Remote unlocking - observation - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hschisler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 5:12 pm Thread Starter

Remote unlocking - observation

My '05 has been locked up and the key removed for the past 4 weeks. This hasn't been done in my 2 years of ownership. When I attempted to unlock the cases remotely yesterday there was no sign of life, though the red LED on the fob was flicking. Battery in the fob is good, I replace them annualy at re-registration time. Battery in the bike is also fine and is looked after periodically by an electronic tender. So I put the key in the ignition switch, turned to on, waited for the self test to complete then switched off. Removed the key, pressed the fob to unlock and instantly all was well. Don't quite understand the logic behind this, but I suspect it may be something to do with the alarm/security internal battery. Another one to remember

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 3:54 pm

Re: Remote unlocking - observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by K100Dennis
My '05 has been locked up and the key removed for the past 4 weeks. This hasn't been done in my 2 years of ownership. When I attempted to unlock the cases remotely yesterday there was no sign of life, though the red LED on the fob was flicking. Battery in the fob is good, I replace them annualy at re-registration time. Battery in the bike is also fine and is looked after periodically by an electronic tender. So I put the key in the ignition switch, turned to on, waited for the self test to complete then switched off. Removed the key, pressed the fob to unlock and instantly all was well. Don't quite understand the logic behind this, but I suspect it may be something to do with the alarm/security internal battery. Another one to remember
I'm having the exact same problem right now - I'm effectively locked out of the LT. The bike's battery is just a few weeks old, and when I first saw the problem a few minutes ago I went to the local electronics store to replace the fob battery. Still no good.

My question for you (and anyone else!): Does the above procedure work if the alarm is set? I'm reluctant to try this procedure because (a) I'm not sure if the alarm is set, and (b) when I put the key in the ignition and turn it on (when the alarm is set), the alarm goes off. If I have a different problem than you had I don't want to have the alarm sounding until the battery dies.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 4:32 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes the alarm will go off when you turn on the key. But this may also work as soon as the alarm goes off press the disarm button and hope for the best.

Also Howard you need to delete some of your stored PMs as I could not respond to yours because you box was FULL!

I would try cycling the alarm FOB to arm and un-arm several times as It might get it to clear.

And for Dennis, I took delivery of my bike in June of 04 and I use one FOB only and have never changed the battery in it. Never had an issue.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 4:47 pm

Garage

Howard we both have the same year machine.
This happened to me while mine was in the garage and about a year old. Frustrated I called the dealer and was told about radio frequency interference. He told me don't change the battery try the other fob. Still did not work. After my second call to the dealer and after cooling down I tried it later and worked just like that.
Two questions are you basically parked in pretty much the same spot/area that you normally do. And yes I think trying the key activates something. Since you are not in your garage I understand your concern about trying it. Have not used my alarm at home since that incident.
Let it sit awhile and see what happens later. And approach the bike from the rear and aim the fob at the trunk. The receiver is supposed to be under the trunk.
ride safe
post #5 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 4:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That is a good point Bill I forgot to mention. You want to reduce the FOB to alarm distance to overcome some RF sources like store auto doors and many other sources of interference. Point the FOB right at the top of the taillight assy.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #6 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 5:08 pm

All is well. I, uh, had a bit of a dumba$$ attack here.

Concern (a) above was resolved when I looked at the flashing alarm light on the instrument panel and determined the alarm was off. This made me feel better about proceeding with the process described above. I had already tried cycling the fob off and on several times but nothing registered with the bike; it's parked in the same spot it always is and I was very close to the bike when using the fob.

So, I tried the OP's procedure: key in ignition, turn the bike on, let it cycle, turn the bike off. The fob then worked. Don't know why, but it did. I will keep the new battery in the fob since the original was at least 2 years old.

Thanks for your quick replies. I'm going to gear up and go for a short ride in NOLA's 96 degree weather.

PS: John - I will delete a bunch of old PMs right now. Thanks for letting me know.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 5:10 pm

Garage

After a battery change
You need to synchronize fob with alarm Page 35 -
LED will light up after battery change.
Hold the fob in range of receiver and press the Lock button twice in succession.
LED starts flashing and goes out a few seconds later.
Remote is now ready for use.
ride safe
post #8 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 5:18 pm

