Need an Final Drive Repairman - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Need an Final Drive Repairman

I haven't been to this forum in awhile. l do remember someone offering their expertise in FD rebuilding. If someone would send me a link to a tread or contact I would be grateful. Thanks

John in CT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:20 pm

Re: Need an Final Drive Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaiwanna
I haven't been to this forum in awhile. l do remember someone offering their expertise in FD rebuilding. If someone would send me a link to a tread or contact I would be grateful. Thanks

John in CT
The name that i remember is Charlie VT

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #3 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 10:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You are practically next door to Curtis (AKA CharlieVT). He does good work. He might be tied up tapping Maple trees though.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 11:27 pm

IIRC, Curtis (CharlieVT) is not doing final drives any longer. Dave (Saddleman in NC) and John (JZeiler in AL) do. Both are GREAT mechanics and know what they're doing on the end of a wrench. I'd trust either to work on my LT. HTH!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #5 of 12 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 6:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee510
IIRC, Curtis (CharlieVT) is not doing final drives any longer. Dave (Saddleman in NC) and John (JZeiler in AL) do. Both are GREAT mechanics and know what they're doing on the end of a wrench. I'd trust either to work on my LT. HTH!
I might do a final drive or two in the future, but now's sure not a good time. Maple Sugaring season is upon us. Sweet!

I give a strong endorsement to Dave Selvig (saddleman). Dave is a professional NASCAR engine builder and understands the KLT final drive. When I stopped taking final drives for rebuild/repair, I asked Dave to accept my referrals.

John Zeiler is also a professional with a background in aviation maintenance (GO NAVY!), and also an excellent choice.

You couldn't do better than either of these guys.

John in CT,
If you just want your FD fixed you couldn't do better than sending it to either Dave and John. If you are interested in a "tech session" and would like to get into your final drive and see how it is done, and you're willing to wait a couple of months, then you could bring it up here and we could go through it together.
post #6 of 12 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 12:59 pm

I have a '99 with a speedometer encoder that is spinning and as such, need to remove the final drive to reseat that part. I am considering that when I have the drive out of the bike rebuilding the Crown Bearing. At this point I am considering doing it myself, but was wondering if anyone knows people in Northern Cal who do this work?
post #7 of 12 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtian
I have a '99 with a speedometer encoder that is spinning and as such, need to remove the final drive to reseat that part. I am considering that when I have the drive out of the bike rebuilding the Crown Bearing. At this point I am considering doing it myself, but was wondering if anyone knows people in Northern Cal who do this work?
Drain the drive really well.
Remove the FD from the bike.
Remove the input driveshaft U-joint.
Remove the brake rotor.
Double bag in heavy duty plastic bags so residual oil doesn't get out.
It will fit in a USPS (US Postal Service) Priortiy Flat Rate Medium shipping box and will ship anywhere in the country for about $15.

Contact Dave Selvig (aka Saddleman) on this site to see if he is available to do your drive. Another good choice would be John Z, also on this site.

BTW, not sure what you mean by a "speedometer encoder that is spinning" but, it is is the "castle" ring inside the FD that the sensor picks up you may have an underlying issue. That is, the "creeping" input pinion needle bearing race which is known to displace the speedometer sending ring. You want someone who is familiar with this problem and has experience fixing it.

If you choose to do it yourself, post pics and we can talk you through your findings. If you do find the creeping needle bearing race problem you will have a bigger challenge. This requires disassembly of the input pinion shaft, pressing the race back on, best done with some method of preventing the "creep" in the future. Disassembly of the input pinion shaft requires special tools, heat, and high torque values.
HTH
post #8 of 12 Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 11:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Remove the brake rotor.
It will fit in a USPS (US Postal Service) Priortiy Flat Rate Medium shipping box and will ship anywhere in the country for about $15.

Contact Dave Selvig (aka Saddleman) on this site to see if he is available to do your drive. Another good choice would be John Z, also on this site.

BTW, not sure what you mean by a "speedometer encoder that is spinning" but, it is is the "castle" ring inside the FD that the sensor picks up you may have an underlying issue. That is, the "creeping" input pinion needle bearing race which is known to displace the speedometer sending ring. You want someone who is familiar with this problem and has experience fixing it.

If you choose to do it yourself, post pics and we can talk you through your findings. If you do find the creeping needle bearing race problem you will have a bigger challenge. This requires disassembly of the input pinion shaft, pressing the race back on, best done with some method of preventing the "creep" in the future. Disassembly of the input pinion shaft requires special tools, heat, and high torque values.
HTH
Charlie, thank for the quick and succinct response. The issue is the Castle ring, in control systems it would be a shaft encoder, I like castle better. Based upon your findings about the pinion race I am going to contact Dave or John to see if they can rebuild it.
post #9 of 12 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 12:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaiwanna

John in CT
As an option I have a brand new one for sale, and it can be in your hands by next week.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ht=final+drive

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #10 of 12 Old Nov 3rd, 2013, 11:26 am

Quote:
Remove the brake rotor.

HTH

Correction: I should have said a LARGE USPS flat rate shipping box, not "medium"... but you probably would have figured that out pretty quickly.
post #11 of 12 Old Nov 5th, 2013, 11:07 pm

Quote:
Correction: I should have said a LARGE USPS flat rate shipping box, not "medium"... but you probably would have figured that out pretty quickly.
I took CharlieVT's recommendation and Contacted Dave Selvig (aka Saddleman) and got a quote to rebuild the drive and it was very reasonable. I am going to pull the drive ship it to him (in a large USPS box) in November during my trip to Alabama for the opening of dear hunting season. He should have it back to me such that I probably will not even miss a weekend of riding here in Northern California.

Charlie thanks for the excellent recommendation!
post #12 of 12 Old Nov 8th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Dave does a great job on the rebuild. He did mine in September and was able to get some riding in before the weather starting on going down hill in Michigan. I can't wait until next year already.

Marty Blok

99 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in