Lost my coolant today - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

Lost my coolant today

2003 K1200LT SE

For the first time in months, I started the bike up today, It's been on a trickle charger since ... oooh... about late last summer-ish. It started first time, so I went out for a spin to get a Mother's day card and to visit mum at the other side of York. The bike ran great and everything worked!

On the way back I pulled up under a street light, thought I'd take a quick pic with my phone, I let the bike tick over for a few minutes while I messed with the phone. I got back on the bike, rode the other 200 yards to home, reversed up the drive, looked at the temperature gauge and thought 'that looks a bit high'. I waited a minute for the fan to kick in and it did .... then several seconds later .... splash ... water all over the floor and a great big cloud of steam!

I think I got lucky making it home before that happened! I've had a quick look with the torch and a hose has come off the engine, that would explain the odd looking damp patch that had formed on the ground while the bikes been stood all these months. Hoping that just cleaning off the crap on the furred up metal pipe where the pipe connects will cure the problem.

A question: Does it matter is I use non BMW coolant and what mixture should be used, how much coolant does the LT hold?

2002 K1200LT SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Re: Lost my coolant today

As far as the coolant type is concerned, if you don't want to shell out the cabbage for the BMW stuff, there's always the following: (Just make sure that, whatever you pick, it's compatible with aluminum engines and is silicate and phosphate-free.)

1. Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL is a universal engine coolant that incorporates patented organic acid corrosion inhibitor technology. This coolant meets both ASTM D 3306 for automotive service and ASTM D 4985 for heavy-duty diesel service. It is a nitrite-, nitrate-, phosphate-, silicate-, borate and amine-free formulation.

2. Any of the Honda motorcycle coolants.(Widely available. Often on sale.)

3. Toyota red coolant and distilled water.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #3 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 3:25 pm

Total capacity is 2.5 liters
recommended mixture is 50% distilled water and 50% antifreeze this provides the best boil over and freeze protection.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dragonwing and bigbear for your replies. I may be best going to my local BMW dealer and buying the genuine stuff, I'm unsure which other to buy here in the UK.

If I clean up and reconnect the disconnected hose (can be seen on right side of the bike through lower 'silver' fairing gap, can I just refill from the reservoir bottle, then run the engine and check level from there?

2002 K1200LT SE
post #5 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I would think that if you lost fluid from the lower hose, you lost most all of it and refilling through the reservoir bottle isn't the quickest/best method. Aren't you going to have to remove that upper and lower side panel to reattach the hose so the coolant fill cap will be exposed (IIRC) or very close?

Mother's Day card? You must be a very good son to give her that in March =-p.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #6 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

British Mothers Day.

I'm trying to get away with removing as little as possible, hopefully just the lower silver section if that's possible? If not then I'll have to try cleaning and connecting from underneath, I just don't have a garage, shed etc and very limited tools. I'm not very technically minded.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #7 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 4:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You have to pull the side cover and fill it through the cap. The reservoir bottle does now free flow into the motor. It only pulls back through it when the engine cools and the fluid contracts. If you attempt to refill it through the reservoir, you will wind up with a full reservoir and an empty, burnt motor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Gulp! Is that the right side cover? How much of it needs to be removed?

2002 K1200LT SE
post #9 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 5:44 pm

If your radiator cap is not stuck fast on the rubber gasket, it is possible to remove it without removing anything else, but you need small hands with a strong grip. I have done it a couple of times to top-off the level after a coolant change, which incidentally makes a real difference to the cooling system performance. The top tank of the radiator needs to always be 100% full when cold. I suggest you try this (removing the radiator cap), then the radiator can be filled by using an old gear oil bottle or similar, with an extended tube. Squeeze the bottle to push the mixture up and into the radiator. A little Krytox type lube on the radiator cap lugs makes it real easy to remove next time (Aussie tip). Hope this helps.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #10 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Left side, upper panel. Radiator cap is at the top of the left side radiator. Turn signal, tipover wing and attached chrome, mirror, and left panel. It's not bad once you've done it. There are three lengths of screws. The longest ones fit into the rubber well nuts. Look up the microfiche for A&S BMW. From there just find the exploded view of the fairing assembly to see what you're getting into. It's mainly just tedious, nothing special.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 5:52 pm

As a 'get familiar with tupperware removal' read, click here and while there, look around for some more info on working with the plastic bits of the LT. Good luck.
post #12 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Whats all of the funny looking green stuff behind your bike? :-))
Best from Tucson
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A 009.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	37890  

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #13 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
As a 'get familiar with tupperware removal' read, click here and while there, look around for some more info on working with the plastic bits of the LT. Good luck.
Seems like a quick study in how to undress.
I am not sure how long that takes but if I had the pictures and a tape over (my voice of course) while working at it I might can do it. Also if OP lost coolant wouldn't it be preferential to pull the minimum body parts to inspect and insure the hose is fitted so as not to have a repeat and fill up while in that position. Seems like he has the weather on his side. Right now my grass has a white looking color.

