brake fluid on front tire - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

brake fluid on front tire

ok "amigos". what is the reason for brake fluid dripping on the left side of the front wheel?

i just walked out to the garage and spotted some fluid that obviously dripped when she was sitting there.

the last ride was on Saturday. didn't see any sign (but didn't look either). the shinny glare hit my eye today.

Damn, another brake issue.

she's an 02 LTE with 28K on her. broke a brake line a few months ago but that was fixed by a dealer.

damn

<insert>
forget the 2nd damn, i found two other instances where the symptoms were the same. both turned out to be OTHER than brake related.

Shock or dampener seems to make sense. i was in an area Saturday that had a few holes in the side road at my Gdaughters soccer game. i seem to remember (slowly) hitting one or two. that could 'splain it i suppose. will have to get out there tomorrow and do a closer visual.

assuming it is, what do i do about it? (i will look at my new Clymers but i could use some human-not paper-input.

thanks uno bunches

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA

Last edited by mycamel; Mar 12th, 2013 at 5:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Talking Re: brake fluid on front tire

Might be a slider seal. Clymer will show you how to put in a new seal. 3 or 4 bucks, I think they are..

Reach up near the top of the slider( do both the right and left slider) and run your fingers on the back side. Check for oil running down the back side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #3 of 39 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Re: brake fluid on front tire

let's see---the 3 amigos--vern,vern,vern. any relation?

that's a good idea. will do tomorrow. i'm too fat to comfortably lay on the garage floor but i will 'check-it-out'. just glancing and touching the outside of the shock (you call it 'slider'?) i did not feel anything wet. but will do a thorough job tomorrow and let you know.

anyone else with any further thoughts?

ok i looked. now i better understand the cost of labor on these machines. this is NOT something i can even consider. i don't know that i'd trust a non-BMW shop, either. so i now need to confirm the problem and take her to one of two shops in the area. well here goes 4-5 hours for 10 bucks of parts. arrrraaaagh

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA

Last edited by mycamel; Mar 12th, 2013 at 7:12 pm.

post #4 of 39 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 7:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

They are called sliders as they do not contribute to the damping of the suspension. Fluid leaking will not affect performance as it is merely in there as a lubricant. All shock function is done with the single shock on the telelever. But it is messy if you don't fix it.

But given one brake hose has gone the rest of them will follow shortly. Take another look but feel will tell you if it is brake fluid or ATF (oil for the sliders). Brake fluid does not feel very good or slippery like the ATF. Best to replace them all. Plenty of aftermarket options.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 39 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the info, John. i appreciate it very much.

Too bad you're over in AL.

funny it turns out you're also a ham. i was just thinking when i was younger, i probably could have and would have tackled this job. just like when i was more active and could fix problems with my radios. now, i just live with the problems .

i AM glad to hear that-if it IS the slider(s) then it's not performance serious. will know more tmw.

73's

I see you're just N of Huntsville. until recently, i worked for a company in Tullahoma.

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #6 of 39 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 5:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycamel
ok "amigos". what is the reason for brake fluid dripping on the left side of the front wheel?

i just walked out to the garage and spotted some fluid that obviously dripped when she was sitting there.

the last ride was on Saturday. didn't see any sign (but didn't look either). the shinny glare hit my eye today.

Damn, another brake issue.

she's an 02 LTE with 28K on her. broke a brake line a few months ago but that was fixed by a dealer.

damn

<insert>
forget the 2nd damn, i found two other instances where the symptoms were the same. both turned out to be OTHER than brake related.

Shock or dampener seems to make sense. i was in an area Saturday that had a few holes in the side road at my Gdaughters soccer game. i seem to remember (slowly) hitting one or two. that could 'splain it i suppose. will have to get out there tomorrow and do a closer visual.

assuming it is, what do i do about it? (i will look at my new Clymers but i could use some human-not paper-input.

thanks uno bunches
a friend of mine had his front brake line pop on his 2002 lt 8 hours after he rode the dragon
post #7 of 39 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 9:50 am

last time I had brake fluid on my front tire, it was because the wife was trying to kill me

might want to check that

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #8 of 39 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:26 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Too bad you're over in AL.

