Rod Serling Gas Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 6:08 pm Thread Starter

Rod Serling Gas Leak

I understand that the plastic QD's leak, mine are metal, O rings leak, sure. Ok lets do it by the numbers. First it was a cold day Sunday before last for South FL (high 60's low 70's), I know boohoo. I went down the road and smelled gas ok I was by a land fill so did not think a lot of it until I stopped at a light and the man in the car next to me said is that gas leaking from your bike; it was. I made a U turn at the light and headed for the barn. Got into the garage put the bike on the stand no leak tank was just above half I had lost a slight amount. My right pant leg and my boot wreaked of gas,

Now it gets stranger as one mechanic told me if he could not find a leak directly I could be into massive labor charges. Yesterday I drained what I could from the tank turned the bike over and saw a small amount of leakage coming off the area of the oil filter. Therefore, I started to disassemble to get to the tank and remove it. My neighbor told me to assemble the bike enough to make it ridable, enough to check it out. I added one more gallon of gas which brought it to approximately 3/4 of a tank. I took the bike out for a several mile run and lo and behold it did not leak! Am I crazy? Any ideas out there?????

Thanks for your help,
Helmutdryer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 6:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Rod Serling Gas Leak

Could be one of the hoses has sprung a leak. May be worth while to replace the o-rings on the disconnects and see what happens. Make sure you lube them with some oil first, don't snap them together dry.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 7:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a QD on my RT (same ones as the LT uses) leak intermittently. The hose clamp was loose which allowed the hose to slide towards the QD body. It would leak like a sieve until it pressurized and pushed the hose end back towards the barb end on the QD. It would then seal up and be fine. Try releasing the QDs and then put some torque on the QDs while holding the hose stationary. If you can spin one of them easily, there's your problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 10:54 pm

You may want to consider using a Phenyl-methyl silicone lubricant designed for O - ring assembly like:

http://www.amazon.com/CORNING-MOLYKO...words=molykote

By no means inexpensive, but most petroleum based lubricants have been shown to cause premature failure of all synthetic rubber O-rings when used as an assembly aid. A small tube will last a lifetime. A little dab will do 'ya.

It makes the rings swell slightly when installed.

It's also excellent to use around the home for packing assemblies on kitchen faucets, etc.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 8 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 9:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks all for the help. How many quick disconnects are there in an LT? Is the pic in the
Clymer manual pg 238 more schematic or does ir show a second set under the tank?
My QDs appear to be dry under the fuel pump cover. Again thanks.
post #6 of 8 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 6:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The ones on the top of that diagram ARE the ones under the tank. The lower part is the fuel rail with hose clamps.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 8 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:59 pm Thread Starter

Thank you. Then the pic is schematic. Schazam, the leak showed up lower hose toward the front of bike at the clamp to the quick disconnect. It looks like someone had worked it over it is the pinch style. I will replace the rings and keep some clamps with me I prefer the adjustable if possible.

Thanks again 73 Jerry
post #8 of 8 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 6:32 am

I had a small fuel leak when cold that would go away after it warmed up. It was the hose connection to the fuel rail. I didn't get the clamp tight enough. It was a booger to find. It would warm up and go away quickly. I drilled a small hole in the fan shroud around the fan and ran a long screw driver through the hole to get to the clamp without removing anything but the side panel...........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in