Seat question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 6:19 am Thread Starter

Seat question

There was an archived post that I had read about seats (not another seat thread!!) but I can't find the answer I was looking for. There's a company, not Corbin not Bill Mayer and not Russell, that will take your original stock seat and cut the foam according to your weight and height and basically customize it for a very reasonable cost.
Can anyone direct me to the company that does that please?
I am vertically challenged and the seat on my K1200LT is a bit too high and a bit too wide. The company can cut the foam down so that I can get up to 3" lower.
HELP!!
Thanks
Bill
Also...I'm new to the forum and I'm sure I'll get a lot of useful information out of you all. I just traded my 94 R100RT for this bike for touring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 8:26 am

Re: Seat question

You might be thinking of Rich's Custom Seats out of Washington state. They can be reached at 866.328.9774 and seen at:

www.richscustomseats.com

Happy riding, and welcome to the Forum!

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.
post #3 of 29 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 8:31 am Thread Starter

If I remember correctly...it was "(something) Maniacs)....does that ring a bell with anyone?

post #4 of 29 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2234
. The company can cut the foam down so that I can get up to 3" lower.
You've got 2 inches to work with if you have a 99-04, and 2.5 inches to work with if you have an 05-09. You can lower either about 1/2" by grinding off the stops on the pan and removing the height adjuster bar.

A better alternative - but by no means inexpensive - are these: http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=801

...or simply have a custom cobbler add height to your existing riding boots for about $100.00 with a grippy Vibram sole like Mayatur.

Lowering an LT is possible, but very expensive, will cause serious cornering issues plus the sidestand and centerstand will also need to be modified.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 29 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 9:57 am

I think you're thinking of:

http://www.meancitycycles.com/

Have a Great Day

Alan Hinman
2000LT
2002LT
post #6 of 29 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 9:59 am

Try a pair of Skechers "Work," Shape-ups. They have a nice grip sole and elevate your height. They work for me and I'm "challenged" vertically.

06 K1200 LT
03 Yamaha Roadstar Custom
post #7 of 29 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

MEAN CITY CYCLES...................That's the one!!! Thanks
post #8 of 29 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 3:56 pm

I'm looking at options too due to 30" inseam. First I got Logger boots from Red Wing Shoes that have thick soles & heels. They are a big help but I'm thinking they'll be too hot in the summer.

Option 2 is to lower the OEM seat by removing the adjustment bar & trimming the plastic panels.

Option 3 is Astech in Indiana - I forget which town but near Kokomo. They will measure your fit to the bike, peel back the vinyl, cut out some foam & replace it with gel. It costs about $175 with heated seat. They will do it while you wait with an appt.

I am still on the fence about the latter options. Let us know what you do!

Jim

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #9 of 29 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 5:34 am Thread Starter

Jim...I have talked to a few people that say take the height bar off the seat, remove the pads, and it will lower the seat. I have a 30" inseam on a good day...28-29" normally. I have some boot with thick soles that help. This "Mean City Cycles" will remove or contour the foam in the seat to your specs...and they have different options. you can get away cheap @$70 incl shipping...
I haven't heard anything bad about them............. That's probably the way I'll go. Here in Michigan the riding season won't happen for a couple months, so I have time to think about it.
post #10 of 29 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 7:23 am

Quote:
Jim...I have talked to a few people that say take the height bar off the seat, remove the pads, and it will lower the seat. I have a 30" inseam on a good day...28-29" normally. I have some boot with thick soles that help. This "Mean City Cycles" will remove or contour the foam in the seat to your specs...and they have different options. you can get away cheap @$70 incl shipping...
I haven't heard anything bad about them............. That's probably the way I'll go. Here in Michigan the riding season won't happen for a couple months, so I have time to think about it.
Keep us posted. I'm down in Kalkaska and would like to see it. I've got a30" inseam and put a Corbin on my LT it is much wider than the stock seat. Now I'm on my tip toes when stopped.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #11 of 29 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 8:56 am

Re: Lowering the OEM Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
Keep us posted. I'm down in Kalkaska and would like to see it. I've got a30" inseam and put a Corbin on my LT it is much wider than the stock seat. Now I'm on my tip toes when stopped.
Being on tip toes for me is quite unnerving - it gives little margin to right the bike once into a slight lean and I've pulled a calf muscle in that situation - not to mention pulling a hamstring unsuccessfully trying to prevent dropping the bike at a stop on day 3 of ownership in October 2012. That event had me questioning if the LT is too much bike for me but I got past that. That was before I got my Elton John boots that improved my stance as well as realization never to stop with the handlebars turned!