I see you're just N of Huntsville. until recently, i worked for a company in Tullahoma.
Roswell is not that far away - easy day drive!!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #9 of 39 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:45 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: brake fluid on front tire

Thanks John. if i had a trailer, it would be a no brainer. . i've been looking but haven't broken for the $'s.

well, i wiped everything down and was going to take her out today and return to see what symptoms i would see.

started her up.

The slow alternating reds tell the story. it seems that it's ABS/brake related-not sliders as we first suspected, i suppose.

so now the quandry. do i go to the dealer and have all new SS brake lines put in? i think someone said with the failure a couple of months ago, i can expect more. well, looks like more has struck with it's fanged teeth.

guess i call a dealer here and get her in. Dang/nab it. 70's today and this weekend

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #10 of 39 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 1:58 pm

I had similar problem, turned out to be a leaking fork seal.. Relatively easy fix, took a couple of hours IIRC.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 39 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
I had similar problem, turned out to be a leaking fork seal.. Relatively easy fix, took a couple of hours IIRC.
I had a fork seal leak, but it was just noticeable on the fork tube...not enough fluid to cover what Mike's describing. Sure would be an easy fix it were the tube, but I suspect not. But, the fix at a shop is cheaper than payments on a different bike. FWIW, I've had unsatisfactory experiences at a couple different BMW dealers and their repairs...to the point where I'd consider a competent non-BMW dealer, or an offer of help from one of the guys here on the forum; many of the guys here have incredible knowledge about these machines. Saved my rear a few times.

BTW, you'd be surprised at how many ham radio ops frequent this forum!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Last edited by Reid; Mar 15th, 2013 at 6:43 pm.
post #12 of 39 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 6:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
The slow alternating reds tell the story. it seems that it's ABS/brake related-not sliders as we first suspected, i suppose.
A wig wag on an early bike just means the reservoirs are low on fluid and I mean low by less than an ounce. I would top off the two chambers in the rear reservoir and see if the wig wag goes away then check for the source of that leak.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	early res.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	37935   Click image for larger version

Name:	res 2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	37936  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #13 of 39 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:55 pm Thread Starter

normally i'd agree. howsomeever, there was no reason for the reservoir to be low (front) and there was blood (read: fluid) on the wheel. i had a leak a few months ago and had to have several hoses replaced. so why not figure that's the problem again? and they'll be here tomorrow to load her up and take her to the dealer. i've been told good things about this dealer. Chris(blueknightga6) swears by them so i gotta go with his knowledge. we have another in the area where i had the work done before so i might as well test these guys out at Atlanta BMW in Marietta.

sigh. cost. sigh. shucks. oh well, bite the bullet. hope i can put brakes behind (and in front of course) of me.

hate to miss the next 2 days. in the 70's and sunny. maybe it's a premenition (sp?) and i need to listen. after all, at almost 70 and fat as a cat, anything can happen

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #14 of 39 Old Mar 15th, 2013, 10:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I had a fork seal leak, but it was just noticeable on the fork tube...not enough fluid to cover what Mike's describing. Sure would be an easy fix it were the tube, but I suspect not. But, the fix at a shop is cheaper than payments on a different bike. FWIW, I've had unsatisfactory experiences at a couple different BMW dealers and their repairs...to the point where I'd consider a competent non-BMW dealer, or an offer of help from one of the guys here on the forum; many of the guys here have incredible knowledge about these machines. Saved my rear a few times.

