Min. Cyl. Bore Size & Head CC ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 12:44 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Min. Cyl. Bore Size & Head CC ?

I'm sending a LT piston to a piston manufacture for a quote on having forged pistons made. There is a spec A & B piston depending on the finished bore size. I'm looking for the minimum finished bore size. I'm not looking for the 70.5 mm or 2.770" bore size but the actual min. size.

I'm also planning on having the compression reduced to 9.0 to 1 & I need to figure out the cc volume of the piston needed. That's why I also need to know what the head cc volume is.

Thanks, Dave

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 4:52 pm

Re: Min. Cyl. Bore Size & Head CC ?

I do not know the compression ratio, but the K1200 RS (and maybe GT) pistons were forged, where the LT ones were cast.

Measuring the combustion chamber volume is normally done by clamping a piece of clear plastic to the head, with a small hole near a top edge of the chamber with the head tilted up, then filling the chamber with liquid, measuring the volume used.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 5 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 6:04 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Thanks David, I have a head I could measure the cc's on but I don't have a burette or a plastic piece to clamp on the head. I'll get both if I have to but I was hoping someone would have a CC #.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 10:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I do not know the compression ratio, but the K1200 RS (and maybe GT) pistons were forged, where the LT ones were cast.
I have a '99 RS here and the pistons are cast. I have bought both pre and post '05 pistons in the last 3 years and all have been cast. If any were forged pistons it is now a thing of the past. The part numbers show the same for early Rs, GT and post '04 LT. Only the pre '05 LT (lower compression) pistons are different but still cast. A forged piston would be a benefit for long term reliability of this engine.

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #5 of 5 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

A big thanks to my parts guy John at BMW Motorcycles of Charlotte. The min. bore size is 70.466 mm. I can cc the BMW piston dish to get the other numbers I need. I'm hoping I can reduce the compression in part by making the valve pockets deeper & making it a non interference engine.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in