In need of engine diagnosis on '03LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:52 am Thread Starter

Question In need of engine diagnosis on '03LT

OK folks, I've noticed a miss in the engine at idle and when first moving out. At high RPM's I can't hear the miss.

This shade tree mechanic has done the following with no good results:

1. adjusted the valves to make sure I didn't have a tight/leaking valve. It was time to do it anyway.
2. replaced all 4 sparkplugs
3. placed a used injector at #3 cylinder as I thought that was the culprit due to the color of the plug in that cylinder when I replaced the plugs.

I took a ride yesterday and it performs the same way so I made no improvement.

The next thing for me to do in my opinion is to load it up and take it to Engles in Kansas City and have them do a engine diagnosis. I haven't called them to make an appointment as yet.

Sooooooooooooo, if someone here on this site is excited about using their GS-911 on my bike PM me.

Also, if I've missed performing something simple that I should do before hauling the bike to Engles, then chime in. I don't have anything to do a compression test as that has crossed my mind.

Please note that I now have 149,777 miles on this bike/engine. If this turns out to be a major engine repair, then I'll be looking for a used '03 or '04 LT to buy with fewer miles.

So fire away and thanks for this outstanding site to vent on and to obtain super info.
Vern
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 11:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: In need of engine diagnosis on '03LT

Vern,
You didn't mention it in your post, but what have you checked for spark? You could have a wire that is leaking spark. It is hard to see the small holes that will leak spark,try looking in low light. Another check is to gently mist the wires all the way to the plugs with a fine water mist. It won't hurt anything, just don't drown it.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #3 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Talking Re: In need of engine diagnosis on '03LT

John,
Hadn't done that. Guess I could see that at night. I have pulled the plug wires one at a time and it bits like hell. LOL
But I guess it still could be jumping off someplace it's not supposed to.

I didn't think about the plug wires. Maybe I sould take them off one at a time and give them a good going over.
Thanks for the tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====

post #4 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 11:23 am

Garage

A vac. leak will cause a miss at idle that goes away with RPM.
At idle spray WD40 around the intake gaskets. If there is a leak RPMs will go up.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally
post #5 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 11:34 am

Good suggestion from John. IIRC, It has something to do with amount of voltage needed to jump the spark plug gap, and I can't remember if more voltage is needed at idle or less, but seems like that's why it's more noticeable. If this doesn't pan out, then here's some info I found online:

Lean Misfire
The lean misfire is another common reason for an engine "miss"—this is due to an imbalanced air/fuel ratio (too much air/too little fuel). Since an engine needs a richer (more fuel) mixture for a smooth idle, this problem may be more noticeable when the vehicle is idling. The lean misfire may decrease or disappear as the engine speed increases because the efficiency of the volumetric flow into the combustion chambers increases dramatically. This is one reason why a vehicle gets better mileage on the freeway than in the city. An EGR valve that is stuck open, a leaking Intake Manifold Gasket, a defective Mass Air Flow Sensor, a weak or failing fuel pump, or a plugged fuel filter are some of the many causes for a lean misfire.

The information was regarding automotive engines, but the info is applicable to m/c as well.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 12:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Check carefully where your wires pass through the end of the plate on the valve cover. They are prone to leakage at that point. You can try running it with the cover removed and applying some electrical tape to the wires at that point. Not a permanent fix, but a good diagnostic method. Also look for continuity in each wire. Note that the resistance is linear and corelates with the length of each wire, but each one should be measurable.

post #7 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 1:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwacree
A vac. leak will cause a miss at idle that goes away with RPM.
At idle spray WD40 around the intake gaskets. If there is a leak RPMs will go up.
Actually, I don't think the miss goes away at higher rpm's I just can't hear the miss like I can at idle. It dies at a stop sometimes but will still run 90 mph in 3rd..

Jeff, you brought up a lot of good questions/ likelyhoods for my search in your post. Thanks. I wonder if any of those symptoms show up on a GS-911?

I just now sprayed water over the wires and ran it in the dark. No visible sparks nor did it affect the engine speed.

