next time you do it you wont have to guess what size you need when going to the dealer.
Zeke
I can probably do it myself and I'll note the size of each bucket as I go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke
Hint: sometimes you can swap the buckets between cylinders, but most of the time you will need new ones from the dealer.
Also since they never wear out, there are people on this site that will swap with you.
If you need some, I have quiet a collection.
Zeke
I may take you up on that depending on how many I need and how much the dealer ends up charging.


Quote:
Originally Posted by andres
Seeing that you have the cam cover off I would recommend you correct all the clearances as necessary. Your inlet valve clearances vary from .13mm to .20mm. Since you already have three inlet vales at .20mm, you can opt to bring the other five also to .20mm. If it was me I would bring them all to .18mm, like cylinder #4 rear.
I'm going to try to do this, but I thought the buckets were in .05 increments so that seems to me that I couldn't get a .15 to go to .18 but only to a .20. I'll double check my assumption after I get done remeasuring so I know the exact clearance to the .01mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres
Having identical valve clearances for the respective valves on all cylinders to the extent practically possible helps improve the smoothness of an engine.
Smoother due to similarity in clearance would be a nice benefit, but my primary assumption/goal is to get all of the clearances into the middle or upper end of the range so they won't have to be adjusted for a while (I hope).

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres
As far as your question concerning exhaust valves go, these are normally the first to suffer damage if running too tight. The inlet valves may survive running clearances too tight and could even improve engine performance a little, but exhaust valves will not. Running exhaust valves at less than the recommended clearance can quickly lead to burnt valves.
Gotcha.
cwarren is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old Mar 18th, 2013, 8:52 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City, KS, USA
Posts: 217
Re: 12k Valve Check Results - Advice Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren

I'm going to try to do this, but I thought the buckets were in .05 increments so that seems to me that I couldn't get a .15 to go to .18 but only to a .20.

Gotcha.
I think you are right about the 0.05mm increments, I forgot about that!

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
andres is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fuel Pump Circuit Advice Needed Dean_BMW K1200LT 8 Aug 26th, 2012 7:22 am
Advice Needed on Switching from LT to RT Billy RT Series 10 Aug 18th, 2007 1:37 pm
Advice Needed - Mounting a radio in saddlebag Tom_Becker K1200LT 9 May 30th, 2007 1:41 pm
Valve clearance check, not good bigbear K1200LT 6 Nov 6th, 2006 7:34 pm
Outcome of Valve check? artk50 North West 18 Apr 26th, 2006 10:44 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome