Sell LT or Fit It? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 12:09 pm Thread Starter

Sell LT or Fit It?

Good day to all!

What's your opinion?

My 02 LT has 104,000 OEM miles on it. The only expense I've incurred is normal wear items (tires, brakes, fluids, maintance items). The bike stranded me a month ago for the first time. The throttle cable broke in the garage (fixed). It's been a great bike for me!!

The bike operates, looks fine! The engine runs STRONG at 100K+ miles. The bike needs a new clutch, slave, seals, front and rear Ohlins, major engine service (valves, timing chain, hoses, etc) and what ever else is found. The bike needs a lot of TLC.

I'm very confident that I received excellent value for my purchase dollars on this machine. Like all machines, they wear out! If you value it, you rebuild it or replace it. I have the Remus pipe with the Rhine West chip on mine. The K1600 is not in the budget. So, I've been looking at some newer LT's with low miles. My concern is I'm buying a used bike which I already have. Selling mine in it's condition, slipping clutch and other worn items has little value in the market. Who wants to spend $ knowing they will have a big expense to make the bike road worthy.

I'll be having the work done. I don't have a lift and I refuse to lay on the ground for how many hours???? Looking at this job, I decided I do not want to wrench on the beast. Why not spend $5K and have my bike back? The repair expense is greater than the bikes value with 100K+ miles. Buying a newer LT is still used and how is it better than my 02?

Do I fix mine or purchase a newer LT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 1:40 pm

Re: Sell LT or Fit It?

I like wrenching, as you can tell from my youtube videos.... so if it was me and she looks in ship shape then fix it.

If you're not a wrenching kinda guy then trade up if the price is right. Sure it's used but if you get one with low miles it's practically new.
post #3 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 2:04 pm

His problem, as I see it, lies in the fact that his bike, of that vintage, has a street value of maybe high 5s or low 6s....assuming that it is in great condition. This one is not, and considering that the bike needs a clutch, seals, suspension, and possibly an engine overhaul, the realistic value, as-is, will be significantly less, assuming he can even find an interested buyer. I don't know what his finances are, but if he's looking to get enough money from the sale of his present ride to partially or substantially finance a newer one....he's going to have a case of 'the shorts'. It's a very tough call....but, unfortunately, very bank-balance driven.

DW

"A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer."

BMW K1200LT "Carpathia"
Suzuki GV1400 Cavalcade "Paladin"
Kawasaki ZX14 Ninja "Shashka"
Kawasaki GPz1100 "Sicarius"
Buell S3 "Pazuzu"
Honda GL1100 Gold Wing "Aurore"
Honda PC800 Pacific Coast "Octavia"
Honda CB750F "Genvieve"

And other remnants of a misspent youth.

post #4 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Unfortunately, your bike may be worth more parted out than sold as-is.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #5 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 3:21 pm

Talking Re: Sell LT or Fit It?

Actually I don't know what you should do.

However, I'm getting close to your situation and I already am pretty sure what I'll do when the time comes.

And that is, I have a '03 LT with 149,592 miles, clutch does not slip, and I have a lot of other parts on this bike that I could sell or use on a '03 or '04 used bike that has less than 60,000 miles that I surely could find somewhere and buy at a price less than $5,000.00 bucks. Heck, the one I buy might be missing a part or two that I already have. I like the wrenching, even laying on rugs on a gravel floor.

I even have a pasemaker, an insulin pump and I'm gonna ride til I can't get on anymore. I plan to be worn out and used up when they bury me!

BUT, at this point in time, I'm not ready to do that. I just ride most every day with a grin on my face. YeeHaa!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 4:34 pm

Talking Re: Sell LT or Fit It?

If you decide to 'part it out' I may have a home for your exhaust & Chip. I'm just sayin'...

You have to do what feels right for you. I bought a Harley for a nice price from a friend, a 1988 Harley Softail Custom. I really enjoyed it, I rode it everywhere, every opportunity I had to get on it I rode it. One day it died on me in Detroit on my way to a job.

Fast forward to several visits to different dealers & shops trying to get it fixed and all ANY of them would tell me is "It may take awhile to figure it out, but you really like this bike so we'll figure it out eventually."

Yes, I liked the bike but not enough to write a blank check to fix it, especially after paying almost $2500 too 4 different guys and still having the damn thing die on me.

So...I sold it last June & bought my 2002 LT. I love it, my wife loves it and my friends think that I'm crazier than they did before because I ride it so much in cold weather conditions.

If it makes you happy invest in it & keep it. You know where all of its problems are and if you do all the stuff on your list you will have something very close to a new bike under the fiberglass. If not sell it, put a few $$$ with the proceeds and go forth & ride!

My only suggestion is to make YOU happy.
post #7 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 4:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Look at it this way, the engine is good for another 100,000 or so. A good used LT will run you 5 or 6 grand. Put 4 or 5 grand into yours and you've got a good dependable machine which you are comfortable with. Yes, the investment is as much or more than it's worth but it's probably a lot less than buying a lower mileage one with a whole bunch of unknowns on it.

post #8 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 8:31 pm

One thing to consider is that you are familiar with your bike. You won't be familiar with the one you buy and may end up having to do much of the same work on your "new" one. My experience is that few if any problems are disclosed from many sellers, dealers do what they can to hide problems that cost them profits to repair, unless it's something that keeps the bike off the road. Individuals, well.....there's all kinds out there and I think the upfront and honest ones tally a bit less than the other type.