Seagull I'm not very technically minded.
Neither am I. Hope you get it done.
ride safe
post #14 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
Thanks Dragonwing and bigbear for your replies. I may be best going to my local BMW dealer and buying the genuine stuff, I'm unsure which other to buy here in the UK.
Practically all late model cars have some combination of aluminum heads and/or block, so they'd be using the same antifreeze. I know Volkswagen/Audi brand is blue in color, but I wouldn't get hung up on that. Some others are more red/pinkish. Prestone is a popular brand in USA, and they spell it out easily enough on their labels. Seems like they even have one that's compatible with all coolant types.

Any half-brain parts salesman at a auto or motorcycle parts store should be able to hook you up w/o you having to be bent over a barrel.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #15 of 27 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:55 pm

Don't trust just any salesman and don't mix different colors of coolant. You can get BMW coolant at any BMW automotive dealer, or you can buy Mini coolant at any Mini dealer. You can also use Pentofrost NF, a Pentosin product widely available in the UK and even the USA. If they don't have it on the shelf, they can get it for you. These are all nitrite and phosphate free as per the LT requirement, and all three are dyed blue. With any of these you don't have to flush the engine from original OE coolant since it is all compatible.

Make it easy on yourself and get the pre-diluted composition. BMW and Mini sells it in 5 liter jugs. Pentofrost NF is sold by the liter as concentrate but you could probably also get it pre-diluted. That way you don't have to worry about purity of your water.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #16 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 12:33 am Thread Starter

The lost coolant was light blue in colour, I'll look into this with my dealer. Thanks for all your replies. I'll report back. :-)

2002 K1200LT SE
post #17 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 6:26 am

A few things to consider:

1. It doesn't matter what color the coolant is, as long as it is silicate and phosphate free it will be compatible with the BMW coolant. Color is just brand marketing. However, there MAY be changes in the additives which COULD cause issues since your bike has been used to living with BMW stuff for a long time. Considering the minor difference in cost I would stay with BMW brand - and you can get two complete changes out of a gallon. There are only a few manufacturers of coolant still in business anywhere in the world - they market all their stuff to affiliates who brand it.

2. Speaking of that gallon, dilute it 50/50 with distilled water only.

3. Buying pre-diluted coolant is like paying 10X retail for distilled water for the "convenience" factor. It is SUCH a scam, designed only to increase profits for the manufacturer.

4. Make SURE you replace the radiator cap with any brand like "mini cap" which are common, especially in the EU. I forget how many bar it is but it should be stamped on the top of your existing cap. Once the old rubber gasket has taken a "set" it really should be replaced - since it can cause you all kinds of hell - as in micro leaks letting air into the system and almost impossible to find. Radiator caps are dirt cheap. Don't get taken in by paying 4X what it costs at the dealer.

5. You can EASILY fill the radiator from the top by snaking a length of clear vinyl tubing - attached to a funnel - without removing anything. Use clear vinyl so you can tell when it's almost full to avoid spills.

6. After you fill it burp or massage the lower radiator hose in order to purge any air bubbles that may have been trapped. You will to need to take the cap off several times after you've done this to check the level. Top off the radiator after riding and getting the engine hot enough to open the thermostat. (let it cool before popping the cap) You want absolutely no air in the system, or it will decrease the cooling efficiency dramatically.

6. It may be time for all new hoses and clamps as well. Once again cheap insurance and probably needed since you reported your initial leak at the junction with the connection. That particular hose should not be used again. BMW hoses have an extremely long service life, but they do degrade from the INSIDE first - just like all other coolant hoses.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Mar 8th, 2013 at 6:32 am.
post #18 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 8:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you are removing the tupperware to change the coolant (recommended every two years IIRC) consider replacing all the radiator hoses, or at least closely examining them all. Even the little ones buried in the middle of the engine. That hose didn't just slip off with no cause.