I don't use wd40 (just ether), but I don't want to use ether for a vacuum leak test. (BOOM) Next time I'm in town I'll get a can of wd40.

Thanks fellows

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #8 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 3:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Another good diagnostic tool is a propane torch. Just open the valve and put it close to the intake system (unlit of course). The propane does the same thing as the WD 40 and leaves no mess. WD 40 doesn't work quite as well as it used to either as I think they changed their propellant to something non-flammable.

post #9 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
Another good diagnostic tool is a propane torch. Just open the valve and put it close to the intake system (unlit of course). The propane does the same thing as the WD 40 and leaves no mess. WD 40 doesn't work quite as well as it used to either as I think they changed their propellant to something non-flammable.

Dean, the propellent used to be butane/propane but they changed it since we were using WD40 for unintended purposes (like seating flat tires on the bead). Either that or some other silly safety related reason.
Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #10 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Garage

Actually, I don't think the miss goes away at higher rpm's I just can't hear the miss like I can at idle. It dies at a stop sometimes but will still run 90 mph in 3rd..

you have done a compression test haven't you, and not just check valve clearance?

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #11 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 4:26 pm

Can't remember but does the LT still have the little rubber caps on some vacuum connections at the base of the throttle bodies? I know my 85 K100 RT did and these were prone to cracking and leaking. With 150K on the clock the seals between the throttle bodies and the head could also be getting hard from the heat / cooling cycles. These were bad on My 85 but it was also 20 years old at the time.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #12 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 4:45 pm

each wire should be very close to 5 ohms - had a pretty good miss in my k100 was plug wire - my k1100 plug wires were cracked and had holes but engine ran perfect even wet

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #13 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 5:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50
Dean, the propellent used to be butane/propane but they changed it since we were using WD40 for unintended purposes (like seating flat tires on the bead). Either that or some other silly safety related reason.
Robert
Yea, that and potato guns. Well, and backyard flame-throwers.

post #14 of 47 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 6:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle

you have done a compression test haven't you, and not just check valve clearance?

Nope, haven't done a compression test as mentioned above.

I looked at the #3 plug again and it's oily so I'm thinking something serious. IE broken ring/cracked piston/Ugh! Might try another spark plug and some "restorer in a can" before I get another LT. If I get an '03 I'll have a whole bike of parts to use/sell. There is an '03 LT in the classifieds that's the same color as mine. I may have to go to Alabama to see it. The owner hasn't given me any details about the bike yet.

Oh well......................spring is getting closer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #15 of 47 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:46 am

Mine has an "oil wet" #4 cylinder. Smoke clears up shortly after cold-startup and I have to watch the oil fill level to always be lower than halfway up the sight glass hot oil engine off for at least 10mins.

I wanted to do compression test but so far can't find reasonably-priced tester with that tiny of a plug thread. Anyone have a recommendation?

Look around like beemerboneyard.com and ebay you can find good used motors complete for under $600. If your bike is otherwise in good shape that's probably the way to go.

Afterwards take your time, open up your old motor and see what's wrong. They use the nicasil (spel?) chromed cylinders so a really bad scratch may not be fixable in the cylinder bore. Correct me if I'm wrong.
post #16 of 47 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 7:45 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You are correct. At least for a reasonable cost that is. I understand it can be done but it is expensive. Far easier to swap in a used engine. Steve Rowe had low compression and high oil consumption on his bike. Otherwise it drove fine. This post shows what we found. Also upon further disassembly I found all pistons had fractured ring lands, but just the one broken ring.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Last edited by jzeiler; Mar 6th, 2013 at 8:04 am.
post #17 of 47 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Update.....................I decided to call the Stealer in Kansas City to get a diagnosis. They scheduled me for next tuesday afternoon.3/12/2013. Hope they can decifer the problem then I'll decide what to do. For sure, I won't have them fix it at $84 bucks an hour.

After reading the last post about a chunk out of a piston, I'm thinking I have something similar to that.

