BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Tip over cut off switch

5K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  dwilson1191 
#1 ·
A GW rider told me on models going way back there is a tip over switch that cuts the ignition off when the bike gets over so far.

Just wondered if this application has been discussed for a LT. I'm sure I could figure something out but I thought I would check here first.

Don't ask why I want to know. Thanks.

#4 ·
I know my yamaha XS11 had one in 78. It also had a switch that if the low beam headlight bulb burned out it would automatically switch to the high beam.

#5 ·
I don't know about older GW's (never laid it over) but my 01 Valkyrie has one. So yes they are infact real. If you are interested I could find the wiring diagram for you and send it via email..I still have no idea on how to post a pic here.

#8 ·
Nope, no tip over switch on LT's that I know of. However, owned a 1990 GW and it did have one. It was effectively a mercury switch kind of like what's in the older home thermostats. When the bike exceeded an unnatural angle from the vertical the switch would open the ignition circuit and the engine would shut off. Problem was that it was too sensitive and every time I rode over a big bump or rough railroad track the engine would die! I put a jumper around the switch on my bike to solve the problem. Later on Honda had a recall to replace the switch.

#11 ·
Well, I learn something new every day here about my 03 LT. The one time I slowly dropped mine on its left side at a red light, the engine was dead before it hit the ground. So I thought it had a tip over switch.

I sure do wish the radio would shut off after being dropped. I mean it’s embarrassing enough to drop the darn thing, then to add insult to injury the radio just keeps on playing like nothing happened. They sure do look funny lying on their side with the radio still on. :)

#13 · (Edited)
Our aircraft mechanic has a 90"s something GW and a '06 GW. He said both bikes have the OEM tip over switch. US bikes if that makes a difference.

In my original post I was just wondering if anyone had added a tip over switch to the LT. From the posts so far it sounds like I'll have to design my own. Probably get the switch from Honda and see how they put it on.

I will share the results for those who might be interested. I was hoping someone had already covered this ground because the testing might be a little problem.

The LT seems like a good candidate for a tip over switch. Just saying. ;)

Thanks

#14 ·
The LT doesn't even quit running when the engine cover has a gaping hole, the engine oil is on the pavement, and the radiator doesn't keep all the fluid inside. Sadly, this happened to mine in Nov. 2010. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.