I bought my 02, with 97K, needing much of the repairs you described for $3100, spent a grand on parts, borrowed a lift table and did the work. Happy that I did. That bike rocks!!!

02 K1200LTE (103K)
01 Honda Valkyrie (49K)
1998 Goldwing Aspencade (58K)
65 Chevelle coupe
USAF, E7 retired
(509-760-6382) if you are in the area and need help
post #9 of 19 Old Feb 7th, 2013, 11:47 pm

A lift is 650 bucks. Use it once, sell it for a hundred Les than you paid Dorita when you are finished and you will be thousands ahead.
Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #10 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2013, 7:18 am

The down side to having an older LT that is in perfect condition after having all of those repairs done is that your insurance company only goes by book value if you have to file a claim.

The plus side is that insurance is a little lower on the older bike; same for registration.

Off hand, I don't remember people mentioning having to do a lot of engine work at 100K.

Taking care of the clutch is major work. If you need engine work having it done with the LT all apart for the clutch shouldn't be a major expense.

Consider that having a new slave cylinder, seals, and clutch should be a lot less risky than buying a used LT from someone you don't know.

Plus, while your LT is a part, you's have an opportunity to have your FD rebuilt to rule out having that problem in the future.

Best from Tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #11 of 19 Old Feb 8th, 2013, 7:56 am

I agree with Bob, I'd put the money into my own LT rather than buy something unknown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
The down side to having an older LT that is in perfect condition after having all of those repairs done is that your insurance company only goes by book value if you have to file a claim.

The plus side is that insurance is a little lower on the older bike; same for registration.

Off hand, I don't remember people mentioning having to do a lot of engine work at 100K.

Taking care of the clutch is major work. If you need engine work having it done with the LT all apart for the clutch shouldn't be a major expense.

Consider that having a new slave cylinder, seals, and clutch should be a lot less risky than buying a used LT from someone you don't know.

Plus, while your LT is a part, you's have an opportunity to have your FD rebuilt to rule out having that problem in the future.

Best from Tucson
Bob
post #12 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2013, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Re: Sell LT or Fix It?

Good morning and thanks to all for their wisdom on the LT.

After considering my options, repairing my LT is the most cost effective and what I'm most comfortable with. Buying a used LT with unknown wear issues could turn into a money pit. I know my bike and it has been a great machine. Time to get another 100K miles out of the old beast!!

Thanks again for your wisdom

Steve
post #13 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2013, 10:43 am

If you have the time, bring her to Dallas and we will get that clutch/s;ave/seals stuff taken care of.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #14 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2013, 11:28 am Thread Starter

Thank you for a wonderful offer!!!

What time is dinner? I'll bring the beer.

Long story short: Rode out to SoCal back in October and flew back to Denver leaving my LT with family. Before I can ride it back to Colorado late April early May (got to let the snow melt in the high country), I need to get it fixed. I'm here, you're in TX and the bike is in Compton waiting for Valdi to fix it. What time is dinner?

Thanks again for the offer.

Steve
post #15 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:00 pm

I HATE SPELL CHECKERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
A lift is 650 bucks. Use it once, sell it for a hundred Les than you paid Dorita when you are finished and you will be thousands ahead.
Loren
Les than you paid Dorita = less than you paid for it.

Who the hell are Les and Dorita???

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #16 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2013, 12:48 pm

"Who the hell are Les and Dorita???"

I agree with Lor.......
oh, look at the pretty bird!
post #17 of 19 Old Feb 11th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Remember to consider sending the FD out to be rebuilt the proper way. You will then have all of the bad issues taken care of, FD, slave cylinder, and seals.

Oh. I just remembered about drilling a hole in the slave cylinder.

If your budget allows, is it time to replace the shocks?

And if they wind up doing engine repairs insist they verify the cruise control works perfectly when she is all back together again.

Best
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #18 of 19 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwing
His problem, as I see it, lies in the fact that his bike, of that vintage, has a street value of maybe high 5s or low 6s....assuming that it is in great condition. This one is not, and considering that the bike needs a clutch, seals, suspension, and possibly an engine overhaul, the realistic value, as-is, will be significantly less, assuming he can even find an interested buyer. I don't know what his finances are, but if he's looking to get enough money from the sale of his present ride to partially or substantially finance a newer one....he's going to have a case of 'the shorts'. It's a very tough call....but, unfortunately, very bank-balance driven.
A late reply, but I will add my experience. I parted out my 2003 with a bad clutch (95,000m) last year...still have some parts left. I valued the whole bike with a bad clutch at $1500-2K, maybe $4k after repairs. I sold most of the parts at a very reasonable price to get rid of the parts fast. If I didn't know the value, I looked at beemerboneyard and asked 1/2 or less of their price. I have sold over $2600 and probably will get a few hundred more. Most parts, I sold too cheap, but I felt like I was helping out other members who needed the parts. Although there is a lot of work in taking it apart and shipping parts, I did learn a whole lot about disassembly and would not be afraid to do more maintenance on my 2009 LT.

Lowell
post #19 of 19 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I HATE SPELL CHECKERS!

Les than you paid Dorita = less than you paid for it.

Who the hell are Les and Dorita???

Loren
I think a Dorita is a female Dorito.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in