My New Studded Mud & Snow Tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 12:01 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

My New Studded Mud & Snow Tires

I got my Continental TKC 80 tires mounted & installed 92 carbide ice studs yesterday. The front tire is weight rated for the LT but the rear is not. I used a 150 wide rear tire for a little extra swingarm clearance. The speed rating is Q & because I will not be riding over 70mph I will be well within the speed rating.

I'm not concerned with the rear tire weight rating because I will not be riding hard in the corners & I'll keep the LT as light as possible.

I put about 200 miles on the tires today. While riding home from our club breakfast I did about 30 minutes of off road riding in the mud & what a blast that was. The bike handled good up to about 65 mph on the paved roads. I'll be adding another 100 studs soon.

So kiss my ass black ice & snow. I have had enough of both this year in the early morning hours.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Tires 004.JPG
Views:	613
Size:	842.9 KB
ID:	37738   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Tires 002.JPG
Views:	1379
Size:	812.1 KB
ID:	37739   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Tires 005.JPG
Views:	852
Size:	859.8 KB
ID:	37740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Tires 006.JPG
Views:	698
Size:	874.8 KB
ID:	37741   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Tires 008.JPG
Views:	759
Size:	838.1 KB
ID:	37742  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Tires 007.JPG
Views:	664
Size:	871.0 KB
ID:	37743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snow Tires 012.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	802.8 KB
ID:	37744  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Re: My New Studded Mud & Snow Tires

far braver than me but you have many many more miles on the lt than me

i would never even try it(lol) enjoy ride safe
post #3 of 41 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 12:30 pm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 41 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Garage

Dave you missed it.
Had this post been a few days earlier I would have sponsored an all expense trip for you and the LT to wallow around in some real snow 5". Plus the added benefit of not suffering through a winter hose down but only needed a warm garage and its back to new/clean. You got BRASS . . .
ride safe
post #5 of 41 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller

Yeh, that pretty much sums up my feelings, too.

Very impressive, Dave. You are the first person I've heard of to put either - let alone BOTH - knobbies and studs on an LT.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 41 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 2:53 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

The down side to this is that after two hours of cleaning the bike it is still dropping mud on the floor. With my new job I get a week off at Thanksgiving & another week off at Christmas. I hope next year to ride to the west coast & back in the winter towing my trailer with these tires in the trailer. Short of a blizzard weather should not be a problem.

The studs are self tapping welded carbide made in Switzerland. Lee Wilson helped me install them last night. I had to grind 1.5 mm off the self tapping threads to make sure I didn't install them past the safety margin. Lee also made sure that they were installed 3 mm or less above the rubber. 3 mm is the max you want when riding on paved roads.

With Lee's help it went fairly quick. He shined the light & measured while I installed the studs. I have two LT's so my other bike is ready to ride all winter long with LT rated tires.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 41 Old Feb 24th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman
The down side to this is that after two hours of cleaning the bike it is still dropping mud on the floor. With my new job I get a week off at Thanksgiving & another week off at Christmas. I hope next year to ride to the west coast & back in the winter towing my trailer with these tires in the trailer. Short of a blizzard weather should not be a problem.

The studs are self tapping welded carbide made in Switzerland. Lee Wilson helped me install them last night. I had to grind 1.5 mm off the self tapping threads to make sure I didn't install them past the safety margin. Lee also made sure that they were installed 3 mm or less above the rubber. 3 mm is the max you want when riding on paved roads.

With Lee's help it went fairly quick. He shined the light & measured while I installed the studs. I have two LT's so my other bike is ready to ride all winter long with LT rated tires.

Dave, you are the man! Somewhat insane, but my kind of crazy.You got the huevos! I love it. K1200LTGS!

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #8 of 41 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 11:03 am

I love it! Any video?
post #9 of 41 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 11:47 am

I like the look of the rear drive stay arm. What's the source for that?
post #10 of 41 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 12:57 pm

post #11 of 41 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 7:45 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by amindtat
I like the look of the rear drive stay arm. What's the source for that?
The FD reaction link came with the bike & I don't know who makes it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 41 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 1:37 pm

Garage

Quote:
The FD reaction link came with the bike & I don't know who makes it.
Another day for tire test.
I am having the perfect day if you want to push the envelope with those tires. We have rain sleet and snow. Again no need to mess up the carpet after the ride just drip dry. My knowledge of the earlier models is limited so I thought that was normal. The holes are filled in on mine.
ride safe
post #13 of 41 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 6:31 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiler
I love it! Any video?
I don't have a video camera.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 41 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 6:38 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Another day for tire test.
I am having the perfect day if you want to push the envelope with those tires. We have rain sleet and snow. Again no need to mess up the carpet after the ride just drip dry. My knowledge of the earlier models is limited so I thought that was normal. The holes are filled in on mine.
ride safe
It was 31 degrees this morning with rain riding to work. Tomorrow morning the roads will have some ice left over from the all day long rain. At least now I don't have to borrow my wife's car anymore. Without these tires she would have been home two days in a row with no vehicle.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #15 of 41 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 7:19 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I checked the tire temps. after my 16 mile ride home yesterday. The air temp was 42 degrees. The center of the front tire was 74 degrees & the sidewall was 55 degrees. The rear tire in the center was 80 degrees & the sidewall was 74 degrees.

Some of the pic's I've seen of GS bikes loaded for Alaska with spare tires, fuel, tool kits & luggage makes me think that I can't be too far off weight wise on my LT with empty side cases & the top case removed.

It definitely is less stable riding with these tires but the GS riders I talked to told me there bikes felt the same way with the TKC 80's.

Overall so far I'm happy with the tire & stud combo. The ride to work this morning on wet roads below freezing was a lot less intense. Right now I'm leaving for work at 4:45 am & the traffic is low. In freezing conditions I try to judge the roads for icing by looking at the spray coming off other vehicle's tires in front of me. Today only one car passed me on the way to work just before I got off the interstate. Until then all I saw was a shinny road at 65 mph.

The next test is to start creeping up on the stud count for each tire. I need to find out what I'm comfortable with on dry pavement. I should be good & ready for next winter.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #16 of 41 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Dave, I take it you had to leave the front fender off for the tire to fit?

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #17 of 41 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 2:36 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerj
Dave, I take it you had to leave the front fender off for the tire to fit?
The fender was out getting painted. I put it on last night.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 41 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 7:49 am

Wow. I have ridden every day this year so far, except one. We had 4 inches of snow and some ice the following morning. On the way to work, I hit a spot of ice that was 15 feet or so wide. My Lt pitched me off the seat and alllllmost over the bars. (40 weight oil in damper saved me). I needed a change of clean clothes after that.
You are the MAN ! Interesting to say the least. I would NEVER have thought anyone would try studs on an LT.
Side note: my BT 020 'Stones look cupped enough to pass for knobbies.........
post #19 of 41 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
It was 31 degrees this morning with rain riding to work. Tomorrow morning the roads will have some ice left over from the all day long rain. At least now I don't have to borrow my wife's car anymore. Without these tires she would have been home two days in a row with no vehicle.
Saddleman is your thermometer universal
I visit family in the Charlotte area and this past Christmas I was noticing that your 50's feel like 60's. So I wonder if your instrument is calibrated against the national thermometer. My trip to the BRP to see the fall colors left Chicago with a snow flake on the dash and it stayed there almost to Indianapolis road was clear and dry but fingertips were still crying out for double/double warmth. I admire your drive . . . ride.
ride safe
post #20 of 41 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 8:27 pm

I would love to see the looks on peoples faces if you entered an Enduro and pulled up to the start with the LTGS. When I use to ride Enduros thirty years ago Sandy Lane Enduro in NJ several times was so easy that a couple guys road their street bikes in it. Of course they got the inside tip that the run would be a cake walk.
I got to take my hat off to you and say U Da Man!
post #21 of 41 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 11:09 am

Dave,
When I first started reading your post I thought for sure you must live in Canada, Alaska, or somewhere in northern Europe. When I looked over and saw NC I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't have thought NC weather would have you going to such extremes. As said by other, you are da man! I could never dream of riding my LT in such conditions on purpose. Heck, I don't even ride my KLR's inthis kind of weather on purpose

Ride Safely,
Steve

'09 K1200LT "Clyde"
'03 K1200LT (totaled out 3-16-11) "The Beast"
'97 K1100LT (104,000) "Red Ryder" (Sold Feb 2013)
'09 KLR 650 "Killer"
'05 KLR 250 "Lil' Killer"
'09 Kymco People 200 S "Wife's Trainer"
'09 Kymco xCiting 500i "Wife's next step"

It is amazing what a little "throttle therapy" will do for you.
post #22 of 41 Old Feb 28th, 2013, 4:54 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12smitty
Dave,
When I first started reading your post I thought for sure you must live in Canada, Alaska, or somewhere in northern Europe. When I looked over and saw NC I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't have thought NC weather would have you going to such extremes. As said by other, you are da man! I could never dream of riding my LT in such conditions on purpose. Heck, I don't even ride my KLR's inthis kind of weather on purpose
We don't get much snow but we get a fair amount of black ice in the early mornings. Last year I rode everyday but one. So far I have missed one day of riding this year because of a ice storm. My plan is to ride everyday next year regardless of the weather. Riding on ice & snow is fun if your prepared for it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #23 of 41 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 10:22 am

Quote:
We don't get much snow but we get a fair amount of black ice in the early mornings. Last year I rode everyday but one. So far I have missed one day of riding this year because of a ice storm. My plan is to ride everyday next year regardless of the weather. Riding on ice & snow is unnecessary & dangerous even if your prepared for it.
Fixed it for you.

Just keeping it real here. It's nice people are supportive but this is a bad idea.

Last edited by eyesurgeon; Mar 1st, 2013 at 10:34 am.
post #24 of 41 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 10:52 am

Love it Dave!!!

Me thinks eyesurgeon is a wuss. There! I said it. Risk management my arse!

- Joe
post #25 of 41 Old Mar 1st, 2013, 6:29 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesurgeon
Fixed it for you.

Just keeping it real here. It's nice people are supportive but this is a bad idea.
Well Rod if and when the Eat My Shorts ( EMS ) guys find me somewhere in a ditch, plastered up against a tree or run over by another vehicle when they look in through my visor I'll still have a grin from ear to ear. It's what I like to do & that's what is important.

I've raced in the ocean at 160 mph, raced through the desert's over 130 mph, rode motorcycles over 110 mph in the hard rain for miles & miles, driven car's over 200 mph. How about snowmobile's on ice over 120 mph or water skiing over 65 mph. I like adventure & don't want to die of old age taking nap's every afternoon in a Lazy-Boy.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #26 of 41 Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 5:02 am

Hope that wasn't all in the one direction, 'cause man, you'd be a long way from home. Don't reckon anyone in Australya's ever done that,.........., but we're a tame bunch down here.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #27 of 41 Old Mar 3rd, 2013, 6:21 pm

How far do you travel to work each day. I am going to assume that you ride your 04 when the roads are good. But either way you're far ahead of us up north.

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #28 of 41 Old Mar 4th, 2013, 2:14 am Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok
How far do you travel to work each day. I am going to assume that you ride your 04 when the roads are good. But either way you're far ahead of us up north.
My new job is only 16 miles each way. It looks like the 04 for Mon. & Tue. & back on the 2000 on Wed. or Thurs. I ran into a unexpected snow storm in SC early Sat. morning. It snowed about two inches in couple of hours. The snow didn't stick on the interstate but it did on the off ramps & side roads. The bike felt fine with no slippage at all.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #29 of 41 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 3:59 pm

As Barney Fife used to say, "He's a nut!"
I love it. If I was a younger man, I might consider something like that, but I don't live
quite as close to the edge as I used too. Mainly because I don't heal up as quickly these days.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #30 of 41 Old Mar 6th, 2013, 9:21 pm

That's our Saddleman. David T. Bass! Ernest T.'s non-rock-chunking brother. Still a nut, though! Wait til you see him !!!!

Please! Whatever you do, don't call him a Creatchster! And he ain't no sow's ear neither!

Lee
Y2K K1200 LT Canyon Red - Torn apart by a Bimmer 11-10-10. Sold to Saddleman to be reanimated.
2005 K1200 LT Ocean Blue
ATGATT
CCR 2009, CCR 2010, CCR 2012
IBA #39250
SS1000 - September 2009
BB1500 - September 2009
BMW MOA #167909
post #31 of 41 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 9:18 am

Dave, You're Crazy...

