Rear Shock Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Rear Shock Questions

Hey Guys,

I'm prepping for the DIY part of maintenance on my 2005 LT. I think my suspension may need to be replaced (45,000 miles) and was looking at the Clymer manual to work out how much of the work I can do myself, and how much I should have the local BMW shop undertake. I'm pretty good with tools - I've got a chainsaw, a broom and a hammer.

Anyhow, the bike does not ride at all well. It's either too soft and bottoms when my wife and I are aboard, or is too hard and bounces over every pebble. Can't get the thing adjusted right.

The photos of the rear shock in Clymer show two adjustment points: The remote adjuster knob that I am continuously fiddling with, and a ring-type rebound adjuster on the bottom of the shock. I did not know that the LT had a rebound adjuster on the rear shock. I even took a look at a used one on the Beemer Boneyard website and it didn't appear to have a rebound adjuster.

What am I overlooking here? Is there an adjuster or not?

I'm not keen on spending $2K on new suspenders (plus installation, probably) so if there is something I'm overlooking that might be a big help budget-wise.

Thanks.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 6:02 pm

Re: Rear Shock Questions

Just a suggestion, might try doing a search for Hyperpro springs. They improved my LT's ride, etc. Only one preload adjuster I know of on 2001.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 6:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Often the oil leaks out and you loose the ability to fully preload the spring. That is your only adjustment on the stock 05 shock. Refilling the oil is pretty simple and a post covering this should appear at the bottom of this list(in similar threads). It has been covered many times so you should be able to find the instructions.To remove he shock you have to pull some tupperware off then the lower and upper bolts.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I checked the fluid level in the preload reservoir and it's topped up. Will replacing the spring improve the ride quality with the original shock remaining in place? How is it compressed for installation?

Ditto the front suspension.

Inside my 60 year old body is a 35 year old brain wondering what the hell happened.
2005 K1200LT
2005 Suzuki Burgman
BMWMOA #130574
post #5 of 13 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 6:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There are a few here that have done just the hyperpro spings on the stock shocks. If you go that route you will need some one with some sort of spring compressor to cghange them out.

I went for a set of Ohlins myself at around 30 K and they have been rebuild once so far at 60K. Been happy with them.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 9:52 am

Shocks are one of those items that you never realized how bad they were until you replaced them,
if you think they need to be replaced they probably do, or you need to go on a diet, I know I do.
another vote for Ohlins here.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #7 of 13 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 10:40 am

I just did the Hyperpro springs on my stock shock at 30000 m and it is a world of difference. I can only imagine how nice the Ohlins must be....
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H
Thanks. I checked the fluid level in the preload reservoir and it's topped up. Will replacing the spring improve the ride quality with the original shock remaining in place? How is it compressed for installation?

Ditto the front suspension.
When you checked the fluid level in the reservoir, did you back the adjuster ALL of the way out and then push the plunger in with the long end of a hex wrench or similar tool. When I did that the first time, it went back quite a bit and after the refill the difference in ride was amazing. Adding the HyperPro springs was another quantum leap forward.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 13 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Hiya Mike,

Another solution is to have your OEM shock rebuilt by your local suspension dude. He would replace the spring with your choice of brands during the process. Not an easy job to release the spring!! Mine cost $400 about 4 years ago.

I have done this once, then the shock went again! Replaced both front and rear with Wilber shocks. Absolutely transformed the bike - stopped the bottoming, wallowing in corners and gives boosts your confidence in the overall handling of the bike. Expensive at $2000 +, but was worth it when I did an around Australia tour of 18,000k's.

Barry - Australia
post #10 of 13 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 6:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For about $250 you can replace stock springs on your shocks.
Hyperpro, everybody that has tried them raves about them.

I have a set hanging up that I will loan you to try. You can either mail them back
Or send yours with new springs.

Dan
post #11 of 13 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 8:33 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

I went with the Wilbers Shocks and never looked back. It was better than new.

Go Here and have a set custom made for your bike... beemershop

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #12 of 13 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 6:24 am

Mike,

Where in New Berlin do you live ?

Les
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 7:24 am

Here's a link to a post on topping off the fluid, very simple:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...shock+adjuster

What has happened is that the hose has increased slightly in diameter and also absorbed fluid over time, it doesn't usually leak out or evaporate. I recommend doing this before you pop for springs/new shocks since it will help a lot, but isn't a cure for the lightly sprung LT.

Other budget shock alternatives:

1. You may want to consider finding some OEM take offs and then adding the Hyperpros, but they are very scarce these days, and *gently used* ones really aren't an option.

2. You can always go with a completely new high end shock for the front, and just re-spring the rear.

You can also save some time when you remove the rear shock by simply taking off a few of the tupperware screws and shoving some tennis balls in there to hold the panel out while you insert a socket wrench with a long handle. Do it on a warm day or with heat to make the tupperware more flexible. It's a 10 minute job.

If you pull too hard on the tupperware you could possibly snap it, so caveat emptor.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in