Page, AZ or thereabouts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Page, AZ or thereabouts

Did anyone pay attention to US89?
Although this news is a couple days old I saw no mention of it on the forum. I was mapping a trip out west and have Horseshoe Bend on my agenda. US 89 is my route after leaving Arches NP, UT and going south via US191 to north eastern AZ then duck up 89 to Page. Bad news the roadway self destruct. Closure time is unknown at this point. That would knock out 3 things in that area I wanted to include. Besides the Horseshoe, Grand Staircase Escalante, and Grand Canyon Park. I will have to make a huge detour and double back which was not part of the plan. Talk to me you Arizonians or anyone else. Maybe I should have posted in camping but needed more exposure.
ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 5:59 pm

Re: Page, AZ or thereabouts

I can't be certain of your route the way you've described it. I just returned from Arizona; Flagstaff to Page on US 89 then over to Kanab and out into Utah; no closures on those roads.

Bruce
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 6:05 pm

This should help you:
http://www.az511.gov/adot/files/traffic/

I didn't see any thing closed in the general area of Flagstaff and The Canyon.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartooth
I can't be certain of your route the way you've described it. I just returned from Arizona; Flagstaff to Page on US 89 then over to Kanab and out into Utah; no closures on those roads.

Bruce
How long ago was trip. This just happened I think Wednesday this week where 89A intersects 89. Notice I am intentionally avoiding the Interstate.
ride safe
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
This should help you:
http://www.az511.gov/adot/files/traffic/

I didn't see any thing closed in the general area of Flagstaff and The Canyon.

Bob
Check this out Bob.
http://www.inquisitr.com/534066/us-8...-page-arizona/

Going to horseshoe bend on the Colorado river.
ride safe
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 6:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:

Bruce
Bruce I just Googled Kanab, UT.
You were already in UT. so you were north and west of Page. Look at the link I sent Bob. When I saw it on the news I could not believe it. Last year I rode Cherohola and they had a slide now I'm planning west and another closure. Wonder if anyone is closer to the scene.
ride safe
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 8:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

We have two roads affected by heavy rains in the Smoky Mountains this year as well. The Cherohala Skyway has a one lane detour so you can still get through but US 441 from Cherokee to Gatlinburg lost 100 yards of road and it will be 6 months before you can go over the mountain again. Stuff happens. Sounds like a great trip as I was in that area a few years ago but didn't get to make that loop due to time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 11:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
We have two roads affected by heavy rains in the Smoky Mountains this year as well. The Cherohala Skyway has a one lane detour so you can still get through but US 441 from Cherokee to Gatlinburg lost 100 yards of road and it will be 6 months before you can go over the mountain again. Stuff happens. Sounds like a great trip as I was in that area a few years ago but didn't get to make that loop due to time.
Yes these are my plans.
7k miles round trip if nothing comes up. My loop has some rough edges but first stop is Eisenhower tunnels outside Denver on I-70 then down the back of UT with stops mentioned. Onto Vegas rest up with family San Diego do the same Bixby Bridge, Golden Gate ,Yosemite much of the coast as I can up to Seattle over top hwy 2 Yellowstone, Tetons, MT Rushmore back home.
Yeah I did see about the Cherohala in another thread and you all have to deal with that for STC. I was there last October enroute to BRP.
ride safe
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 10:11 am

They mentioned a 45 mile detour, but that is going to be 2 hours extra travel time. Probably more when the weather turns warmer and especially on weekends.

If they get that rebuilt and open in a year I'll be amazed...

Check out the video:

http://www.azdot.gov/Index_Docs/Head...dex_022213.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Feb 23rd, 2013 at 10:17 am.
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 4:28 pm

Bill and Ron,

Thanks for the photos, absolutely amazing. I got lucky and passed through on Sunday the 17th. Looks like a very, very long rebuilding time.

Bruce
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 5:30 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Bill and Ron,

Thanks for the photos, absolutely amazing. I got lucky and passed through on Sunday the 17th. Looks like a very, very long rebuilding time.

Bruce
I'd say Scary and Lucky.
I would have doubled back Vegas after hearing the news and put the house down on a blackjack table.

First thing I thought was hope nobody got hurt. I don't know what volume of traffic that road carries but according to Ron is the riding season could be very busy. Also Horseshoe Bend was my interest and I would be coming from the north on 191 thru Bluff, UT so I might be able to squeak by on 98 before getting to 89. I would hate to go that far and not ride to the canyon. If not I would have to stay above the fray and approach Vegas from UT on I-15. Rather than ride back a bus tour might be in order to be ready for the next leg of the trip.