BTW, you'd be surprised at how many ham radio ops frequent this forum!
yes. i concur (and agree, too). i don't know anyone here locally qualified or knowlegeable enough to do it (but then i don't know too many anyway).

with a lot of hams, i gotta say---QSL! great to have them-lurkers and all. maybe i can mount my IC718 and auto tuner with a vertical on the bike. naw. too much work and then i'd be distracted and kill myself. naw. forget that one.

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #15 of 39 Old Mar 16th, 2013, 4:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

A small amount of pad wear is sufficient for a pre-05 bike to start flashing a wigwag for low fluid. The reservoir will look full but once you put in a small amount the lights will stop.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 39 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 1:05 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
last time I had brake fluid on my front tire, it was because the wife was trying to kill me

might want to check that
would not have been. her birthday was the 16th. she'd want her 'gift' first. hmmmm did i ssay first? i better check in the AM to be sure my gun is where it's supposed to be.

sent her on to the local service department (the bike-not the wife) ......guess it could be the wife......

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #17 of 39 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 12:29 pm

Another one (hoping not) Mike? I hope it's simple fix and not another leaker. I just looked through all the posts here Mike and see the Woolies came to pick her up. I think they'll treat you right.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #18 of 39 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

yep. it appears so, Chris. Didnt want to bother you with this. decided to take your advice and have BMW/ATL take care of it this time. had her trailered (at Progressive's expense) and will discuss with them. they'll get to it next week. really missed Fri/Yesterday and today. never fails, eh what?

thanks for noting it. you should be out riding now!!! why you on da computer??

may have them replace all brake hoses with those SS you told me about. what do you think?

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #19 of 39 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Quote:
yep. it appears so, Chris. Didnt want to bother you with this. decided to take your advice and have BMW/ATL take care of it this time. had her trailered (at Progressive's expense) and will discuss with them. they'll get to it next week. really missed Fri/Yesterday and today. never fails, eh what?

thanks for noting it. you should be out riding now!!! why you on da computer??

may have them replace all brake hoses with those SS you told me about. what do you think?
I'm just now seeing these as I haven't been in much. Our beagle had spinal surgery on Wednesday so I've been playing nursemaid for her. I did get a short ride in yesterday. They'll probably recommend the Spiegler lines but if you decide to go OEM they won't fight you on it. I think the cost difference may not be that much if you replace all of them. Remember, Speigler only sells a complete set and BMW will sell the individual hoses.

Chris Ehlbeck

post #20 of 39 Old Mar 17th, 2013, 1:08 pm Thread Starter

gosh i hope the surgery went well. hard to keep a good dog down

yeah it's a bit overcast here so not so bad. we're headed out for a late lunch. Carol has to be on teh road all this week. bummer.

i remember about the lines. we'll see what they come up with in the way of recommendations. as a dealer i know they CANT recommend after market items but the SS make a lot of sense. as long as she's apart, and it's not TOO expensive, i say "do it to it".

will let you know!

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #21 of 39 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

well, the continuing saga: seems that the left front brake line to the left caliper is leaking. the cost will be in the $250 range.

based on (forgotten who-but thanks ) suggestion that all the brake lines are now 11 years old and if one has/is going, all will soon enough, i've made a major decision that the wife will not hear. i am going to put spigler (sp?) all around. over $1k to do it but at least the brake issues will go away for a long time. (then i'll only have to deal with others, like to final drive-etc.

so i'll have my camel back by the weekend they say.

they estimate 9 hours including all the bleeding and new fluid needed.

sheesh. it never ends does it?