I decided to give it some time before jumping in to modify or replace the seat right off the bat, but have pretty much decided to take the next step to modify the existing seat. Lowering the OEM seat might be next, but I don't really like the idea of cutting off the posts securing the side panels and trimming the plastic panels since that is irreversible. Also, I am concerned that losing the lateral support against the seat shifting may be an issue. Can anyone who's done that weigh in on your impressions?

Thanks, Jim

Jim
post #12 of 29 Old Feb 16th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Garage

Quote:
Jim...I have talked to a few people that say take the height bar off the seat, remove the pads, and it will lower the seat. I have a 30" inseam on a good day...28-29" normally. . . .
Not making fun.
I have no issues with height So I am not commenting on that. But I was slightly amused by your statement 30" on a good day. If that's the case why not have a good day all the time then there will be no need for alterations to the seat.
ride safe
post #13 of 29 Old Feb 16th, 2013, 2:50 pm

Interestingly enough, we tend to be about 3/4" taller in the morning than the end of the day. I don't think our inseams change though.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 29 Old Feb 16th, 2013, 10:15 pm

If anybody decides to do away with that seat height adjustment bar I sure would like to have one- willing to pay a reasonable amount for the bar plus shipping- pm me!

Biknut

2000 K1200LT

Previous Rides (in reverse order, since 1974):

'95 Kawasaki Concours
'84 Honda V65 Magna
'80 Honda CM 400E
'73 Honda XL 250
'69 Honda CL 175

post #15 of 29 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 5:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
Not making fun.
I have no issues with height So I am not commenting on that. But I was slightly amused by your statement 30" on a good day. If that's the case why not have a good day all the time then there will be no need for alterations to the seat.
ride safe
Bill...after having 4 spinal surgeries and a knee joint replacement...the only good days are when I'm riding!! If I can make myself a little more stable in the seat it would make it even better.
post #16 of 29 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Garage

Quote:
Bill...after having 4 spinal surgeries and a knee joint replacement...the only good days are when I'm riding!! If I can make myself a little more stable in the seat it would make it even better.
Had I known it was that serious . . .
I would have skipped on my comment. I did not grasp the severity of your statement. Hope you accept my apology. Hope you accomplish that mod to improve your comfort.
ride safe
post #17 of 29 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 8:10 pm

With the stock seat, after about 45 minutes I'd start squirming.

I'm thinking that if you spend $175 to have foam taken out of the seat you might wind up with a seat you start squiring on in less than an hour?

bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 29 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 8:13 pm

oh. are you using mc crash boots or something with thinner soles?

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #19 of 29 Old Feb 18th, 2013, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
oh. are you using mc crash boots or something with thinner soles?
What does that mean? My boots are 8" logger boots, heavy heeled and are comfortable riding. Unless I do something with the seat, they are the only way I can stand flat footed.

For now that's OK, but I'm exploring other options and am certainly open to positive suggestions. Every approach has its drawbacks. I don't plan to spend $600-800 on an aftermarket seat without trying it. The Astech seat mod I'm considering is where they custom check your fit to the seat and then narrow / lower / dish as appropriate replacing the some of the OEM foam with reshaped gel. They seem to have a lot of references that attest to how more comfortable the seat is on long rides. I would love to hear from someone with an LT who has one.

Jim
post #20 of 29 Old Feb 21st, 2013, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06
Try a pair of Skechers "Work," Shape-ups. They have a nice grip sole and elevate your height. They work for me and I'm "challenged" vertically.
I also have the Corbin "Low" seat.