I've had the intake off my bike to replace the vent hose assembly on top of the engine once and that was 45,000 miles ago. Even though I used rags to prevent something from falling in the holes, it is possible something hard could have dropped before I got it back together. I didn't hear any "crunch" when I started it up though. LOL

I'm really slow at mechanicing so I sure wish spring wasn't so close. Ugh! I don't think I want to attempt the "a used engine route".

Thanks for all the ideas/help.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #18 of 47 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 11:21 pm

A miss at high RPM is common to all engines bike or automotive and is indicative of
bad spark plug wires.

73 Jerry
post #19 of 47 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 11:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmutdryer
A miss at high RPM is common to all engines bike or automotive and is indicative of
bad spark plug wires.73 Jerry
Go back and read the first sentence of the OP.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #20 of 47 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 8:44 am

Darn Vern ;least you got the original shifter and clutch;not most people can say for sure.
No really I hope it all works out for you Vern;with out being to costly

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #21 of 47 Old Mar 10th, 2013, 3:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm
Darn Vern ;least you got the original shifter and clutch;not most people can say for sure.
No really I hope it all works out for you Vern;with out being to costly

Gary
2003 K1200LT
Thanks, Gary. This bike doesn't owe me anything, that's for sure. But sure hope it turns out to be something simple that this shade tree mechanic didn't find.

I have the bike loaded (accomplished right after Church) today as they are calling for 2" to 4"s of snow tonight. Me and the LT don't like snow much under foot . LOL So hope the roads are clear by tuesday AM so I can get to Engles with the bike on the trailer. It's about a 100 mile trip one way.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #22 of 47 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Re: In need of engine diagnosis on '03LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernvernvern
OK folks, I've noticed a miss in the engine at idle and when first moving out. At high RPM's I can't hear the miss.

1. adjusted the valves to make sure I didn't have a tight/leaking valve. It was time to do it anyway.
3. placed a used injector at #3 cylinder as I thought that was the culprit due to the color of the plug in that cylinder when I replaced the plugs.

The next thing for me to do in my opinion is to load it up and take it to Engles in Kansas City and have them do a engine diagnosis. I haven't called them to make an appointment as yet.

Sooooooooooooo, if someone here on this site is excited about using their GS-911 on my bike PM me.

Also, if I've missed performing something simple that I should do before hauling the bike to Engles, then chime in. I don't have anything to do a compression test as that has crossed my mind.

Please note that I now have 149,777 miles on this bike/engine. If this turns out to be a major engine repair, then I'll be looking for a used '03 or '04 LT to buy with fewer miles.

So fire away and thanks for this outstanding site to vent on and to obtain super info.
Vern
Stealer diagnosis completed this afternoon(3/12/2013).

It taint good.

Bad piston/ or vavle in #3...................no compression at all.

I've pretty much have decided not to fix it, even with a new motor, as I'll still have a bike with 150 K on it.
I am going to try to take the bike apart. It'll give me something to do until I find another bike.

After seeing a '06 for $10,000 here on our site, now I'm wondering about the validity of the bike I'm interested in on our classifieds. Poster is from Ohio and the bikes at a dealer in Alabama. Can't trust anybody anymore. Certainly not safe to take someone's word.

Bummer!

Be safe and think of me when you take a ride this week.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #23 of 47 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Garage
Cool Replacement LT

Vern,

There are several nice ones in the Denver area, sent you a PM with links.

Here is a nice 2000 nearby:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/3674292480.html

In addition check Bentonville BMW (close to you) they have two nice LT's with less than 30,000 miles.

http://www.bentonvillebmw.com/inventory.htm

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!

Last edited by radar41; Mar 12th, 2013 at 6:54 pm.
post #24 of 47 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:23 am

If you look around you can download the service manual. You can pull the pistons with the engine block in the bike as far as I know. My cyl #4 is weak.

But I think the cyl head needs to come off. Right side there's a big plate for access to crank I think. I've been looking at mine to see how feasable that is.