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA

Last edited by mycamel; Mar 19th, 2013 at 3:58 pm.
post #22 of 39 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 5:35 pm

That's a biggie you'll be done with. Bottom line is you gotta have brakes and you're doing it right with those lines. FD is possible at some point, but not that serious to have repaired; nor does everyone experience failure. Clutch...that's a nasty one if it gets wet. $$$ The clutch, at 22k, was the straw that broke the camel's back (pardon the pun on your username) for me and was why I pulled the trigger on a different bike. The LT is a great bike; it has its issues like most bikes do, but it's a great ride all the same. Happy riding this season!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #23 of 39 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

WELL, I sure hope the other things don't come to pass.

i remember now why the line is leaking. i had an emergency stop and used both front and rear. it was a similar issue for the first time i had a leak a few months ago. the good news is they stopped me!!! and this is the bad news. so any hoo, this will take care of it.

hope you come back to one (1200 or 1600) i do love this modus transportus. i'm now comfortable with the weight. it took me several months of riding to not be affriad of laying her over-which i did several times. now i know how to look behind me when backing as well as other small tricks.

i do love my camel.

just remember one good hump deserves another 3

73's OM

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #24 of 39 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 10:15 pm

Quote:
WELL, I sure hope the other things don't come to pass.

i remember now why the line is leaking. i had an emergency stop and used both front and rear. it was a similar issue for the first time i had a leak a few months ago. the good news is they stopped me!!! and this is the bad news. so any hoo, this will take care of it.

hope you come back to one (1200 or 1600) i do love this modus transportus. i'm now comfortable with the weight. it took me several months of riding to not be affriad of laying her over-which i did several times. now i know how to look behind me when backing as well as other small tricks.

i do love my camel.

just remember one good hump deserves another 3

73's OM
Yeah, the LT is no fun to pick up. I have a 1600GTL now. Love it!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975

--H.H. Humphrey
post #25 of 39 Old Mar 19th, 2013, 10:47 pm Thread Starter

Boy (Man) am i jealous. can't afford a 1600 but have been oogling them at the dealer. retired sucks. i'm on limited income so can't afford much.

dropping hte 1200 ended a fefw months ago. i have a reasonably good feel for the balance. what i haven't been able to do-don't have the confidence yet, is to put her on the center sstand. i cannot tell when both feet are down in the garage. i'd like to put her on the cneter stand from time to time-if nothing else but to check fluids. i have to ask my wife to make sure she's balanced and level first. there's so much weight i just can't get a feel for level or not. maybe mounting a bubble balance-or using my accelerometer in my phone. now THAT'S an idea. for an old man, that's brilliant. gonna work on that!

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #26 of 39 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 3:51 pm Thread Starter

well, here's a follow up for those that are interested.

i did have the spigliers put on at a final cost of about $1025. stiff price to pay but i should not have another problem now.

i do like the way the brakes feel. more responsive and reactive. that is the good part! the $'s hurt but.. WT heck....

after a day's driving, the ABS flashing came back on. i remembered (amazing isn't it?) that the last time i had a line replaced-even though they bleed the system and refilled it, there was still a small pocket or bubble that remained when it was filled. the levels went down just enough to set off the sensor. so i went back there but it was a monday and i had forgotten that they were closed. anyway, i found some DOT4 for 4 bucks and put in enough to fille the resevoir. that took care of it!! still have to figure out an easy way to get the side off to access the reservoirs without pulling and holding it while dripping in small amounts of brake fluid. i did spill a little. don't like that!!

then, i found where the tupperware wasn't put back correctly and i had a really bad vibrration noise that was pronounced at idle speeds. so it took it back again to have them look at it. the tech said that when he put the tupperware back together, he had apparently pinched a rubber washer/gasket in a section of the right side-front. it was supposed to stop any vibration but because it was not put back correctly, it vibrated. he replaced the washer/gasket and she purrs like new. amazing what a rubber can prevent, isn't it?

back to the road this weekend. shoudl be about 70+ degrees in atlanta.

hooray!