Ron, did someone find Gold in them dar hills. Would I miss much if I left Arches park go back to 70 and 15 to Vegas? I have been that way before by car nothing to see that's why I felt the back road might offer something. Your backyard right and I think you also fly a plane.
ride safe
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 7:27 pm

Would I miss much if I left Arches park go back to 70 and 15 to Vegas? I have been that way before by car nothing to see that's why I felt the back road might offer something. Your backyard right and I think you also fly a plane.
ride safe [/QUOTE]
Yes, You will miss some really scenic riding. 70 and 15 are not meant for motorcycle riding. Go about your plan and take the detours when necessary. I was in the area last August and again in November. Did not see any amount of traffic to worry about. You can easily pass when needed on a bike. Leave the slab for the cars and trucks!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 1:07 pm

Just my two cents worth. Bill, regarding your route, I've been over those roads and......

You stated you'd be at the tunnels. Take my advice and bounce over Loveland Pass. Don't go through the tunnel, you'll be glad you did. That tunnel is for cars and trucks. The pass is for us!! It's OK to go back and forth several times over the pass!! From Arches NP If it were me, I'd take hwy 191 south to 95 to 24 to 12 and to points west. Hyw 191 to 163 to 160 is just not as much fun. Monument Valley is nice views but other than that, I believe to compare northern AZ to southern UT is.... UT wins The big advantage of staying north of Lake Powell is elevation. It's cooler, more vegetation, more to see with quality roads and services. South of Lake Powell is desert and yes, I love the desert! I've spent a lot of time in the desert and riding at elevation, lets just say I'll take the high road!

If you do end up on Hwy89 by Page, Lees Ferry is a good place to camp, good fishing or just jump in the Colorado River in Marble Canyon!! BURR!!!!! Have a great trip
post #14 of 19 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 3:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Now that's just what I was looking for.
Thanks Buck57. Loveland Pass (hwy6) is actually on my list. I wanted to ride through the tunnel east to west exit at Dillon/Silverthorne and return by the pass or vice versa. You see I have a strange intrigue for geography and history, mountains, tunnels and bridges are among them.
When I said I had been on the interstate in UT before it was on my two visits to Vegas. My first was a moving truck pulling a loaded car trailer got to Salina at the end of I-70 and saw a sign no services next 99 miles. In spite of taking it easy going up grade and free wheeling down hill towards the end I just made it to gas.
In the north country I am trying for Beartooth pass. Since I am not getting any younger I am trying to get in as many points of my interest while working in family visits.
ride safe
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 3:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck57
Just my two cents worth. Bill, regarding your route, I've been over those roads and......

You stated you'd be at the tunnels. Take my advice and bounce over Loveland Pass. Don't go through the tunnel, you'll be glad you did. That tunnel is for cars and trucks. The pass is for us!! It's OK to go back and forth several times over the pass!! From Arches NP If it were me, I'd take hwy 191 yes south to 95 to 24 to 12 and to points west. Hyw 191 to 163 yes to 160 is just not as much fun. Monument Valley is nice views but other than that, I believe to compare northern AZ to southern UT is.... UT wins The big advantage of staying north of Lake Powell is elevation. It's cooler, more vegetation, more to see with quality roads and services. South of Lake Powell must see Horseshoe bend is desert and yes, I love the desert! I've spent a lot of time in the desert and riding at elevation, lets just say I'll take the high road!

If you do end up on Hwy89 by Page, Lees Ferry is a good place to camp, good fishing not a fisherman or just jump in the Colorado River in Marble Canyon!! BURR!!!!! Have a great trip
Read my OP again and camping is definitely on the menu. Thanks again.
ride safe
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 5:31 pm

OK!!!! Now were on! On What?

Bill, other adventures.

Nothing better than an adventure! I assume we all agree.

Life is an adventure that our machines take us on. We like that!

Bill, pm me if you want routes I'd take again out west. Not be on them all! But enough to tell ya what I liked!!! I like alot.

Denver to Las Vegas is about 750 miles by maps on interstate. You can do Vegas in weeks and thousands of miles or 1500 miles or, you get the idea. Between Denver and Vegas are natural wonders that I can't see enough of! Not seen them all, I'm working on it. Give a guy a break.

I live in Denver, grew up in SoCal and have the West as a play ground for all my life. Played harder than some, less than others. I'm still playing!
post #17 of 19 Old Feb 26th, 2013, 6:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Beartooth is great but it usually does not open until Memorial Day and it usually closes in mid October. They don't even send the snow plows up there until the first week in May.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #18 of 19 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Beartooth is great but it usually does not open until Memorial Day and it usually closes in mid October. They don't even send the snow plows up there until the first week in May.
Thanks for that info.
Actually I was planning for the 2nd week of June head south first then ride the coast up north and back to home base. Since those plans are not finalized I did not want to be premature about the trip. Once I saw the devastation of US 89 and had selected that route only a week prior I started to inquire. Thought I needed to give a little background with my intentions. Hope they get your road east ready in time. Looks like I might escape winter before Texas panhandle and Oklahoma. They been getting hit hard.
ride safe
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 27th, 2013, 6:43 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yeah I kind of figured that out from your other posts after I posted that. I initially thought you were already out in AZ riding when you dicovered the issue with US 89.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in