Still have to find a compression tester or adapter. Mine is just regular size plugs for a car. The K plugs are tiny. Still can't find what the diameter is, I think 10mm but have to double-check.
post #25 of 47 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude
If you look around you can download the service manual. You can pull the pistons with the engine block in the bike as far as I know. My cyl #4 is weak.

But I think the cyl head needs to come off. Right side there's a big plate for access to crank I think. I've been looking at mine to see how feasable that is.

Still have to find a compression tester or adapter. Mine is just regular size plugs for a car. The K plugs are tiny. Still can't find what the diameter is, I think 10mm but have to double-check.
Hi,
Actually the size is 17mm. I didn't have a compression tester either. That's one reason I took it to the dealer.
The trouble with fixing the engine is that I'd still have a bike with 150,000 miles on it. Brake lines are due to replace, rear main engine seal was beginning to seep oil, mirrors are in terrible shape and one side I'd glued together several times, I'm sure there are other things I'd need to attend to as well, so thus my decision to buy a used LT with fewer miles. True, I may have to fix some things on it too, but I'll take that chance.

YES, it is possible to replace a piston while the engine is still in the bike. I could do it myself, but I'm nearing the age of 73 and just don't have the energy to do it and besides, it would take a long time. LOL Putting a head back on requires a really clean work place and I don't have that either.
Bottom line is, I'll be back riding much quicker if I buy a used bike and that pleases me more than wrenching on one.
Thanks for your interest.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #26 of 47 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Wink Re: In need of engine diagnosis on '03LT

So Vern, ya gonna consider "parting out" the old LT? Make a good source of funds for Farkling out the new Bike!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #27 of 47 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
So Vern, ya gonna consider "parting out" the old LT? Make a good source of funds for Farkling out the new Bike!

John
Yep, that's the plan.

Gotta make a space to hang it in the garage and clear some shelves for parts. If I don't do that I'll be tempted to fix it. LOL

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #28 of 47 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 5:03 pm

Well if you're still riding at 73 good for you.

The plug hole I believe is 10mm, yes the socket for the plug is 17mm. But the compression tester threads into the 10mm plug hole.

I just bought this one, try it next week: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Engine-Cylind...item1c282dcf51
post #29 of 47 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 8:12 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There is only one dealer in AL and that is Birmingham. I'd be happy to take a two hour ride and check it out for you.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #30 of 47 Old Mar 13th, 2013, 11:25 pm

Quote:
...YES, it is possible to replace a piston while the engine is still in the bike. I could do it myself, but I'm nearing the age of 73 and just don't have the energy to do it and besides, it would take a long time. LOL Putting a head back on requires a really clean work place and I don't have that either.
Bottom line is, I'll be back riding much quicker if I buy a used bike and that pleases me more than wrenching on one.
Thanks for your interest.
I understand your sentiments. I don't think anyone buys these to work on them as opposed to riding them

Assuming you had access to some room or facilities, it could make for some good tech sessions with you supplying the bike and parts, while others wanting to learn and/or give their hands dirty could supply the labor. Don't know how many enthusiasts are near you, but you could even have a tech session or two just removing parts, instead of you having to strip it down yourself.

Just some ideas. :

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #31 of 47 Old Mar 14th, 2013, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
There is only one dealer in AL and that is Birmingham. I'd be happy to take a two hour ride and check it out for you.

I called yesterday to see about the bike and found out it is sold already. Thanks for your offer, however.

Found an '02 near St Louis I'll check out tomorrow. I will call them this afternoon to make sure IT hasn't sold.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #32 of 47 Old Mar 14th, 2013, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
I understand your sentiments. I don't think anyone buys these to work on them as opposed to riding them

Assuming you had access to some room or facilities, it could make for some good tech sessions with you supplying the bike and parts, while others wanting to learn and/or give their hands dirty could supply the labor. Don't know how many enthusiasts are near you, but you could even have a tech session or two just removing parts, instead of you having to strip it down yourself.

Just some ideas. :

Jeff,
I'll look into that AFTER I get something to ride. LOL I can only have one project at a time.
I've not been to a tech session so one way to solve that is to have one. No one close around here that I know about that would have a good place(garage/shed to have one.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #33 of 47 Old Mar 21st, 2013, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Thought I'd brimg you all up to date.