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #27 of 39 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 7:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Get a little syringe (less needle of course) and some small tubing and use that to fill the reservoir. I get mine at Tractor Supply.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1479.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	754.9 KB
ID:	38101  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #28 of 39 Old Apr 4th, 2013, 11:56 pm Thread Starter

I was thinking of one of the squeeze bottles that has a pointed spout, used for 'flushing' wounds, etc.

i like the syringe idea. i had that idea once but i forgot it (true). great idea.

correct me if i'm wrong:
to remove the side panel, you loosen the seat, remove 2 screrws under the seat which is holding one side of the the side panel. i have been 'prying'' it away and holding it; but am afraid of cracking it. the tech did show me that the side padded piece 'pops' open by pullingt it and there's a retension screw under it, but i don't remember if that's all that's needed.

but thanks John. the syringe is a great idea and it will prevent spillage and overfilling.

now teach/show me how to get her up on the center stand!!. i cannot get the "feel" of when she's level. the stands' feet are too close together to know when it is not tipped to one side or the other and when you push down with your foot and pull up with the handlebars and side grip area, i'm afraid i'll tip too much away from me and lose it!.

what's the secret?

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #29 of 39 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 10:31 am

Quote:
...now teach/show me how to get her up on the center stand!!. i cannot get the "feel" of when she's level. the stands' feet are too close together to know when it is not tipped to one side or the other and when you push down with your foot and pull up with the handlebars and side grip area, i'm afraid i'll tip too much away from me and lose it!.

what's the secret?
I too find that there is a fine line between being straight up and tipping over the other side. Here is what I do to comfort myself that she isn't too far over:

1. standing on the left side and the bike on the side stand, I grab left handlebar and the handle under the left side of the seat.
2. right foot on the center stand using light pressure push down until it contacts the ground (weight of the bike is still on the side stand).
3. I push the bike to vertical while maintaining light pressure on the center stand to keep contact with the ground.
4. As the bike goes vertical, you will be able to feel the second center stand foot contact the ground through your foot, that is when you know it is perfectly vertical.
5. Shift all my weight to the center stand foot and pull up on the handle under the seat while steadying the bike with my left on the left hand grip.

As a bit of flourish I like to turn the bar to lock in that brief instant where the bike is not resting on the front tire. If I get (what I call) a perfect lift, the whole thing goes in one continuous motion. The tell of a perfect lift is in that split second when the bike lifts off the front tire but the rear tire does not make contact, that's when it looks pro.

I'm not going to lie to you, I have practiced this in my garage over and over again to get it perfect. I kind of like it when I'm out with people and I heave the beast up smooth as silk and people look at me like I must be Hercules or something to do it so smoothly and with so little effort. Getting this behemoth on the center stand really is all about technique and less about strength.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #30 of 39 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

don't want to pry in to your private life, Juan.................

but..........

Which way are you facing and where is you left foot?
do you wear hard soled shoes/boots and if so, how do you "feel" through the right one?

do you use the ball of your foot or the flat sole?

if i understand you you're pushing down with the right foot, guiding with the left hand on the left grip, lifting with the right hand in the handle? and balancing?

do you play an organ (read:multiple keyboards at one time)? i used to copy ditties, type what i heard, smoke a cigarettet and talk with a neighboring dittie bopper. but shucks that was 50 years ago! now, if i spit, it ends up on me. and i can be standing still.

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #31 of 39 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 3:12 pm

Quote:
don't want to pry in to your private life, Juan.................

but..........

Which way are you facing and where is you left foot?
do you wear hard soled shoes/boots and if so, how do you "feel" through the right one?
I face directly on to the side of the bike. My left foot is probably about at shoulder width but to be honest I can't say I really know as I don't think it much matters, I'll do a test lift when I get home and let you know. I wear these boots - hey they were $50 and they're pretty nice, but to answer the question they have a rubber sole. However on very rare occasions I have worn sneakers and I have even put it up on center wearing my work shoes, dress with leather soles. I would say that no matter what footwear I have on I can still feel when the second center stand foot makes contact with the ground, it is the same 'feel' as when the first foot makes contact just a little more subtle.

Quote:
do you use the ball of your foot or the flat sole?
Ball, well the metatarsal pad really, you should not use your arch as there is no structure in your foot to support any kind of localized pressure where as the metatarsal is basically spring-loaded for just such tasks.

