Two-up ride to Squamish BC from W Vancouver video - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 10:06 pm Thread Starter

Arrow Two-up ride to Squamish BC from W Vancouver video

Slapped the gopro on. Just got the bike fixed after replacing front fairing frame and rear subframe. Pretty big job.

Video: http://youtu.be/yX1j9Rryydg 40+ mins into 8mins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 11:01 am

Re: Two-up ride to Squamish BC from W Vancouver video

Nice trip. Very nostalgic for me. I rode this back in the 80s before all of the new road construction. A lot of it was two lane and some sections were downright scary, with a dropoff to the Bay on one side and a cliff wall on the other.

Squamish looks more commercialized than I remember (what place doesn't?) but it's still a beautiful ride with great scenery. Thanks for sharing your vid.

By the way, have you tried experimenting mounting the vidcam in other places on the bike? I finally moved my cam out from behind the windshield and am much happier with the clarity of my road trip vids.
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:42 am Thread Starter

No haven't tried different gopro camera positions yet... just got it for xmas from my wife.

That was my second ride on the BMW. I was going to stick it to my helmet but it has a bit of a rise/rib in the centre so the stick-on mount doesn't fit.... basically I had 2mins to get it organized before heading out the door.

I will take more vids in other positions later. Did you stick yours on the windshield? I have a couple other large suction cups with standard camera mounts and I've used homemade mounts. Such as this video on my SV... damn I luv that bike's acceleration and sound with the RS3 pipes: SV1000S thru the neighbourhood ride - rear cam unfortunately the mic is a bit overloaded.

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 7:56 pm

My vidcam is an older Panasonic hand held model that screws onto a standard 1/4"-20 male camera base, but mounting positions on the LT are limited for me because of the camera shape. I tried the suction cup mount on the radio stingray at first - ended up with windshield glare and bug splatters in my video. So I bought a Pedco UltraClamp on Amazon (less than $25), which is quite versatile.

I have had good luck clamping the vidcam to either the left or right wind wing, just below the mirror. Adjusting the wing to full open, it seems very stable with practically no vibration. The camera has a clear view of the road and scenery with no obstructions visible. Haven't had a bug hit on the lens yet but I guess that's a remote possibility. Oh, yes, and be sure to attach a tether to your camera just in case the suction or clamp mount comes loose on the road.

I have also seen the GoPro suction mounted below the windshield, above the LT nose cone. You'd have to have the remote to use it in this location to start and stop or make adjustments.

As for the helmet mount - I've seen a lot of youtube vids and find that the helmet mount position is distracting when the rider checks for traffic and turns his head to look at the sights.
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 8:25 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude
Slapped the gopro on. Just got the bike fixed after replacing front fairing frame and rear subframe. Pretty big job.

Nice video.
I got one for Christmas also but have not used it outside the house.
In this your first video exactly where is the mount and what type. I want to get a feel for what can be captured and from where before I opt for mounting accessories. I would like to get the main suction mount but not sure what I would get from the stingray position. Because I have a multi-tec helmet I can't use it on top then I can't open face shield. So I am toying with a few ideas. Also are you using LCD touch Bacpac. How did the battery hold up since you did not turn it on and off for the trip. Well just a few questions. One homemade chest mount still have not tested.
ride safe
post #6 of 14 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxbobg
My vidcam is an older Panasonic hand held model that screws onto a standard 1/4"-20 male . . .

I have also seen the GoPro suction mounted below the windshield, above the LT nose cone. You'd have to have the remote to use it in this location to start and stop or make adjustments.

As for the helmet mount - I've seen a lot of youtube vids and find that the helmet mount position is distracting when the rider checks for traffic and turns his head to look at the sights.
Agreed.
The Gopro side helmet mount is a non starter. On a track or a bicycle OK but in the real world of highway travel you lose peripheral vision and the not too caring drivers may get too close blame any mis-hap on the camera on the side of your head.
I have an old Sony video cam but would not chance it, now with the Gopro weight and size is not the issue just where to mount for what I want. Spring is just around the corner.
ride safe
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 14th, 2013, 7:31 pm

Billsmith,
Found the post about the GoPro on the nose cone. Take a look at this and see if it suits your needs. Bob G (all credits to Dan Finazzo).
__________________________________________________ _______________________

dfinazzo
Send a message via AIM to dfinazzo
Re: GoPro HD 2

Mounting the camera on the bike:

1. with a minimum of parts and extensions will give you the best results

2. in the most stable place on the bike will give you the best results

I tried the suction cups all over and the 3M sticky mounts all over and the most stable
are the sticky mounts just above the headlight. Now this is not the most photo unique
angle to shoot from but you get a great view and a steady shot.

