Factory Switch 4 HCS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 8:22 am Thread Starter

Lightbulb Factory Switch 4 HCS

Okay, I plan to install one of these electro hydraulic center stands on my '99.
I'd like to use the factory switch assembly designed for the EHCS.
I'm guessing/hoping the rest of the electrical harnesses will plug-in, but what else will I need to complete the electrical/wiring from the factory switch assembly down to the motor/actuator in order for it to function? I'm guessing there's probably a relay to add to the mix. The necessary power and ground wires are fairly obvious.

I'm looking for someone who's doing one of these retrofits/mods/upgrades to chime in and let me know what I'm missing (besides my marbles ).

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:37 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Factory Switch 4 HCS

If you have a BC you will loose the BC switch as that is the one used by the EHCS. There is also a controller that interfaces with the speedo (so it knows you aren't moving), the side stand switch (stand must be up), gear indicator (must be in neutral) and the brakes(brakes must be released). There is a limit switch on the center stand mount as well to stop the motor once the stand is fully deployed. Unless you get all that from a wrecked bike it could be costly.

There is one member that has been trying to replicate all the functionality on an early bike and I have not heard "success" from him yet. Most have just added a push button to the handle bars and fed that to a relay. They just have to manage the safety of it them selves.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #3 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks John. I'll probably initially do as others have done and provide most of my own safety measures (mentally). Now, if you'll decipher BC, then I'll feel a lot more informed.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #4 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

BC is "Board Computer" for the on board computer that gives air temp, MPG and MPH and miles to empty. A lot of 99's did not have this option from the factory. The button also has "BC" on it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Red face Re: Factory Switch 4 HCS

Damn John, now I really feel stupid. I'm not absolutely sure about the button, but I do have a little LCD readout on the left side of the fairing, and I've always leaned forward to push the buttons on it to change the display. I'm guessing the BC button is there to keep me from having to do that.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 7 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I am planning to do the EHCS addition to my '03 if/when I get the time.
Thinking about a relay inline with the signal power from the neutral
light and ground through a switch.

Dan
post #7 of 7 Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:17 pm
JWA

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
There is one member that has been trying to replicate all the functionality on an early bike and I have not heard "success" from him yet.
Success is just around the corner, thanks in great part to the help I got on this site. I need to get the bike ready for the soon to be first ride just a few weeks away and I barely have time to get the job finished, let alone talk about it
I have installed the EHCS both mechanically and electrically with all the parts I got off my donor, including changing the fuse box to accomodate the extra fuses required to run the EHCS electronics and some of my farkles.
I have taken pictures and will post my "success" story later.
The complete conversion does work except for hooking up the bus wire. I tried to hook it up to the BC bus wire going to the test plug or to the similar radio bus wire also going to the test plug. Neither helps. It is functional but with a quirk. The system works fine on power up but locks out after a few minutes. I'll explain later.

1999 K1200LT HL Basalt Grey/ Fleximum Sidecar
1983 Silverwing 650 leaner/1987 Velorex Sidecar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in