Quote:
if i understand you you're pushing down with the right foot, guiding with the left hand on the left grip, lifting with the right hand in the handle? and balancing?
Once the bike is stabilized on the two pegs of the center stand and straight vertical I shift 100% of my weight onto the right foot. Hand placement is as you noted. My body weight does most of the 'lifting' while my right hand just fills in the gap of lifting power. I am roughly 200lb so your mileage may vary as they say...

Quote:
do you play an organ (read:multiple keyboards at one time)? i used to copy ditties, type what i heard, smoke a cigarettet and talk with a neighboring dittie bopper. but shucks that was 50 years ago! now, if i spit, it ends up on me. and i can be standing still.
I may wish I could play an organ but wish in one hand and... Truth be told I don't have enough multitrack mental capabilities to do that. To be a really good organist I think you have a lobotomy or something, like this guy, at about 2 minutes he's playing 5 different parts at one time - that's just completely nuts.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #32 of 39 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

well, you were so explicit and exact, i have no more qusetions!

i was able to bring her up on the C Stand with just a few tugs the first time. i'll go practice tomorrow. time now for a martuni, and i don't dare drink and try it!

as far as the foot-i understand (not the words but the meaning ).

i was able to feel it and am anxious to practice. but it would be nice to have a "automatic" CS, none-the-less but it would be one more thing to go wrong-go wrong-go wrong-.

thank you for your expert guidance

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #33 of 39 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 8:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are removing the two screws visible when you open the side case right? If so that should be enough to get to the reservoir. There is one more screw up under the big side part right under where you pop out of the rubber grommet.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #34 of 39 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 9:23 pm

Glad to hear you got her up, I just tried it out on mine, and I have the left foot at roughly shoulder width, or about where the side stand is.

One thing to remember, the preload adjustment makes a huge difference. I usually ride mine all the way backed out to the softest setting for that Cadillac-like cushy feel, but when I have a load or a passenger it is much easier to get on the center stand because I have that back shock pumped up a little.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #35 of 39 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

yes sir! i'm 'moving' the seat after undoing the two bolts and undoing the 2 screws to the left side of the panel. i'm 'prying' the panel forward- but i'm afraid of damaging it/breaking it. i did find out from the tech that you can pull the knee panel out and away. under it is at least 1 screw i can release. it makes the access even easier.

and BTW, i did find another panel that wasn't replaced correctly on the lower left side. i put a small piece of velcro pad on it and it fixed the issue.

she sure does sound sweet when all's right!!

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #36 of 39 Old Apr 5th, 2013, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

sooooooooooo. you're saying to soften it and it makes it easier to put up on the CS or stiffen it? i just readjusted mine a couple of days ago to make it stiffer, because if forget to stiffen it when i have my wife on board. i figured i'd just leave it stiff.

hmmmmmm. so???/

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA
post #37 of 39 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 12:53 pm

Quote:
sooooooooooo. you're saying to soften it and it makes it easier to put up on the CS or stiffen it? i just readjusted mine a couple of days ago to make it stiffer, because if forget to stiffen it when i have my wife on board. i figured i'd just leave it stiff.

hmmmmmm. so???/
Sorry if I confused the issue - Stiffening, or increasing the pre-load toward "High" on the shock will make it easier to pop up in the center stand. Softening, or reducing the pre-load toward "Low" will make it more difficult to get on the center stand.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #38 of 39 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 1:51 pm

Quote:

hmmmmmm. so???/

Chris Ehlbeck

post #39 of 39 Old Apr 6th, 2013, 5:27 pm Thread Starter

would help to finish a sentence won't it?

cause if forget to stiffen it when i have my wife on board, it will be too soft and we'll have to get off-readjust-get back on ....... etc.

who said Camel's are smart? (No One)

2002 K1200LT-E

moderator and owner:

Roswell, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in