Please note in the pics below that placing the white insert in the fitting is essential as it helps dampen out vibrations between the piece mounted the bike and the one that camera is attached to.

The camera setup also uses the wireless sender and receiver thus I can take snap shots
and movies anytime I care to . . .

Note I totally trust and have ridden over 3000 miles with this mounting - no problem. 3M is
even using the adhesive systems to mount truck bodies to frames in lieu of welding. Mind
you a different application but you are not going to tear off the mounting bracket without
significant effort if applied properly. http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...-Tapes/vhb-tape

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

2010 K1300GT
2009 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT - Gone to a New Home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2051_zpsa0061b63.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	37663   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2052_zpsdaea9adc.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	37664  
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 1:18 am

Garage

Yes thanks I saw that post by Dan.
Also I spent much of the week reviewing GoPro threads in our photography. Let me get this out of the way. I was sea sick and discombobulated going back and forth across the pond. One minute I am driving on the right side of the road then on the left and back on the right. I looked at every video I could get my hands on. Many of my questions were answered. Some pushed me into suggesting this video was taken with( . . . . ) from ( . . . .) mount position. Some were obvious others not so. Since I have the luxury of hibernating for the winter I would dig into the videos rather than shovel snow. When the weather breaks I will be testing before any permanent position is decided on. S Frason's perspective for taking the shot from the rider view I like best plus at showing I could narrate what I was feeling/viewing.
ride safe
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 5:32 am

Hey Westvandude,

Have you tried different places on the bike for the GoPro yet? I'm telling you, there is a huge difference in quality of video and the results you get. You think there is only one place to record your vidcam, like on the stingray.

That's BS, there are a dozen good places to record videos, all of them give you different results. Some are better than others, you just have to have to experiment somewhat. I have some wonderful scenes from my road trips, just by moving my vidcam around on the bike.
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 12:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude

Stopped watching when the rap came on.

2006 Yamaha Morphous "The Space Ship"
2005 Honda Reflex "Hi Yo Silver"
2004 Honda Aero Shadow VT750 "Black Beauty"
2003 Yamaha VStar 650 Classic "primero"
2003 Honda Reflex "Red Ryder"
2000 BMW K1200LT Like new as of 5/10/16
1999 BMW K1200LT "The Silver Bullet"
1996 Kawasaki KZ1000P "the 5-0"
1989 BMW K100RS "White Ghost"
1986 Honda Goldwing Espencade 1200 (work in progress)
1982 Honda Goldwing Interstate 1100 (same)
1980 Yamaha XS1100 fast
1979 Yamaha XS1100 just as fast

1986 Honda CT110
1974 Honda ST90
1982 Honda CT70
1980 Honda CT110
1977 Honda CT90
1976 Honda CT90
1968 Honda CT90
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLo
Stopped watching when the rap came on.
+1

I tried the Go-Pro on top of my helmet, and it does screw up the video when turning your head from side to side. I thought doing so would give a better idea of surrounding scenery, but it didn't turn out so well due to constantly and quickly double checking the direction I was going.

Above the headlight looks like a good idea. I'll just have to find one of these remotes mentioned.

BTW, I'm guessing a pub that far away is either a really good place or good excuse to go for that long of a ride, maybe both. I'd probably have fits if that was the closest place for a

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 15th, 2013, 3:50 pm

I want to relive Cache Creek to Whistler on BC hwy 99! Did it 5 years ago w my K1200LT but before video cameras. Absolutely the most memorable road in my 45 years of motorcycling. Beautiful!
post #13 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 1:37 am Thread Starter

It's a gopro suction mount but I think two additional attachments for height/adjustability. I haven't used it in other mounting locations but I've used other cameras with suction mounts on various places before. Going for a ride tomorrow. Might take some more video.
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 7:37 pm

Garage

Thanks for that info.
Keep us posted. Is your weather that much better than mine. I had plenty of sunshine but still around 30 F. Will be watching.
ride safe

"It's a gopro suction mount but I think two additional attachments for height/adjustability. I haven't used it in other mounting locations but I've used other cameras with suction mounts on various places before. Going for a ride tomorrow. Might take some more video."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in