Spring Compressor - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Spring Compressor

OK, I'm going to throw this out into the ether. If anyone on this list needs to borrow a spring compressor I will be happy to send one to them for the shipping costs. Just return it for the next person on your nickel.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 5:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Spring Compressor

Hi Robert, I might take you up on that come spring. I have some shorter springs to put on my R1200GSA. We are snow birding in Florida for the winter, but when we get back home in the spring... I plan on changing my springs out on my GSA.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #3 of 10 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 6:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric
Hi Robert, I might take you up on that come spring. I have some shorter springs to put on my R1200GSA. We are snow birding in Florida for the winter, but when we get back home in the spring... I plan on changing my springs out on my GSA.

Don't know if it will work. I built it for the K1200LT. It has a 2-1/4" hole with clearance for the adjuster fittings. I'm game.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #4 of 10 Old Feb 3rd, 2013, 8:56 pm

..... and if Robert's is in use and you need to use one the same day/week/whatever (or you are closer/more convenient to my area), my spring compressor is also available provided you pay shipping both ways. Mine was made by Robert as well.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #5 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 8:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, thank you for the offer. My original plan to change my spring was to use zip ties. I was planning to put the shock in a press to compress the spring s bit. Then put 6 or 8 zip ties around each par of coils. So the first coil is tided to the second the second coil is hooker to the third & so on. If it takes 500 pounds to compress the spring & there are 5 coils in the spring. So each coil will take 100 pounds to hold it in compression. With 5 zip ties it will only put 20 pound on each of them. Then put the new spring in the press, compress it & zip tie it there. Put in on the shock & after I have it put together, cut the ties.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #6 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi, thank you for the offer. My original plan to change my spring was to use zip ties. I was planning to put the shock in a press to compress the spring s bit. Then put 6 or 8 zip ties around each par of coils. So the first coil is tided to the second the second coil is hooker to the third & so on. If it takes 500 pounds to compress the spring & there are 5 coils in the spring. So each coil will take 100 pounds to hold it in compression. With 5 zip ties it will only put 20 pound on each of them. Then put the new spring in the press, compress it & zip tie it there. Put in on the shock & after I have it put together, cut the ties.
Doesn't sound very safe. I don't trust zip ties for anything structural. Been bit too many times.
Robert

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #7 of 10 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 9:50 am

Smile Re: Spring Compressor

As just having completed this job, I would not use zip ties at all. It might work on the original front shock, but would not work on the rear, and certainly not on the replacements from hyper pro. There is too much force needed and too many things can go wrong too quickly. One zip tie break and it would not take long for the others to follow suit. Fingers don't grow back unless there is some lizard DNA floating around.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying " I'll try again tomorrow".

post #8 of 10 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 11:22 am

Quote:
Sounds like a BAD IDEA and the seeds of an EPIC FAIL.

Keep in mind that, if your reasoning holds true, it may be only 20# per zip when all in place, but each one that breaks or gets cut substantially increases the load on the othes, probably beyond their ability to reliably hold.. Further, you need to release the tension fairly evenly to seat the spring properly.

I though about doing the job with ratchet straps as on a YouTube video I found, another disaster waiting to happen.

YMMV

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #9 of 10 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 11:47 am

Quote:

Wow! Where's Ron and his lectures on motorcycle safety when he's needed?

You must have some really industrial strength zip ties to even ponder such an idea.

I use various sizes of these regularly in my work, and I am always coming across defective ones that break upon tightening due to being stored in extreme heat or excessive exposure to sunlight (again, heat related I'm sure). Others have been cheaply made overseas products. I'd hate to find this out while trying to secure a compressed coil spring.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #10 of 10 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
Sounds like a BAD IDEA and the seeds of an EPIC FAIL.
YMMV
+1. Holding a spring compressed with zip ties? Am I the only one amused by the thought of all those zip ties breaking in rapid succession and wondering what direction the uncoiling spring will take?

Between this and the Roadsmart thread I never knew this site could be so funny. Is the moon full?

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in