To plug or not to plug - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

To plug or not to plug

I recently found a nail in my rear tire, so I tried to repair it with a plug using my unused tire kit that I have been toting around for years. The kit that I purchased from the dealer came with about 16 different pieces with 1 inch plugs that you insert by using a apparatus that I couldn't put together. So I went up to Auto zone and purchased a generic tire kit. After ruining thee plugs, I was able to thread a plug through the eye of the tool which inserts the plug. I eventually made the hole large enough and I inserted the plug. After checking the tire at both 10 and 30 psi, I presume the plug is holding up.
I took the opportunity to see if I could plug my tire because I've been riding many years without incident.
I plan on replacing the tires this week, but I was wondering about the safety of riding my LT on a plugged tire. Is it safe? How much should I inflate the tire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 7:21 pm

Re: To plug or not to plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrdr
I recently found a nail in my rear tire, so I tried to repair it with a plug using my unused tire kit that I have been toting around for years. The kit that I purchased from the dealer came with about 16 different pieces with 1 inch plugs that you insert by using a apparatus that I couldn't put together. So I went up to Auto zone and purchased a generic tire kit. After ruining thee plugs, I was able to thread a plug through the eye of the tool which inserts the plug. I eventually made the hole large enough and I inserted the plug. After checking the tire at both 10 and 30 psi, I presume the plug is holding up.
I took the opportunity to see if I could plug my tire because I've been riding many years without incident.
I plan on replacing the tires this week, but I was wondering about the safety of riding my LT on a plugged tire. Is it safe? How much should I inflate the tire?
I never have liked them but have used them with success. I much prefer the mushroom style plug in the Stop-N-Go kit or the one from Patchboy. I think that if the tire will not hold normal air pressure then it is unrideable. If it will hold, then be careful till you can patch it from the inside...
Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Back when I had a Venture I had a leak in Canada, about 800 miles from my home. This was on a Sunday and on Monday all the dealers were closed. We were able to get a plug in it and rode home very carefully. I took the wheel to my dealer and thought the tire was trash. Not so the dealer said. They put a plug in that looked like a valve from a motor and I ended putting on about 10k on that tire. That is the only type of plug I would ride on. Stop and Go has one similar with their kit but I would get it repaired or replaced at the first opportunity.

Marty Blok

99 LT

post #4 of 8 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 9:57 pm

You can revisit this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71734

Plenty of opinions have been expressed for both sides.
Bottom line:
Many have plugged a tire and ridden with no catastrophic failure
What works for one person does not necessarily work for everyone.
You and you alone determine your risk acceptance level.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #5 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:01 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips. It's been two days and the pressure hasn't changed. Tomorrow I will check the tires once again and hopefully it will get me to the shop! Many Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:29 am

Arrow Re: To plug or not to plug

I'm one of the lucky few who have both a semi-auto tire changer and digital balancer machine in the garage.

They do make the parachute type plugs that fit in from the inside, bonded in, pulled thru, excess cut off. I've never installed one even tho I have a few lying around. Always had good success with the usual cheapo plugs. Just put rubber cement on them before you push them in if you can. Helps bond rubber to rubber.

Just an FYI... the rear tire with the 79V 880ME metzeler is one stiff motorcycle tire. All other motorcycle tires I've changed have fairly pliable bodies and sidewalls. Not so on the 880. It's freaking stiff all-around. It would be next to impossible to deflect the tire on the rim enough to get a plug in from the inside. You'd have to dismount it first off the rim. How do I know that... I just replaced mine.

Here's some of my tire-related videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/westvand...eos?query=tire be nice, I'm an amateur! LOL

The coolest one is this $40 version of the $400 cheetah blaster: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NThi4uQMVxI it's my low-buck version of getting tires on really wide rims. The tire changer has air blaster jets but couldn't inflate this one.
post #7 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 6:40 am

"It would be next to impossible to deflect the tire on the rim enough to get a plug in from the inside. You'd have to dismount it first off the rim. How do I know that... I just replaced mine."

Easy to do with a couple of short 2x4's and sturdy, large C screw clamps - with the bike on the center stand.

Is it ghetto? Absolutely.

Does it work? Ya, fer sure - you 'betcha.

"Always had good success with the usual cheapo plugs. Just put rubber cement on them before you push them in if you can. Helps bond rubber to rubber."

THAT is an excellent tip!

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 8 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 7:41 am

This works well and is proven to be safe. IF: The hole is in the center section and straight.

http://www.bowessealfast.com/p-1117-...-rtr-a3-r.aspx

Wolfgang

K1200LT 1999 Champaign SOLD
R1100RS 1994 Teal SOLD
R1150RT 2003 Blue (Sold)
R1100RT 1997 Blue

Pest, Budapest Hungary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in