Flushing Integral ABS Brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Flushing Integral ABS Brakes

I studied the manual and the excellent write up I found here (author unknown?), and now I am in the process of flushing the brakes. So far I have flushed the front control circuit, which I suspect is for the first time by how dirty the fluid was. For the brake circuits, the procedure calls for use the brake servo motors to pump the fluid while bleeding at the calipers. If possible, I would rather use my hand vacuum pump to vacuum bleed at the calipers since that seems much easier to control. Is there a reason not to do this?

Thanks, Jim

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 10:11 am

Re: Flushing Integral ABS Brakes

I am sure the xperts will chime in but I do not believe you can use the vacuum bleed process with the servo pump.

I found a post that works great for me but not sure if it was ever put in the hall of wisdom. I place the vent lines on the reservoir caps in a bottle of fluid. The vacuum created by running the servo pump draws fresh fluid into the reservoir and keeps them full. For me this was much easier that messing with the vacuum bleed system.

Attached picture does NOT have the tubes connected to the reservoir cap vents. It is just pictoral reference on how it is done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake 4.jpg
Views:	2133
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	37690  

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

Last edited by bigbear; Feb 18th, 2013 at 10:20 am.
post #3 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 11:18 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I don't like vacuum bleeders for a flush as you have no way to seal the bleed nipple and I always see bubbles and that bothers me.

No reason not to use the pumps to flush the fluid. Just hook up the hose and bag (Speedbleeder sells a nice one for $6), elevate the bag and open the bleed port. Keep the reservoir full and fire off the pumps. Stop when the fluid runs clear. Pretty simple.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 8:29 pm Thread Starter

OK then, that's what I'll do. Sorry for all the newbie questions & if I'm annoying everyone.

Jim

Jim
post #5 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 10:11 pm

I did as John said on my '05 and it worked great. You do have to watch carefully though as the pumps move fluid pretty fast (at least on my '05).

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #6 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 11:11 pm

The pump makes the flushing procedure very simple - actually, much easier than standard system. No playing with the lever, no futzing opening and closing the bleeder nipple. Just squeeze brake lever, crack the nipple and watch it flush by itself.

Here is a useful tip I came across recently in a thread on ADVrider:use 3 clear tubes (or 6 tubes) at one time on the modulator, to avoid having to move the drain tube as you move from nipple to nipple while doing the control circuits. That worked very well for me.

I just did my '03 RT (servo), '06 GS (servo) and '09 GS (non-servo) and it took me the same amount of time and trouble for each bike. The R1150 and R1200 iABS (servo) systems are the same.

Off-season is the time to do it, as you pull the bodywork for other service as well.

By the way, here is an excellent write-up on the bleeding procedure by Dana Hager:
http://users.rcn.com/dehager/service/service_abs3.pdf.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rdwalker; Feb 18th, 2013 at 11:16 pm.
post #7 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 5:44 am

To make things even easier, I purchased a few 7 mm open-end spanners (just cheapies) and bent them at various angles to fit the bleeders on the modulator unit. Hope this helps.

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 6:20 am

The clear hoses and having your catch bottle ABOVE what you're bleeding will keep the dreaded air out. It worked great on my 03 but I haven't done the 05 yet........

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 7:52 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
I found a post that works great for me but not sure if it was ever put in the hall of wisdom. I place the vent lines on the reservoir caps in a bottle of fluid. The vacuum created by running the servo pump draws fresh fluid into the reservoir and keeps them full. For me this was much easier that messing with the vacuum bleed system.

Attached picture does NOT have the tubes connected to the reservoir cap vents. It is just pictoral reference on how it is done.
All, Thanks for the useful tips and write up. BigBear's tip of sealing the rear reservoir overflow tubes in clean brake fluid to automatically refill is brilliant! I didn't think of that.

Jim
post #10 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:08 am

Talking Re: Flushing Integral ABS Brakes

Sorry, it just looks like trouble ready to happen to me. I think I'll still use the Stealer in Kansas City to do the flushing every 2 years on my "03LT's modulator. The wheel circuts are very simple to do , however, so I can do them myself and often with the tube and bag method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
The pump makes the flushing procedure very simple - actually, much easier than standard system. No playing with the lever, no futzing opening and closing the bleeder nipple. Just squeeze brake lever, crack the nipple and watch it flush by itself.

Here is a useful tip I came across recently in a thread on ADVrider:use 3 clear tubes (or 6 tubes) at one time on the modulator, to avoid having to move the drain tube as you move from nipple to nipple while doing the control circuits. That worked very well for me.

I just did my '03 RT (servo), '06 GS (servo) and '09 GS (non-servo) and it took me the same amount of time and trouble for each bike. The R1150 and R1200 iABS (servo) systems are the same.

Off-season is the time to do it, as you pull the bodywork for other service as well.

By the way, here is an excellent write-up on the bleeding procedure by Dana Hager:

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #11 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 10:56 am

Quote:

I scanned this PDF and in it I see a filler adapter (funnel thingy) attached to the ABS unit. Do I *need* that or can I attach hoses to the nipples on the ABS unit and have it suck the new fluid in? My assumption is that I can put hoses on the nipples as shown in the pic and draw fluid in through each one in turn without having to use the filler funnel.

I've never flushed an ABS system, but I've done fluid on cars (excluding ABS) and motorcycle without ABS before.

Thanks in advance - this board has convinced me to do the 12k service myself and has already been a huge help with swapping out my stock springs for hyperpros.

Chris W.
post #12 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 11:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren
I scanned this PDF and in it I see a filler adapter (funnel thingy) attached to the ABS unit. Do I *need* that or can I attach hoses to the nipples on the ABS unit and have it suck the new fluid in? My assumption is that I can put hoses on the nipples as shown in the pic and draw fluid in through each one in turn without having to use the filler funnel.

