The letter "T" next to the "Radio" on the LCD - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:05 am Thread Starter

Question The letter "T" next to the "Radio" on the LCD

Does anyone know what the “T” is that is displayed next the “Radio” on the LCD display? I have a 05’ and when I turn on the radio or cd player I get a “REG ON” at first and then a “T” pops up next to the “Radio” on the display. This “T” is there whether I am playing the cd or radio. Sometimes the “T” will go out and then come back on. I’ve had the old cd player (upper) replaced and it seems like that’s when it starting do this. I am just curious why or what this is? Anyone have any idea. I could find anything in the manuals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:23 am

Not even a clue...but mine does it too. It seems like it appears more often when I am in the "countryside".

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:42 am

T For Traffic?

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 9:45 am

The "T" means that the "traffic program" is switched off. Some radio stations simulcast traffic broadcasts, I assume in larger cities. If you see a "TP" this means the traffic program is swithcehed on. You can change it from off to on by holding the "TP"/Mute button for more than 2 seconds. Hope this helps.
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:10 am Thread Starter

So this is even displayed when playing the cd player? Also it goes on and off sometimes.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:22 am

I get a whole host of interesting little letters while playing my iPod thru the ice>Link. I've learned to simply ignore them.
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmer
So this is even displayed when playing the cd player? Also it goes on and off sometimes.
Yes because it monitors the fequencies for a traffic signal whenever you have an FM station or a CD playing. If you have the TP enabled and a traffic report is broadcast on any FM frequency in your area, it will interrupt whatever you're listening to on the radio or pause the CD and stay with that station until they switch the trigger signal off again. It will then revert.

Keith

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #8 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:43 am

I had the traffic report come on one time. I sure wasn't expecting it. It is probably a good thing to have if you do a lot of commuting on the bike.
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 1:29 pm

We gots Traffic Radio in North America now?? Cool!

I'd seen this tech deployed in Germany back in the late 80s, early 90s - major nice feature while drive'n the A-bahn. But at that time, it wasn't even being considered for the US.

'T' on the radio meant whatever you were normaly listening to would be pre-empted by the 'special' info chanel. Mind is kinda fuzzy on details, just know it worked, you could switch it on or off and I think you could even set it so it only pre-empted if there was 'emergency' traffic instead of normal road report type traffic. fuzzy on that.

Great feature! Where's it been deployed?

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #10 of 10 Old Oct 7th, 2005, 1:33 pm

When I press/hold the TP on my 2000 it performs a seek, looking for a channel with traffic information...never found one yet.

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in