Template for Luggage Rack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 7:28 am Thread Starter

Question Template for Luggage Rack

I'm inquiring if anyone's every seen or know where I can get a template of the mounting holes for the factory luggage rack to be installed on one of the first generation trunk lids.

I guess I'm being anal about the placement, yet I'm hoping to install it w/ minimal time spent.

I'm hoping to accomplish several "upgrades" to the bike within only a few days before we roll out for the Spring Training Rally, or whatever it's called

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 10:58 am

Re: Template for Luggage Rack

You back on CONUS?

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #3 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
You back on CONUS?
No, not yet. I'm scheduled to fly in on the 13th of April. Just trying to get some of my ducks to fall in.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #4 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 12:19 pm

If you need some help, I have plenty of tools and a lift. Come on over.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 12:49 pm Thread Starter

I'd definitely like to check out your lift, Tony. I have NOT forgotten your previous message about m/c lifts.

I'm setup fairly well w/ hand tools- enough to tear up something in a heartbeat.
You know what they say, if you can't fix it, then screw it up so nobody else can either.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #6 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

I suppose if nothing pops up, I could get some of that blueing compound and apply it to the feet of the rack. Then I'd just have to have a pretty good idea where to set it on the lid.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #7 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Once you get the holes drilled....

Seems like I noticed a while back, on a site that sold the racks, might be Honda, they also had extra wide washers with what seemed to be rubber grommets to share the load and provide an extra cushion.

I'll bet that there is some information on this site too. I'm sure a few others have done the same.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Once you get the holes drilled....

Seems like I noticed a while back, on a site that sold the racks, might be Honda, they also had extra wide washers with what seemed to be rubber grommets to share the load and provide an extra cushion.

I'll bet that there is some information on this site too. I'm sure a few others have done the same.
Make your own template.
Dan is right at least that where I saw it.
I own an '85 wing with hairline cracks in the trunk and was seeking a solution to the problem when I ran over this fix. If it is OK with our forum rules I would extend this address. I have not tried this but process seems to be what you are looking for. Hope this makes it easy to transfer over to the LT.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=690

ride safe
post #9 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

I don't know why I don't think of the obvious.
I remind myself of my co-workers, who I'm always suggesting not to over analyze things when troubleshooting.

Making a template is easy enough, and the link showed a simple idea of laying down painter's tape and then tracing around the mounts/feet. I'm not sure how well that would work on the LT's rack, being that it's so short, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I guess I'm just thinking of past similar jobs, where it seemed like I could screw it up by being off just 1/16 of an inch with only one drilled hole.

Perhaps it's not so critical in this instance.

BTW, I have all the related mounting hardware that's similar to what was mentioned in previous post. BMW definitely knows how to engineer the piss out of things.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #10 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 3:35 pm

I bought a used OEM rack a few years ago and mounted it on my "00 LT. I would have liked to have a template to use for locating the holes to be drilled in the top case lid but was unable to come up with one.

I did however devise a method that worked pretty well. I took measurements from a friend's LT to determine where the rack should end up but was still struggling with where to locate the bolt and wiring harness holes. It was harder to measure exactly where they should be located under the base pads of the rack.

That same friend owns a machine shop and when I showed him my problem he provided me four screws with the proper threads that have no head but are tapered to a point on one end. I was able to screw them into the holes of the base pads with the point of the screws protruding slightly and set the rack on the lid at the measured location and let the points of the screws mark the spots for drilling. I had put some masking tape strategically on the lid for protection before marking the spots and left it there through the drilling process.

You have to remove the inner liner of the top case and drill through the outer layer only. The wiring harness is between the layers for an easy plug and play.

My outcome was excellent. I hope yours is too whether you use this method or come up with another way to get it done.

Tips

BMW K1200LT - 2005

post #11 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
I don't know why I don't think of the obvious.
I remind myself of my co-workers, who I'm always suggesting not to over analyze things when troubleshooting.

Making a template is easy enough, and the link showed a simple idea of laying down painter's tape and then tracing around the mounts/feet. I'm not sure how well that would work on the LT's rack, being that it's so short, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

I guess I'm just thinking of past similar jobs, where it seemed like I could screw it up by being off just 1/16 of an inch with only one drilled hole.

BTW, I have all the related mounting hardware that's similar to what was mentioned in previous post. BMW definitely knows how to engineer the piss out of things.
I know military men have no use for lipstick
But in this instant it should be perfect.
Blue masking tape ---check
Rack and hardware ---check
Red lipstick --- ok check
Saturate end of legs with the red stuff then clean off excess and with a steady hand place rack where you want it. A few dry runs should help your accuracy in location. Two more things would help seeing a naked trunk with the rack removed and knowing the size/angle of screw. The washer or 'O' ring gasket should give it a professional finish. Pictures throughout the process should not hurt. Purely for reference.
ride safe
post #12 of 17 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for reminding me about the need to remove the inner liner.

Bill, your lipstick idea is a good one.
I'm sure my wife has some lying around, and it would be cheaper and easier than running around trying to find blueing compound.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #13 of 17 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 6:44 am

Man, you guys are working WAY too hard!

Buy 2 white china marking pencils (I wonder if they are made in China?) at your local hardware store for a buck each. Cut them in half, sharpen 4 ends, screw the blunt ends into the holes of the base pads. They're usually too thick to fit in a standard pencil sharpener, but a little quick whittling with a fresh utility knife blade will work just fine.

Drill a pilot hole through the white spots left behind. Finish with the correct diameter drill.

Careful here though, you'll only be accurate to 1/32 of an inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	china marking pencil.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	37821  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 17 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 7:10 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

Buy 2 white china marking pencils (I wonder if they are made in China?) at your local hardware store for a buck each. Cut them in half, sharpen 4 ends, screw the blunt ends into the holes of the base pads. They're usually too thick to fit in a standard pencil sharpener, but a little quick whittling with a fresh utility knife blade will work just fine.

Drill a pilot hole through the white spots left behind. Finish with the correct diameter drill.

Okay Ron. Another good idea. I refer to these as grease pencils.

Jeff

08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #15 of 17 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 12:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

Ghetto Engineering strikes again! Hoo-Yah!

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

post #16 of 17 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 2:02 pm

Garage

Whether ghetto mod or grease pencils
The goal is getting the job done. Improvisation pass it on.
ride safe
post #17 of 17 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 9:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Whether ghetto mod or grease pencils
The goal is getting the job done. Improvisation pass it on.
ride safe
That was my point, egg-zachery......

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in