Flushing clutch fluid. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 4:52 am Thread Starter

Flushing clutch fluid.

Hi

Any tips to flush the clutch hydraulic fluid on a -04 K12LT.

Sven-Erik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 1:04 pm

Re: Flushing clutch fluid.

Make sure you cover the handlebars and stingray with plastic and cover with an old towel or similar. The plastic protects the paint from the nasty brake fluid, and the fabric absorbs any spills and stops them from running.

Once you have the handlebar reservoir open, drop a 1x1-ish piece of plastic in there to cover the bottom hole and block the geyser effect as you pump the clutch lever to flush. I use a piece cut from an empty plastic oil bottle. I also bend a tab in one end to make it easier to grab when done.

I removed the grub and replaced it with a speed bleeder. Now, I simply hook up a tube to an empty IV bag and keep topping off the upper reservoir as I pump the new fluid in and the old fluid out. When the fluid going into the bag is clean, I pump a few more times for good measure, top off the reservoir to the proper place, and button everything up. With the speed bleeder, it is a simple one-man task that takes under 15 minutes, much of which is spent prepping and protecting the bike.

There are others who do not feel the need for a SpeedBleeder, and they are just as right as those of us who see benefit in installing one. Whatever works best for you is what you should do.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 2:52 pm

Dep: I've heard of the Speed Bleeders before, and really haven't paid much attention to them. I just took a look at the website. Assuming that they do even most of what's claimed, the question is: Why isn't everyone using them?? In your experience, do they have any downside? I mean, for $7 (or $15 for stainless) they seem like a no-brainer.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 6:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There a few methods to bleed brakes, speedbleeders are just one. If you have a helper, loosen tighten..use a IV bag, use suction. etc

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I love the speed bleeder bag and hose deal for $6.00. If you attach the hose and elevate the bag there is no way an air bubble can go down the hose. I just open the bleeder nipple and pump away. When the fluid goes clean I stop and close the nipple, lower the bag and remove the hose. It is a one man operation.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #6 of 10 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwing
Dep: I've heard of the Speed Bleeders before, and really haven't paid much attention to them. I just took a look at the website. Assuming that they do even most of what's claimed, the question is: Why isn't everyone using them?? In your experience, do they have any downside? I mean, for $7 (or $15 for stainless) they seem like a no-brainer.
No downside as far as I can see. I use them on caliper and clutch bleed, but not on the ABS pump. I like 'em because I can do the bleed solo with the speed bleeders.

More than one way to skin a cat, though. This has become MY personal favorite, though.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #7 of 10 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 3:32 pm

I guess that there might be one teensy downside. From a post a few years ago:

"Speedbleeders won't work at all if you get a lot of air in the lines so they are most certainly not useful or desirable in that case. The reason they won't work is that air in the line compresses without opening the check valve in the Speedbleeder. If you get a lot of air in the lines on something that has Speedbleeders, you will have to essentially remove them to get fluid down to the bleeder, then put them back on and bleed."

OK. I get the theory. But, I suppose that, if you have that much air in the lines, you have a lot more to worry about than a simple brake bleed.....

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #8 of 10 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 7:06 am

When you bleed clutch or front brake, after moving handlebar either full right or left, do you loosen reservoir to level position and finish topping off? Is there another way as to not spill and get correct fluid level?

Thanks
post #9 of 10 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 7:23 am

I've never loosened the reservoir to get it level. I just turn the handlebar fully right or fully left and fill the reservoir as high as it will go without spilling. Others may have a different opinion, but this procedure seems to work for me.

I've done a number of clutch bleeds without a speed bleeder, and I can verify that it is an absolute mess. I've yet to find a normal bleeder that fits in place of the grub screw, so every time I have to resort to pushing on the spring-loaded ball with a screwdriver to release pressure. The result is brake fluid everywhere. Sounds like the speed bleeder really cleans up this task, will have to get one!

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #10 of 10 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

And the manual says.... I have done it both ways and even if you do rotate the reservoir like the manual says it is still not exactly level. Pick your poison.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in