Take it from another crazy man...

I remember when we were kids we'd put studded tires on the cars in winter...

I also remember how much easier it was to break those tires loose on dry pavement...

We left chicken scratch all over the school parking lot...

Good luck... Don't wreck...Have fun !

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #32 of 41 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 8:44 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I rode yesterday in high gusty cross winds. Definitely not recommended with these tires. I was only comfortable riding below 50 mph. I did stay on the Interstate riding 65 mph going to work but it was a hand full for 10 miles. I stayed off the Interstate after work riding at 45 mph or less & it handled just like normal with the high wind gust's at the lower speeds.

Overall I'm happy with my decision to try this combo. I feel much better riding to work on the mornings with questionable road conditions. I do have routes I can ride that keep me off the Interstates.

So far with the next 100 ice studs coming I'll have about $460 in the tires & studs. I plan on storing the tires filled with filtered nitrogen in heavy black plastic bags when not in use. Keeping them away from any UV light they should be good for at least 5 plus years.

In the mean time the search continues for a weight rated reinforced sidewall rear knobby tire. A retread might be the only option.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #33 of 41 Old Mar 7th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Garage

What a combination.
A plow-horse and a thoroughbred, one for work one for play. What are the advantages of nitrogen as oppose to regular air or is that just for storage. How is the ride comfort on the studs any shock adjustment even without the top case. My guess is they should be seeing storage pretty soon.
ride safe
post #34 of 41 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 9:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
What a combination.
A plow-horse and a thoroughbred, one for work one for play. What are the advantages of nitrogen as oppose to regular air or is that just for storage. How is the ride comfort on the studs any shock adjustment even without the top case. My guess is they should be seeing storage pretty soon.
ride safe
Nitrogen is usually drier, will not leak out as much as air and at high temp does not expand as much. Since Dave is trying to make the tires last longer it, the nitorgen will help. Although I think keeping them from UV will help more, nitorgen won't hurt.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #35 of 41 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 7:01 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
Nitrogen is usually drier, will not leak out as much as air and at high temp does not expand as much. Since Dave is trying to make the tires last longer it, the nitorgen will help. Although I think keeping them from UV will help more, nitorgen won't hurt.
Thanks for the answer.
A friend in TX told me he uses nitrogen in his tires because it was always getting low with regular air. Two differences, one was the temperature factor which I did not think Saddleman had to deal with and the other was size of the bike (cruiser) as compared with the LT. I have a GW on its CS 6 years now and the tires are reasonably hard not in riding condition and probably dry rot but hard.
ride safe
post #36 of 41 Old Mar 8th, 2013, 8:27 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15
You are right John, Plus I get the Nitrogen for free.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #37 of 41 Old Mar 9th, 2013, 1:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
You are right John, Plus I get the Nitrogen for free.
I get mine at Costco.... of course only in the pickup, and I had to buy tires. Free is better

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #38 of 41 Old Dec 13th, 2013, 10:03 am

Saddleman, thanks for your post. I sent you a PM.

Canadian FJR
post #39 of 41 Old Dec 13th, 2013, 11:13 am

Gentlemen, I think we are in the presents of a new Manly-Man.

Wow. Studded knobby tires on an LT. Way to go SaddleMan, I'm going to have to go out in the other shop and get out the KLR688 and do a ride this afternoon in your name. No mud or snow here but nice hard packed Georgia Red Clay roads.

Merry Christmas to you up there in NC

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #40 of 41 Old Dec 13th, 2013, 3:04 pm

for some reason, I was expecting to see this:

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #41 of 41 Old Dec 14th, 2013, 3:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Well Rod if and when the Eat My Shorts ( EMS ) guys find me somewhere in a ditch, plastered up against a tree or run over by another vehicle when they look in through my visor I'll still have a grin from ear to ear. It's what I like to do & that's what is important.

I've raced in the ocean at 160 mph, raced through the desert's over 130 mph, rode motorcycles over 110 mph in the hard rain for miles & miles, driven car's over 200 mph. How about snowmobile's on ice over 120 mph or water skiing over 65 mph. I like adventure & don't want to die of old age taking nap's every afternoon in a Lazy-Boy.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

Hunter S. Thompson

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in