LED strip lights inside aftermarket light smoke turn signal lenses - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 1:14 am Thread Starter

Arrow LED strip lights inside aftermarket light smoke turn signal lenses

I installed a couple of 4inch white LED strip lights, one in each front signal lense. Looks really good actually.

Check it out: http://youtu.be/6WAzlsZLMl4

Video still uploading.... 11:14pm PST, it'll be another hour or so. Stupid slow upload speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 3:40 am

Re: LED strip lights inside aftermarket light smoke turn signal lenses

Looks really good Peter :-)

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 7:03 am

Nice ones! Just out of curiosity: Are those legal in the States (or Canada ) or is it so that nobody IRL just don't care?

In Europe the authorities are pretty manic about all lights being nothing but that defined in different directives. And "xxxxx city's finest" really care and flag you off if you are lit up like christmas tree...

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 7:45 am

Thanks for sharing. I will certainly do that to my 2003 really soon.

2009 R1200RT
Past Rides: 2003 K1200LT "Gertrude" (sold) / 2004 R1200CLC "Petunia" (sold) 2005 Kawi Concours (gone)

post #5 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 9:35 am Thread Starter

Happy to share.

Don't think there are any legal implications... aside from the white colour but I think the 2005+ have a dual filament bulb there so essentially this is copying that, just not yellow.

No issues here in BC Canada. They don't pull you over unless you have underbody NEON and glow like a nuke. In Europe they are a bit more strict. But I have to say, on my 09' Jetta TDI I put in some blue LED bulbs on the license plate... looked fantastic - with the taillights... red/blue just like the dash lighting. Damn cops, had to replace them..... meanwhile.... they run some red colour CONSUL plates here for embassy people... you can't read the damn thing from 15ft away. I suppose so it's when foreign diplomats do criminal activities they get away with it??

They appear ok in daylight but impossible at night: and this was my car:

I thought it just looked so integrated like BMW would have designed that.... vs sticking the strip on the body panels somewhere. I looked around the bike placing them just with my fingers to see how it looked. Then I thought of inside the lenses.

There's a battery and momentary ON switch with the package of lights so you can try them before you stick'em on, or in the store.

Last edited by westvandude; Feb 9th, 2013 at 9:56 am.
post #6 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 9:59 am

Nice mod! I know in NY the light would have to be amber by law, but being seen is the number one priority if you ask me.

My 05 has running lights (amber) in there so it's not a mod I'd need. But being a bit of an LED guy, I converted my Honda VTX to LED and HID. In that instance I used some Custom Dynamics LEDs with a dual brightness adapter in amber, that way i have amber running lights and turn signals all in one. A bit of wiring to do but it is definitely possible. Because I swapped the original turn signal bulb to LED I also needed a load adapter to keep the flash rate at the right speed.

Anyway, nice job and thanks for videoing it for us all to see!

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #7 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:24 am Thread Starter

Recently I put LED bulbs in my 01' F250 and instead of load resistors went with a replacement "LED" signal relay from Napa. Works great, but the flash rate is slightly faster than OEM but that's just the electronic relay nothing I can do about that.

Response time of LED's is also much quicker than regular bulbs, very useful for brake lights.

The LED's in the truck are these: GP Thunder 3157 LED bulbs not cheap but sold by the pair. Believe it or not they were brighter than my OEM bulbs!! I run clear frosted OE looking taillights, on a white truck looks real clean with lights off.

I got the front signal bulbs also in 3157 amber GP Thunder units... but NOT impressed. Not that bright so stick with just red replacements for now if you do them.

Here's the video on those: F250 LED taillight bulbs

I think the K1200LT uses the 1157 taillight bulbs right? Like these: 1157 LED bulbs you can get some crazy bright ones now. Like I said, very fast "on" time.
post #8 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:50 am

Looking good.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #9 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude
But I have to say, on my 09' Jetta TDI I put in some blue LED bulbs on the license plate... looked fantastic - with the taillights... red/blue just like the dash lighting. Damn cops, had to replace them.....
Looks nice, but I would pull you over in a heartbeat, and probably write you a citation as a souvenir of our time together.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 13 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 8:57 pm

The LED looks really nice in the turn signal housing.

A few of things to consider, neither of which takes away from how good they look or from your awesome video:

1. Easy to convert turn signal to include running light function. Just swap out socket for a brake lamp socket (available from virtually any dealer) and power the running lamp from parking lamp (what you tapped into for your LED) or, if using a switched aux fuse block, from said fuse block. Having this conversion in addition to your LED mod might look cool.

2. The stock amber lenses have a reflector moulded into the trailing portion (where you put your LED). You might get even more brightness if you put some white SOLAS or DOT C-2 reflective tape on the back (silver) portion of the housing. With the way you have your LED oriented, I suspect it would be even brighter than it is now.

3. The parking lamp bulbs (in headlamp housing) were originally amber. I, too, replaced mine with LEDs, but I stuck with amber to add an additional color band to the front. My current LT, however, is an '05 and so the parking lamps are in the high-beam housing, apart from the low-beam lamp(s) (I have twin low-beam projector HIDs in my Ducati Designs kit).

Again, great job and thank you for sharing it with us.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #11 of 13 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 10:53 am

Brilliant! Nice video too.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #12 of 13 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 12:05 pm

nice mod ! as a newbie to this stuff how did you wire into the headlight for power i would really like to do this to my lt. the more visability the better.
thanks for the video
post #13 of 13 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Garage

Nice video.
Wish everything we bought or added came with a How To video like yours. Explanation was very good and clear. One bit of advice grow your Thumb finger nail you will have that tape off in a snap.
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in