06 K1200 LT
03 Yamaha Roadstar Custom
post #21 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 8:10 am

I believe you are referring to a company called Astech seats out of Illinois. I had my seat redone by them in 2012 and they changed my seat from a one hour seat to a four hour seat, the price was $169 plus shipping to them. Good luck.
http://www.astechseat.com/

Last edited by podunk294; Feb 23rd, 2013 at 8:23 am. Reason: spelling
post #22 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 8:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG
What does that mean? My boots are 8" logger boots, heavy heeled and are comfortable riding. Unless I do something with the seat, they are the only way I can stand flat footed.

For now that's OK, but I'm exploring other options and am certainly open to positive suggestions. Every approach has its drawbacks. I don't plan to spend $600-800 on an aftermarket seat without trying it. The Astech seat mod I'm considering is where they custom check your fit to the seat and then narrow / lower / dish as appropriate replacing the some of the OEM foam with reshaped gel. They seem to have a lot of references that attest to how more comfortable the seat is on long rides. I would love to hear from someone with an LT who has one.
I had mine done by Astech last year and they turned my 1 hour seat into a four hour seat with a one week turn around. http://www.astechseat.com/

Last edited by podunk294; Feb 23rd, 2013 at 8:24 am. Reason: link
post #23 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 8:22 am

Talking Re: Seat question

The company is called Astech seats (pun intended no doubt) They rebuilt mine last season for under $200 including shipping. My seat is now a 4 hour seat compared to factory 1 hour seat.

http://www.astechseat.com/
post #24 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 6:37 pm

Agree on Astech Seat. The guys are great to work with, the result (total less than 2 hours) is amazing, and with the original cover on the seat, it's impossible to tell that any work was done. I gained at least 1-2 inches. I drove to their shop-nice ride to Indiana, loved watching them work, and drove home the same day-all from Milwaukee. Price is way better than anyone else, but price means nothing if you can't sit on it all day. I've done 840 miles in a day and had no issues.

Dave
post #25 of 29 Old Feb 23rd, 2013, 6:41 pm

Astech Seats is the one. Take a ride to Indiana to their shop, let them fit it to you. Price is right, their work is top notch, and the result is what you want.

I gained at least 1-2 inches, simply by their shaping and shaving the seat sides. I had them put the original covers put back on and you can't tell anything was done. I had a friend (same bike, same height as me) sit on it, and he couldn't believe it.

Dave
post #26 of 29 Old Feb 25th, 2013, 10:11 am

Dave & Podunk,

Thanks for your positive feedback regarding Astech. So you gained 1-2" with the rework without removing the seat adjustment bar or trimming the side panels? That would be exactly what I need, not to mention the improved comfort as a bonus. I'll be taking a ride to Indiana soon!

Jim

Jim
post #27 of 29 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 7:16 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Seat question

I decided to send my seat to Mean City Cycles for a modification. Allan, at Mean City Cycles, will do whatever you want done to your seat. He will take off/put on foam where you feel you need it most. They will use memory foam or Gel Pad as needed.
Because I'm vertically challenged with a 29" inseam, Allen said he could lower me 3-31/2'" which would make it easy to be flat footed. He will also trim down the sides where your thighs rest against the seat.If it comes back to me and seems a little low and less comfortable, I can always go out and get a Gel Pad.The priority for me is to be FLAT FOOTED for stability.I recently put on 4600 miles on a R100RT stock seat so I'm sure I'llbe able to handle any alterations Alan cas do for me.AND the prices can't be beat. Check out there web site at meancitycycles.com You won't be disappointed.
post #28 of 29 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 9:22 am

Razz, Didn't you want to ride there to have them check your fit to the bike or couldn't they do it while you wait? Please post back the result. It sounds like Mean City does similar work as Astech in Jonesboro Indiana, but for me Astech is closer (3 hour ride)and they will do it while I wait with an appointment. I expect to do this sometime in April.

Jim

Jim
post #29 of 29 Old Mar 12th, 2013, 11:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
...A better alternative - but by no means inexpensive - are these: http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=801....
I checked out the website after I chose the link for English. Looks like great boots, but I couldn't find any way to order, nor did I see any prices. They want interested parties to contact them. What a PIA. Yes, I noticed they're handmade, but I don't want to waste everybody's time and phone calls just to learn they're not within my budget.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in