Brought home an '02LT, Silver, with 80,000 miles on it; Soooooooo I went backwards a year and a bunch of miles as the '03 went 150,000..

I'm in the process of removing the 1100X PIAA lights from my '03 to the '02, and the cruise needs tuned up as it's not working. The checks go OK til the trottle switch. I have to remove the tupperware on the left side to add the PIAA lights so I'll check that switch when I do that.

Nice that it doesn't have a single ding on it. (never dropped) I expect I'll add one before the summer is over. LOL I manage to lay it down about every other year, although it has been quite a spell since I'd dropped the '03.

Well, I guess I'd better update my signature too.
Vern
post #34 of 47 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 8:00 am

Be interested as to the root cause of failure.

Was it piston failure or valve?

B D R
post #35 of 47 Old Mar 22nd, 2013, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
Be interested as to the root cause of failure.

Was it piston failure or valve?
Yes, me too. Been working at it til my fingers get cold then it's back in the house to warm up. I haven't even got a wheel off yet as I seem to ride the '02LT about every day. In fact I'm going to the pharmacy, as soon as I read all my emails, to slow up my drippy nose. The weatherman keeps telling me it's gonna snow so can't be out on the road very long at a time.
If and when I get the motor apart, I'll post my findings.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #36 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 1:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

Vern
Here is an UPDATE to this 3/22/2013 post.

Today I got the head removed from the engine and found a chunk gone out of the top of the piston. Now I know WHY I had no compression in cylinder #3. I hope the pic shows up in this post.
I spent most of the summer removing ALL the parts on this bike. I sure learned a lot by doing so. I'm going to continue to disassemble the engine so if you're looking for a used piston, I'll have 3 of them to sell. LOL
Now I'm going to see if I can get a pic of the ruined piston posted below.
Vern
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01730.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	40730  

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====

Last edited by vernvernvern; Sep 7th, 2013 at 1:24 pm.
post #37 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 1:53 pm

Yeah, that might cause a little bit of a problem. A borescope could have helped find that, but they can be pretty pricey. Out of curiosity, how do the other pistons and cylinders look like they're holding up? what about the valves and seats on that cylinder? One would think they should have taken some beating as well.
Are you going to re-ring all four pistons? With that kind of mileage, you might as well, along with honing the cylinder walls. It's an easy enough process. Happy wrenching Vern.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #38 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 1:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Now I need to ask what mods were done to the bike and what fuel grade did you burn? Trying to get data points for fractured pistons.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #39 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 2:01 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
With that kind of mileage, you might as well, along with honing the cylinder walls. It's an easy enough process. Happy wrenching Vern.
No honing these walls as they are Nikasil coated. If there are no scratches just install a new piston and rings.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #40 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 2:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah, that might cause a little bit of a problem. A borescope could have helped find that, but they can be pretty pricey. Out of curiosity, how do the other pistons and cylinders look like they're holding up? what about the valves and seats on that cylinder? One would think they should have taken some beating as well.
Are you going to re-ring all four pistons? With that kind of mileage, you might as well, along with honing the cylinder walls. It's an easy enough process. Happy wrenching Vern.
Gonna part it out instead of fixing it.

Next thing to do is to pour kerosene in the intake port of the head to see if anything leaks past the valves. That chunk probably got chewed up into little peices before going out the exhaust as the top of the piston and the area around the vales is shinny. I did run it about 30 miles on 3 cylinders.
The reason for not fixing it is because I figured I'd spend more doing all that should be fixed than I would getting another bike. Also I didn't loose any riding time this summer. When one is 73 years old , time is a factor and I couldn't afford a dealer to fix it anyway. I'm pretty slow at mechanican. LOL
The other 3 pistons are good when adding new rings, in my opinion. I figure someone on Ebay might be looking for a piston as I see none listed here of late.
Vern

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #41 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 2:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Now I need to ask what mods were done to the bike and what fuel grade did you burn? Trying to get data points for fractured pistons.
No mods to speak of and 89 octane most of the time.

