Antennae and Audio in - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Antennae and Audio in

Hey guys,

So one day into my first ever BMW experience and I have new questions with each passing hour.

The Antennae pulled out of its fitting. Looks like it was glued in once before. Should I simply order an OEM replacement or is there another alternative,

Is there a way to input an aux-in to my 2006 K1200LT? I dont think I have any intercom componentry. Or do I?

Craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 5:41 pm

Re: Antennae and Audio in

One alternate is the Tune Trapper. Reports are mixed.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 6:59 pm

Craig
just ordered the TT2C antenna from Tune Trapper. $52 incudes shipping and a 6 ft cable. will let you know how it goes after install

post #4 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 5:32 am Thread Starter

OK guys I crimped my antenna back on last night so I'm good there for the time being.

What I need clarification on is how I can get my Zumo GPS to work with the stereo system. Ideally, I'd like to be able to listen to Music(FM) and when anything audio coming from the GPS occurs such as voice directions or even MP3s it cuts out the FM and plays from the Zumo.

What options do I have if any to make this happen?

The bike is a 2006 with the single CD in the faux tank compartment.

Craig
post #5 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 8:38 am

Craig,

Welcome from a fellow Florida LT owner. (Orlando FL)

I noticed in your original pictures of the bike that you do not have the factory Antenna. The mount looks factory, but the antenna does not appear to be OEM.

Also you seem to have the Zumo 550 GPS which has bluetooth and MP3 capability.

A lot of us use a Schuberth helmet with the SRC or other Helmet/Bluetooth combo to connect to our GPS (directions and MP3) , phone etc to helmet speakers

I have had the AUX plug on 3 different LTs and none of the provided enough sound to be effective at speed.

IN addition, when you are in AUX mode (for MP3 or GPS directions) you do not get stereo thru the speakers, ONLY the AUX input is playing.

That is why I use the Schuberth/SRC to connect to my GPS. This way I can play the FM stereo and have directions plugged in thru my speakers in my helmet.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Paul

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #6 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 9:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleknight
...Also you seem to have the Zumo 550 GPS which has bluetooth and MP3 capability....

Paul, he mentioned in his other thread that it is a Zumo 450, which still has XM and bluetooth, but I wonder if there's any differences that would keep him from doing what you're suggesting?

Scratch that. I misread the information. The Zumo 450 does not have bluetooth or XM. It does play mp3 files. It was a cheaper stripped down version of the 550.
Sounds like he might want to clarify which model he has.

Maybe he could get one of those cords w/ inline amplifier to boost the signal into the aux. jack?

I really like my '99. It has a cassette deck, which I use w/ one of those cassette adapters to pipe in my XM.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Last edited by bikerj; Mar 4th, 2013 at 9:30 am.
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Paul, he mentioned in his other thread that it is a Zumo 450, which still has XM and bluetooth, but I wonder if there's any differences that would keep him from doing what you're suggesting?

Scratch that. I misread the information. The Zumo 450 does not have bluetooth or XM. It does play mp3 files. It was a cheaper stripped down version of the 550.
Sounds like he might want to clarify which model he has.

Maybe he could get one of those cords w/ inline amplifier to boost the signal into the aux. jack?

I really like my '99. It has a cassette deck, which I use w/ one of those cassette adapters to pipe in my XM.

Jeff, I have tried using one of those cassette adapters, but the unit kicks it out intermittently. Is there some secret trick or do I need a different cassette adapter?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #8 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:29 am

Robert, once I get my to stay in, I usually don't have any more problems with it. Sometimes, the player tries to eject the adapter two or three times, but I keep pushing it back in until it stops. I don't know what causes it. Seems like it thinks the tape has ended, so it ejects, but there's no tape. Maybe the little "wheels" in the adapter are spinning freely enough?

The way most stores are fairly liberal with their return policies, you could probably buy another one from someone like Wally World and then return it if it acted the same. Just tell them it didn't work in your player, which would be the case.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #9 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:56 am Thread Starter

Hey guys, just to confirm, it is a zumo 450 therefore as mentioned, it does not have Bluetooth. In addition, I have a sena smh-10 Bluetooth in my helmet. This sena init does have a aux in so I could run a cable from the Garmin cradle to the sena but I rather not be teathered like that. Ideally I'd like to listen to the radio and if Garmin commands occur they come in over the radio. Is this unlikely with my bike?
Craig
post #10 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Craig, you might shop around and look for a Bluetooth dongle that allows you to plug-in your non-Bluetooth devices to it, and then have it paired to your Comm unit. I don't know if the dongle will prioritize the various inputs, but it seems like it should, otherwise you'd have instances of hearing several audio signals at same time.
The hardest part will be to find a dongle that will actually pair to your Sena unit. Once you find one of these, the rest is relatively easy. Before you lay down your dollars, get some kind of guarantee the dongle will pair up. I've already bought two different ones w/ no joy.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #11 of 11 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 2:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigmri
Hey guys, just to confirm, it is a zumo 450 therefore as mentioned, it does not have Bluetooth. In addition, I have a sena smh-10 Bluetooth in my helmet. This sena init does have a aux in so I could run a cable from the Garmin cradle to the sena but I rather not be teathered like that. Ideally I'd like to listen to the radio and if Garmin commands occur they come in over the radio. Is this unlikely with my bike?
Craig
Craig,
The 450 has a headset audio out, so you could try a bluetooth dongle like one of these to get the 450 into the sena, that gives you 1/2 of your needs.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in