OK, this is not an oil thread....really - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 7:03 pm Thread Starter

OK, this is not an oil thread....really

Last weekend I did my first oil change on my relatively new to me 2000LT. I changed the oil at the 6000 mile interval. When I was determining the oil level I discovered that my oil window was so dark that I could not see the level until I used a strong flashlight and put the bike on the side stand. My question is will the BMW 15-50 oil have enough detergent in it to clean up the sight glass? If not, what are my options?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Re: OK, this is not an oil thread....really

From my limited experience, no, it won't clean the glass (plastic). You need to change the glass, which is VERY easy to do. A search should show you the various options some of us have used.
I used a pencil tip soldering iron to melt a hole in the plastic, pulled it out and popped a new one in.

(edit), just had a thought. Before tearing down an engine, I'd add ATF to the oil and run about 500 miles. Amazingly clean. When you get your hands greasy, just for fun rub ATF on your hands. Clean as a whistle. So, was wondering if adding ATF to your oil would clean the window. Personally, I wouldn't try it on my bike. Just wondering out loud.
post #3 of 4 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
From my limited experience, no, it won't clean the glass (plastic). You need to change the glass, which is VERY easy to do. A search should show you the various options some of us have used.
I used a pencil tip soldering iron to melt a hole in the plastic, pulled it out and popped a new one in.

(edit), just had a thought. Before tearing down an engine, I'd add ATF to the oil and run about 500 miles. Amazingly clean. When you get your hands greasy, just for fun rub ATF on your hands. Clean as a whistle. So, was wondering if adding ATF to your oil would clean the window. Personally, I wouldn't try it on my bike. Just wondering out loud.

I did change the leaking sight glass on my wife's R1100RSL. I just ran a screw into the plastic and yanked it out. No big deal, put it in dry and crossed my fingers. No problems in about 15,000 miles. As far as adding ATF to the engine , I have no problem with that as I bought a long block for a pickup a long time ago and watched then run in the engine with an electric motor driving the engine with gallons of ATF used as a lubricant. I also blew a oil pressure sender on my commuter beater and ran through 13 quarts of oil til I was down to my last two quarts of ATF. I got home with no harm to the engine at all.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #4 of 4 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 7:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When I was a few years younger, my Dad had me changing oil in his vehicles.
Always 4 qts oil, 1 qt ATF. Tore into one of his Chevy 350 w/300k on it.
No measurable wear on bearings.

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in