Motor On ,/'

post #19 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 8:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by andres
...Make it easy on yourself and get the pre-diluted composition. BMW and Mini sells it in 5 liter jugs. Pentofrost NF is sold by the liter as concentrate but you could probably also get it pre-diluted. That way you don't have to worry about purity of your water.
How freakn' hard is it to add a container filled w/ 100% coolant to a larger container, then take the first container filled w/ water (preferably distilled) and add it to the coolant? Wahlah! 50/50 mixture, and it didn't costs you twice as much. Geez. Some people are so freakn lazy.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #20 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 9:39 am

Just so we don't get all hung up on the color of the coolant we use, this technical bulletin from the Filter Manufacturers Association:

http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...lish/05-2R1.pd

Seems that the composition and use of the coolant was originally color-coded, but no longer.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #21 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 11:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
1. It doesn't matter what color the coolant is, as long as it is silicate and phosphate free it will be compatible with the BMW coolant. Color is just brand marketing.
I believe you intended to state nitrite and phosphate free. BMW coolant is not silicate free.

The color of the antifreeze still indicates the composition and as such it still does matter, but as Dragonwing pointed out the manufacturers don't follow a uniform standard. To not mix different colors is therefore no guarantee of compatibility, but it does reduce the risk of incompatibility. The following comes from the E46 Fanatics site, dedicated to BMW autos:

"Sounds a lot like a conflict between faith and science.

Just to be clear, BMW does not actually recommend you only use BMW coolant. Instead, they recommend you use any one of a variety of coolants which meet the BMW N 600 69.0 standard and are available from a variety of manufacturers.

Likewise, they do not recommend you use only use BMW or Castrol oil. They recommend you use an oil tested and approved to the appropriate BMW Longlife standard for your engine. I know of at least 25 oils that meet the LL-01 standard, another dozen LL-04 oils, and 25+ LL-98 oils. So BMW isn't exactly trying to make people only buy one particular brand.

As for potential issues from using a non-spec coolant, there are in fact some. Unfortunately Prestone does not see fit to share much technical info on their product, but let's take a look 3 BASF products on which data is available.

As noted before, the BMW approved G48 has a organic acid and silicate corrosion inhibitor package and is nitrite, amine, and phosphate free. In the glassware corrosion test, it shows an average weight loss of -1.1 mg on an aluminum coupon. In the simulated service test, it shows a typical weight loss of -1.2 mg on an aluminum coupon.

G05 is similar but contains nitrites in the corrosion package and is not BMW approved. In the glassware corrosion test, it shows an average weight loss of -2.4 mg on an aluminum coupon. In the simulated service test, it shows a typical weight loss of -1.8 mg on an aluminum coupon.

G30 is nitrite, amine, phosphate, silicate, and borate free and is not BMW approved. In the glassware corrosion test, it shows an average weight loss of -4.0 mg on an aluminum coupon. In the simulated service test, it shows a typical weight loss of -3.3 mg on an aluminum coupon.

As you can see, there is an actual quantifiable benefit to using a BMW approved coolant.
"

From my reading on this topic it would appear G48 is approved by BMW and complies to the BMW N 600 69.0 standard, as does Pentosin NF. The bulk of popular coolants generally available in the US however seems not to comply. It is pretty clear to me what to use.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

Last edited by andres; Mar 8th, 2013 at 1:32 pm.
post #22 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 3:11 pm

"I believe you intended to state nitrite and phosphate free. BMW coolant is not silicate free."

Correct! No MSG either.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #23 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
"I believe you intended to state nitrite and phosphate free. BMW coolant is not silicate free."

Correct! No MSG either.
Don't forget it is also cholesterol free and has no trans fats!

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #24 of 27 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 9:26 pm

But is it free range?

BMRBOB
post #25 of 27 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 5:06 am

Onya Andres, you almost started an oil thread there ! About time, I don't think we've seen an oil thread for a couple of months.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #26 of 27 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 6:50 am Thread Starter

I've found a bit of time to take a closer look, it looks like the radiator hose came off due to a build up of crud on the connecting pipe. I'll have to clean that up.

The radiator cap will need to be replaced, I'd better order a radiator pipe at the same time.

2002 K1200LT SE
post #27 of 27 Old Apr 7th, 2013, 9:06 am

Engine Ice is also compatible. And organic too...!!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in