Garage

Good you got it going.
And your short rides somehow turns into long ones enjoy.
Like John mentioned I am still on the original battery though I carry the new one with me since then. '09 bought in 2010. I keep my books with me on every trip. Hope I never need to go into panic mode.
ride safe
post #9 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Good you got it going.
And your short rides somehow turns into long ones enjoy.
Like John mentioned I am still on the original battery though I carry the new one with me since then. '09 bought in 2010. I keep my books with me on every trip. Hope I never need to go into panic mode.
ride safe
Thanks. I keep my LT manuals with me, too, but they were locked in the side case and I couldn't get to them until I turned the bike on/off. After I installed the new fob battery I did not need to sync the fob with the bike. It just worked.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #10 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 9:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Remember Howard you can always get into the side cases with the key even when locked by central locking. The 1/4 turn trick. (does not work on the oddiments box).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2013, 11:28 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Thanks. I keep my LT manuals with me, too, but they were locked in the side case and I couldn't get to them until I turned the bike on/off. After I installed the new fob battery I did not need to sync the fob with the bike. It just worked.
Duh! what was I thinking
Notice I used two words in my first post frustrated and cooling down And like I said I was at home at the time so my manual kit was in house.
And thanks again John Z when I am in the panic zone thoughtfulness goes out the window. My concern was new bike why isn't this thing working
ride safe
post #12 of 19 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Duh! what was I thinking
Notice I used two words in my first post frustrated and cooling down And like I said I was at home at the time so my manual kit was in house.
And thanks again John Z when I am in the panic zone thoughtfulness goes out the window. My concern was new bike why isn't this thing working
ride safe
I hear you. Once I took a second to think about it, there's a very easy - and obvious - way to tell if the alarm is set. That little flashing red light on the instrument cluster!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #13 of 19 Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
Remember Howard you can always get into the side cases with the key even when locked by central locking. The 1/4 turn trick. (does not work on the oddiments box).
Thanks for the reminder, John. I've never done it but I think I'll check it out today. It was clever of BMW to give us a way into the locked cases when the fob isn't working.
jock1919 likes this.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #14 of 19 Old Apr 1st, 2016, 9:25 pm

Hi Joel from Nelson City in New Zealand I want to sincerely thank you for the tip of unlocking my side boxes by turning the key a quarter turn.

I have a problem with my 2006 K1200LTE security system.

I have had my battery on a trickle charger as I live in Samoa in the Pacific and Nelson NZ.

On returning I see the trickle charger is non operational. I checked the 3amp fuse on the battery and that is fine. I then put the trickle charger on my wife's motorcycle and it is charging normally.

My remote control battery's on both remotes are fine.

I cannot find any information of which tab locks or unlocks the security system so please excuse this question but there is a rough tab and a smooth tab on the remote control. Can someone please clarify which one is for turning on to arm the system and which one disarms the system off.

I will have my battery tested immediately as it is just 3 months old.

I cannot thank you enough for considering my issue.

Best regards and God Bless America.
Joel Smith
Retired Police Commissioned Officer
post #15 of 19 Old Apr 1st, 2016, 9:37 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The smooth button unlocks and disarms the alarm. The rough (or ribbed) locks and arms the alarm. Usually one press will lock and a second will arm as well. usually one press on the smooth will both unlock and disarm. If there is local RF interference hold the remote close to the latch on the top case as the alarm is directly under the top case. If you are still having trouble and want to bypass the alarm that is well documented but you loose the central locking feature.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 19 Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 4:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The smooth button unlocks and disarms the alarm. The rough (or ribbed) locks and arms the alarm. Usually one press will lock and a second will arm as well. usually one press on the smooth will both unlock and disarm. If there is local RF interference hold the remote close to the latch on the top case as the alarm is directly under the top case. If you are still having trouble and want to bypass the alarm that is well documented but you loose the central locking feature.
Wow. The 05 LT has remote unlocking???? I had no clue. I just bought mine and it came with one key. No fob. I guess I need to order a fob. Pretty cool....

Patrick Russell
I live and ride in Illinois, which has some of the straightest roads in the country.

1984 Bluish Honda CB 650 (retired)
1986 Red Honda Nighthawk 450 (abandoned)
Didn't own a bike from 1999 to 2012
1997 Black Honda Valkyrie (still own)
2005 Ocean Blue BMW K1200LT "Apocalypse" (bought in March '16)

IBA Saddlesore 1000

Bucket List destinations:
Sturgis (maybe)
Nova Scotia
Pacific Coast highway
post #17 of 19 Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 3:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Almost every 05 came with it but it was an option so you may not have it. Remove the liner for the top case and you should see a solenoid attached behind the latch if you do have it. Or remove the rear seat and find the barrel connector in the center by the top case. Next to it will be a small flat two pin connector.

The problem with ordering a FOB is you also need the "secret" code for the alarm. The only way to get it is to get the number off the alarm itself and have a dealer send that seed number to Germany for the matching "secret" code.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #18 of 19 Old Apr 2nd, 2016, 6:08 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The problem with ordering a FOB is you also need the "secret" code for the alarm. The only way to get it is to get the number off the alarm itself and have a dealer send that seed number to Germany for the matching "secret" code.
John, Are you saying that my double secret decoder ring I got a long time ago from Kellogg's wont work with a new FOB.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #19 of 19 Old Apr 3rd, 2016, 10:56 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
John, Are you saying that my double secret decoder ring I got a long time ago from Kellogg's wont work with a new FOB.
Only if you opened the Kellogg's box IN Germany.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in