Satellite wiring issue? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

Satellite wiring issue?

Purchased a 2008 LT with 15k miles in late October and all is well except that I am getting ignition whine thru the satellite radio. The previous owner was very meticulous with the bike and had all options installed at the dealership. So before I go tearing into the great unknown I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this issue. I feel like it is wired incorrectly but was curious where it should be wired into. Thoughts, time and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Kevin Crowley

2008 Black LT "Orca"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Re: Satellite wiring issue?

I have Sirius on my '05LT, took the power off the front side marker light, no noise. I have a Baehr comm system.

BMRBOB
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 7:53 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

How is the audio getting to the speaker/headset? Is it directly wired using the AUX input or are you using the RF transmitter in the XM radio?

Make sure the antenna wire which is very long is not wadded into a ball. Straighten it out under the handle bar cover or someplace that you can lay it back and forth about a foot long.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

It has a removable jack that plugs into the AUX input. The whine is present whether I use external speakers or helmet speakers. Is a XM radio brand. Thanks for the input.

Kevin Crowley

2008 Black LT "Orca"
post #5 of 9 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:28 am

FWIW, I have my extra XM cord coiled up, but maybe I've just been living right....on second thought, that can't be.

You say everything else is find, in that you do not get the same whine from the factory radio?
Just checkin'.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 9 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Factory radio, cd, etc quiet as a church mouse. Only get the buzzing thru the satellite radio.

Kevin Crowley

2008 Black LT "Orca"
post #7 of 9 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 11:30 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Try a few ceramic rare earth type magnet and loop the cable through them.
They should clean up a lot of the noise...
Its the same type of magnet that is at the end of your VGA monitor cable or computer power cord.

Also try to put a few of these on the power cable that feed the XM if you can.

See pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	125.6 KB
ID:	37901  

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #8 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 11:53 am

you say "Ignition whine"... is that really what it is? Does it follow engine speed (i.e., as you speed up the ENGINE, does the pitch of the whine change? If the engine is off, is it whineless?

If so, that's often a sign of a bad alternator. The car alternators (how portable this is to the LT, can't say for sure) I've worked with will typically have three sets of windings/diodes, and if one of the diodes or windings is bad, you will get a whine through the audio system, even though the alternator will still put out enough juice to keep the car running indefinitely (though you may have problems when loading it up -- idle, lights on, heated grips, heated seat ... and things might get unhappy quickly should another diode or winding fail)

I'd suggest starting by figuring out where the whine is coming from -- you have two choices, really: through the power or through the the air. Disconnect your sat radio's power from the bike, and power it from "something else" -- preferably a battery. Make sure you ground your "something else" to the negative terminal on the battery of the bike. If that eliminates the whine, it is coming through the power system...start looking at your alternator.

If you still get the whine, it is probably coming "through the air", probably due to something routing near spark wires, ignition computer or similar. At that point, the ferrite beads (not magnets) tvguy mentioned above might help, though rerouting would be my preference. And yes, you can scavenge these things off various cords with big mysterious blocks near the ends. If you hunt, you can get two-piece cores which can be clipped around existing wires without any disassembly. They work by basically turning your wire into an inductor which will actively block higher frequencies. You might be already seeing a problem here -- you have an audible frequency you are trying to block, which is fine if it is riding on a power wire, but if it is riding on an audio cable, you probably don't want to chop out those frequencies.
post #9 of 9 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight everyone. I will go to work on it.

Kevin Crowley

2008 Black LT "Orca"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in