I'm gonna have the mechanic at Engels BMW in Kansas City give me his opinoin as to the cause of the fractured piston. It'll be as good a guess as mine, I suspect. LOL

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #42 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
No honing these walls as they are Nikasil coated. If there are no scratches just install a new piston and rings.
I noticed NO scratches/grooves on the cylinder walls, so guess all the wear is on the rings as compression in the other 3 pistons were low. So if I was gonna fix it I'd do a complete overhaul. Another reason to buy another bike to ride.
I noticed that the timing chain guide needed changing sometime ago and it was wearing a shiny place on the end of the head.

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #43 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 2:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
No mods to speak of and 89 octane most of the time.

I'm gonna have the mechanic at Engels BMW in Kansas City give me his opinoin as to the cause of the fractured piston. It'll be as good a guess as mine, I suspect. LOL
The reason I was asking is on two bikes I have seen fractured piston ring lands and they has cut the brown wire and disconnected the air box temp sensor. Also ran regular fuel so it left them wide open for detonation damage to the pistons. I want to find some one with the same issue that ran premium fuel always and did no fuel map mods. I don't think I will ever see that.

I just hear so many say "I run regular just fine and have to problems, until..."

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #44 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
The reason I was asking is on two bikes I have seen fractured piston ring lands and they has cut the brown wire and disconnected the air box temp sensor. Also ran regular fuel so it left them wide open for detonation damage to the pistons. I want to find some one with the same issue that ran premium fuel always and did no fuel map mods. I don't think I will ever see that.

I just hear so many say "I run regular just fine and have to problems, until..."

93 octane isn't available close to where I live/ride, but it got a taste of it on trips. The brown wire is on Ebay as I write so it was never cut and the air temp was never unhooked. The bike did have 8700 miles on it when I got it though.
I did hot rod it a lot running right up to redline most days at some time or orther. Oil was changed every 3000 with 20-50 BMW oil. Never idled to warm up. I did add a can of stop leak that sealed the rear oil seal at about 100,000 miles. That stuff isn't supposed to damage metal parts though.
Maybe I just got the engine with the lemon piston.
Vern

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====
post #45 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 2:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I know what you mean on stations. I about ran out of gas on 60 trying to get to Dexter, could not find a "name brand" gas station on my way back from CCR last week. Glad I was carrying a spare gallon on the Bushtec

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #46 of 47 Old Sep 7th, 2013, 2:53 pm

Vern, thanks for posting the update. Always fun to read through - although your problems are not fun.
Looking at the picture you posted, can you or anyone tell if that started as a crack/fracture, or is it burned?
Probably hard to identify now. I'm sure than if it started as a crack, it would have burned the edges anyway. Just curious.
post #47 of 47 Old Sep 8th, 2013, 3:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Vern, thanks for posting the update. Always fun to read through - although your problems are not fun.
Looking at the picture you posted, can you or anyone tell if that started as a crack/fracture, or is it burned?
Probably hard to identify now. I'm sure than if it started as a crack, it would have burned the edges anyway. Just curious.
The pic shows the break on the side, but when the engine was in the bike it would be on the bottom face of the piston. The chunk got pounded around in the cylinder enough to really shine up the bottom of the head around the valves and the top of the piston. Not a sign of soot in there anywhere. It didn't damage the valves at all as I poured kerosene in the intake port of the head and let it set all night last night and about a teaspon full of kerosene leaked past the valves. According to Clymer, that's a good sign that the valves are sealing OK. Especially since there is 150,000 miles on the valves.
I'm hoping the dealer mechanic has a idea as to the cause and what might have happened. I've overhauled farm tractors(top engine RPM may have been 2200) and I've never seen a piston look like this one. BUT, I really doubt it'd be a BURNED fracture. Just guessing though.
Someone is going to get a decent head for a cheap price when I get it listed on Ebay.
Here is a pic of the valves in the head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01733.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	40769  

====

78 years young!
Converted HD rider.
Vern

=====

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in