Ebc Pads $$$ Wth?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Ebc Pads $$$ WTH.....??

Holy Sheeeeeee it..........just went to BeemerBoneYard to order some Front and rear EBC HH pads.....and just about fell out of my chair..........$71+ for ONE SET of FRONTS? Has the world gone freaking mad?? Someone please tell me that I'm doing something wrong here.......their order sheet page automatically defaulted to "2" sets....Should it really be ONE set? A "set" being one pair for each side?

CRIKEY..............

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's

Last edited by PATTERSON; Mar 9th, 2013 at 11:34 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 6:06 am
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Ebc Pads $$$ Wth??

I just paid $37 a pair at Competition Accessories. The two front pair & one rear cost $111 & I got free shipping with the order over $100.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 7:27 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Pat the picture shows 2 sets so I would guess that is what you get. To be safe I would wait till Monday & call them to make sure.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 7:41 am

$65.95 for both sides on eBay, right now. Here is a link to the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170888903705...84.m1423.l2649

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 10:09 am

Wink Re: Ebc Pads $$$ Wth??

Good price, just a cautionary note for anyone like myself with the early model LT ('99 to early '01) with the "Brembo" branded Calipers, these are for the later model "BMW" branded Calipers.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by tips727
$65.95 for both sides on eBay, right now. Here is a link to the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170888903705...84.m1423.l2649

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #6 of 15 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 12:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Two sets! Two pads for each front caliper.
Ordered mine last fall.

I inquired if there was a discount for BMWLT forum users and they responded with "use BMWMOA at checkout and get a 10% discount."

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #7 of 15 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys........ I sure must have misinterpreted what they were showing. I did end up getting them on e-bay. Now I just have to find the rear ones.

Thanks again

Pat

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #8 of 15 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 12:07 pm

I recently got some EBC HH rear pads off Amazon. under $32.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #9 of 15 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Two sets! Two pads for each front caliper....
Well, this may be, but it defies the logic of how brake pads and/or shoes are sold for every cage, at least in the USA. Any auto parts store sells them as a set, which is defined as per axle. You have two front wheels on a car, but only two rotors, each requires one pair of pads, but both pairs are sold to you as a set.

While I won't say individual shoes or pads are not available, anyone who would only replace one pad or one pair has to be dirt freakin' poor, in as much as they can't afford to do the whole axle.

Okay, now that I've spouted off, I realize some m/c wheels have only one rotor, therefore they need only one pair, but I wonder when's the last time a BMW had a single rotor? I'm also aware of the old shoe applications w/ only one pair of shoes on each wheel. I still maintain manufacturers of brake linings should package them accordingly.

I'm guessing this objection is pointless.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #10 of 15 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 1:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj

Okay, now that I've spouted off, I realize some m/c wheels have only one rotor, therefore they need only one pair, but I wonder when's the last time a BMW had a single rotor? I'm also aware of the old shoe applications w/ only one pair of shoes on each wheel. I still maintain manufacturers of brake linings should package them accordingly.

Not sure I totally understand your comments but Beemerboneyard specializes in BMW bike parts; slightly used & new.

It's site offers parts by model so if there are two discs on the front, the appropriate package would be two sets (4 pads). For the rear (LT's) only one set is required.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 15 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Quote:
but I wonder when's the last time a BMW had a single rotor? ..... I still maintain manufacturers of brake linings should package them accordingly.

F650 only has one front rotor. Still in current production.
Brake pads may fit more than one model bike since brakes are actually made by companies like Brembo and Stirling. If one were to look at cross reference tables, you can usually find a bike that uses the same pad on a completely different manufacturer bike and it may have a single rotor.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 2:28 pm

I am getting ready to do replace the rear pads on my LT, not because they are worn out but because when I use the rear brake the screeching squeal is just dang embarrassing . I didn't tear my tupperware off a dozen times eliminating all the rattles just to listen to my rear brake squeal at me.

So in my ignorance I see that there are two different kinds available: organic and sintered. I know that organic is probably the basic non-asbestos brake pad material I put on cars but I don't know what sintered is. I notice that sintered costs more by an insignificant amount but what I don't know is which kind I should be using or if it even matters. I really don't care so much what it's made of, just if there is any difference to functionality.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Regarding screeching/squealing from brake pads with plenty of lining, has anyone ever tried applying a brake adhesive to the back of the pads before assembly? This is used often in car and truck applications, and I've had pretty good success with it. There's various kinds- some are applied/smeared on, and others are sprayed on, which I prefer. You just let it dry a little bit and then reinstall the caliper. I suspect the stuff absorbs/minimizes the vibrations that would create the noise.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #14 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Quote:
Regarding screeching/squealing from brake pads with plenty of lining, has anyone ever tried applying a brake adhesive to the back of the pads before assembly? This is used often in car and truck applications, and I've had pretty good success with it. There's various kinds- some are applied/smeared on, and others are sprayed on, which I prefer. You just let it dry a little bit and then reinstall the caliper. I suspect the stuff absorbs/minimizes the vibrations that would create the noise.
Tried the CRC version of this- did not work. Changing the rotor to the EBC rotor did.

Current:
2006 BMW K1200LT
2010 BMW R1200RT
Previous:
1999 BMW K1200LT
2007 Yamaha FZ6
1986 Suzuki GS550L
1985 Suzuki GS650L
1977 Kawasaki KZ650
1975 Kawasaki F7
1973 Honda CB175
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 26th, 2013, 9:21 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
Thanks guys........ I sure must have misinterpreted what they were showing. I did end up getting them on e-bay. Now I just have to find the rear ones.

Thanks again

Pat
Try Cyclebrakes in Ventura CA

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in