Shift linkage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Shift linkage

Hmmm. I put a new, stronger, revised shift linkage on about one year ago, in hopes of eliminating the breakage issue. On the way home last night, it broke, right at the shift lever (first heim joint). No hard shifts,and no other issures. It left me in second gear, to ride 12 miles home.
Any words of wisdom, or other issues to look for ? All the other linkage loos fine. I had just returned from a 400 miles trip into Arkansas this last weekend ,and had checked the linkage before leaving, and all was tight. All opinions welcome.
Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 5:26 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Shift linkage

One mans easy shift is another mans kick. It's important for the ball joints not to be stressed with the side plate installed, so checking the alignment of the linkage is important as it can bind if the joints are not aligned properly when the nuts get tightened. Also, many folks are prone to "tapping" the shifter when the bike hesitates to go into first gear. If that sounds familiar, try putting light pressure on the shifter as you feather out the clutch. It'll slip right in gear.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Shift linkage

I will say, I am pretty careful, but..........I must admit I did not check alignment of the heim joints fully.
The upper joint needed retightening twice, but the bottom was seeminly good. I will pull it tonight and look. Thank goodness I still have another bike to ride, although it is a little less wind protection. (ZRX 1200)
Thanks for the input

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 6:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfflow
Hmmm. I put a new, stronger, revised shift linkage on about one year ago, in hopes of eliminating the breakage issue. On the way home last night, it broke, right at the shift lever (first heim joint). No hard shifts,and no other issures. It left me in second gear, to ride 12 miles home.
Any words of wisdom, or other issues to look for ? All the other linkage loos fine. I had just returned from a 400 miles trip into Arkansas this last weekend ,and had checked the linkage before leaving, and all was tight. All opinions welcome.
Jeff
Did you come to BMW from Harley?

I always cringe when I watch some Harley riders that literally kick the shift lever to change gears. Never understood that.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 6:38 pm
Enjoy The Ride

The weak link on any of the different linkages is if they come loose. As long as all the linkage threads stay tight they are pretty reliable. That goes for the BMW linkage & the aftermarket linkages as well. The advantage on some of the aftermarket linkage's is that you don't need to lube them.

I prefer the stock BMW linkage because of the ease to remove the linkage & the rider foot plate to inspect the ball studs & lube them. I do this at least twice a year on my LT's.

I have purchased & carry both of the aftermarket HD linkage kits (1999 to 2004 & 2005 to 2009 ) with me on all of my trips. I also carry spare parts for the stock linkage.

With either kit if the threads come loose you can have a failure.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #6 of 13 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 6:23 am

I installed the aftermarket linkage after breaking my original in a panic stop. They are great and have no slack in them. It's a tight, smooth shift now.......I recommend them for sure.......

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #7 of 13 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 7:54 am Thread Starter

Well, after closer inspection, it snapped off at the necked down area between the ball and start of threads. The ball end of the stock linkage is MUCH larger than the replacement I had installed. I will look close a little more often.
post #8 of 13 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 8:00 am

One recommendation is not to use heat to loosen the loctite on the left over stud, go ahead and remove the linkage and get it out. I melted the inside of my clutch hose ($132 part) and am hopefully going to get it put back together this weekend. I found a way to change it without pulling the drive shaft but it has been a pain as basically the bike has to be pretty stripped down (gives me an excuse to do a 12k check though) and I used a long 1/4 " extension with a universal socket to hold the hex key stud after super-gluing the washers to the hose and bolt. I was able to reach it with the left foot peg plate removed and holding my tongue just right. Hopefully this wont happen to you.
post #9 of 13 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 10:49 am Thread Starter

No, it was all good. The lower ball/stud is what broke on mine. I removed the footpeg assy., and took the shifter off, to drill/EZ out the remains. I put the stocker back on. It all worked quite well on the way to work this morning.
Now, to wash and clean it. It's been 'buggified" by my trip to Arkansas last weekend.
post #10 of 13 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 12:22 pm

Just remember, time spent washing and polishing is time spent NOT riding.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 13 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Just remember, time spent washing and polishing is time spent NOT riding.
You sound just like my ridin' buddy. On a trip ,me on the Beemer, him on a new Goldwing , he told me. "I'll wash it when I'm finished riding for the trip". 2500 miles later, his got a bath.
post #12 of 13 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 1:28 pm

I gave mine a thorough cleaning back in July when it was apart for a clutch replacement.

I keep the screen, mirrors, and lights clean, and I make sure my butt gets in the saddle often enough to keep it clean, too.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #13 of 13 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 6:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diolach
One recommendation is not to use heat to loosen the loctite on the left over stud, go ahead and remove the linkage and get it out. I melted the inside of my clutch hose ($132 part) and am hopefully going to get it put back together this weekend. I found a way to change it without pulling the drive shaft but it has been a pain as basically the bike has to be pretty stripped down (gives me an excuse to do a 12k check though) and I used a long 1/4 " extension with a universal socket to hold the hex key stud after super-gluing the washers to the hose and bolt. I was able to reach it with the left foot peg plate removed and holding my tongue just right. Hopefully this wont happen to you.
I was wondering how that worked out - glad you got OK.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in