K1200LT turns over but won't start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT turns over but won't start

A few weeks ago I pulled my bike into the garage (running) and turned it off and placed on the center stand. Approx 3 weeks later I came back and the bike would not start. Battery is fine. Sprayed starting fluid in the #1 plug and the bike sputtered when trying to start, so I know I am getting spark. Fuel pump fuse is fine.

I started to rip off all the plastic, but now getting frustrated - my book says to check relay. Before I go there - what indication do I have if the relay is bad? Guess it could be the fuel pump, but not sure how I would verify that either. It does sound like it is cycling when I turn the key on.

The reason I know it is fuel related - when turning over the engine the plugs are dry. Any thoughts about what to do next? I can't see the relay yet, and have a full tank of gas. I am really hoping that one of you folks has a good suggestion without me having to tear everything apart.

Thanks a lot, guys.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 2:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: K1200LT turns over but won't start

Sounds like the hose popped off the fuel filter. You can check by shining a flashlight in the fuel filler and turn the key on and off a few times and look for swirling fuel. Either way relay or fuel hose the tupperware and tank must come off. You can try the starting fluid again but this time spray in the snorkle on the right side of the forks that way it will get to all cylinders. If you have a meter or test light you can check the fuel pump relay by pulling the connector at the fuel pump and place the leads in the connector. It should show a momentary light or voltage indication when you turn on the key then it will go out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 3:07 pm Thread Starter

John,

That did the trick. Unfortunately, I had already taken the entire top end of the bike apart while trying to narrow down the culprit. When I took off the fuel pump assy on the bottom of the tank, the entire pump/filter came out and I immediately saw that one end of the hose to the filter was off. It is a shame, because I had to drain the entire (full) tank to solve this - my wife holding the funnel into the gas can didn't make her day either

Now one of the quick disconnects to the fuel lines snapped, but I will gladly pay a few bucks vs. a new fuel pump. It received lots of good tips by reading other posts. Thanks for chiming in, John. I really appreciate it.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Paul

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 8:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Glad you got it sorted out. I keep a matching QD with some tubing on it to drain the tank. Makes real easy. Enjoy!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in