BMW Newbie and hopefully a new bike - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

BMW Newbie and hopefully a new bike

Hi all,

I'm new to the BMWs in general. I have a 92 Goldwing I'm shipping to Europe for a 1 month trip and would like a new bike to replace it. I've always liked the BMWs and really like the K1200LT. I test drove one by me this week and it feels 200 lbs lighter than my Wing, so nimble!

I am looking at a few 2000s. Ranging from 500 (yes 500) miles to 85,000 miles. I'm concerned about the low mileage one because of lack of use. They took it to the dealer to bring it back to life...new battery, new fuel pump, rebuilt clutch too. Some stuff just to get it going set them back $3,000! I thought I smelled antifreeze slightly twice during the ride. I plan to take it into the dealership for a pre-purchase inspection, but is there anything else I should be aware of? Are there any major issues with these bikes that I should know of? I have an 85 VW van, so I know that age can affect parts (rubber parts) just as much as mileage.

There is another I'm looking at with about 45K on it. Just trying to compare different bikes.

Thanks everyone!
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 8:54 am

Re: BMW Newbie and hopefully a new bike

my 05 had been sitting for two years when I bought it and shortly after i started riding it on a regular basis the rear main seal started leaking so I had that and the clutch replaced, which was not cheap. Did they replace any seal when they did the clutch? If so then I would feel better about it.
post #3 of 4 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:54 am

I wouldn't buy an unridden (500 miles) older bike unless I bought it at a discount. I'd much rather have a lightly ridden (2-5k per year) one. Too many issues sitting for that long. I sold my 89 goldwing to buy my 2006 LT, it may feel ligher at speed but it's definitely not lighter at low speeds. Great bike though, but my goldwing was less of a handful in parking lots. It was a boat in the twisties though and never liked going over 65 MPG.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 1:48 pm

I would just add that the smell of anti-freeze is likely not something to be concerned about. I, and others, have reported getting that smell after changing out the fluid. Doesn't last long.
Like Foiler said, check to see that seals and/or slave was changed when the clutch was done. Having said that, I wonder why, at 500 miles, the clutch was replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in