I've never flushed an ABS system, but I've done fluid on cars (excluding ABS) and motorcycle without ABS before.

Thanks in advance - this board has convinced me to do the 12k service myself and has already been a huge help with swapping out my stock springs for hyperpros.

Chris W.
I assume you are doing a 2005 or newer. You don't NEED the funnel I believe. Take off the caps and refill there. But since I do have funnel and am close,you are welcome to borrow it.
Or we could call a tech session and do several.
post #13 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Hey Dan,

My bike is in a state of nearly complete undress at the moment so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I just finished spring re-install and changed air filter and plugs yesterday. I need to get a siphon to drain my tank and I'm gonna do the fuel filter. I'm not 100% sure what else I need to do, but I thought rear drive oil was on the list. Also, I expect that I'll take a shot at the brakes before all is said and done. I may take you up on the funnel offer - I'm right at 610 and 10 on the west side.

Is the funnel serving the same purpose as the hoses (i.e. both are methods to get new brake fluid in the ABS unit), or do I have it wrong?

Chris W.
post #14 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 12:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hey Dan,

My bike is in a state of nearly complete undress at the moment so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. I just finished spring re-install and changed air filter and plugs yesterday. I need to get a siphon to drain my tank and I'm gonna do the fuel filter. I'm not 100% sure what else I need to do, but I thought rear drive oil was on the list. Also, I expect that I'll take a shot at the brakes before all is said and done. I may take you up on the funnel offer - I'm right at 610 and 10 on the west side.

Is the funnel serving the same purpose as the hoses (i.e. both are methods to get new brake fluid in the ABS unit), or do I have it wrong?

Chris W.
Most of those tubes are outlets for bleeding. But I have not done flushes on a new model.
post #15 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 12:50 pm

Can someone else confirm the practice after finishing of rinsing off the modulator & wheel cylinders w water to remove trace amounts of brake fluid that in time will soften paint? I've done this as a routine practice since DOT 4 etc is water soluble but never seen anything written on it. Of course you don't want to allow any water to get into the system.
post #16 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 12:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Chris - what year is your LT? This write up is for an earlier version ABS, not the Integral ABS on 02LTs & up. Brake fluid is added at the handlebar reservoir for the front control circuit, the rear reservoir rear chamber for the front wheel circuit and the rear reservoir front chamber for the rear control and wheel circuits. No fluid is added at the ABS control unit.

Jim

Jim
post #17 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG
Chris - what year is your LT? This write up is for an earlier version ABS, not the Integral ABS on 02LTs & up. Brake fluid is added at the handlebar reservoir for the front control circuit, the rear reservoir rear chamber for the front wheel circuit and the rear reservoir front chamber for the rear control and wheel circuits. No fluid is added at the ABS control unit.

Jim

Mine is 2007, so is there a different procedure for the 2005's and up?
post #18 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 1:34 pm

There is an addendum for 2005+ models, IIRC.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #19 of 26 Old Feb 19th, 2013, 6:38 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You really need the funnel for the 05 and up as the reservoirs are on the ABS unit and they are black. The only way to see the level when flushing is to look in the hole, thus the funnel gives you a better visual. As far as the six hoses on the control unit - not needed for a flush just the two tall ports. Now if you have air and need to bleed then all you use the three ports in sequence until all air is out for each circuit with air.

The late 2001 -2004 have two ports on the sides of the ABS unit and they are not easy to get to with out the BMW tool, but again not needed for a flush. Just the two tall ports.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #20 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 9:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
There is an addendum for 2005+ models, IIRC.

I have the Clymer's manual - is that sufficient and/or are there any steps in the manual that you guys have found that are extraneous? Dan has offered to let me borrow his funnel so I should be ok there.

I have searched for, but cannot find, a DIY write up for 2005+ brake flush. Am I just really bad at searching?

Thanks again for all your input.

Chris W.
post #21 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 12:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I have the Clymer's manual - is that sufficient and/or are there any steps in the manual that you guys have found that are extraneous? Dan has offered to let me borrow his funnel so I should be ok there.

I have searched for, but cannot find, a DIY write up for 2005+ brake flush. Am I just really bad at searching?

Chris W.
Top left of the page, Files
Technical documents
third document on page
post #22 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 12:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:

Chris W.
Clymer's does not cover the integrated brakes at all. I guess I need to update the addendum as that was created several years ago but it is still valid. Far better though to use the Beemer Bone yard funnel but not absolutley necessary.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #23 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin
Top left of the page, Files
Technical documents
third document on page

SORRY. I'll go ahead and admit it.... I've been on this board (off/on) for 8 months or so and that is the FIRST time I've looked with any comprehension at that menu bar. Ergh.

Thanks for pointing it out....

Chris W.
post #24 of 26 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 12:40 pm

I'm in the process of doing this for the first time, and it remains to be seen how easy it is to "control" using the servo unit to pump the fluid, but from the looks of the YouTube videos it's quite easy. The speed with which the level drops in the funnel is proportional to the pressure you apply at the other end, as you'd expect.
post #25 of 26 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 2:39 pm

Chris, keep in mind that on the 2005+ models there is a seperate master cylinder reservoir for the foot brake, hidden behind the RH side cover. The bleed process will be similar to that for the front brake, keeping the master cylinder reservoir full when bleeding the control circuit.

Niel asked about washing the working area with water after flushing. I use a mild detergent to clean up around all bleed screws and wherever brake fluid was spilled, rinse with water and then blow the water off either with compressed air or with a leaf blower.

André Strydom
BMW MOA #140995

"And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12
post #26 of 26 Old Mar 19th, 2014, 2:49 pm

I think I go over this in my videos...

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in